How to make a Canbus GPS cable for a 1200GS

hi is this can bus cable the same for a 56 plate gsa and is the connector block in the same place at the headstock.

Brilliant Tip and exellent instructions(even if i did mix up the wires first time)really neatens up the wiring at the front of the bike.Nice one Thanks.

going to do mine soon.
Zumo to the headstock socket, and autocom to the one under the seat.
Picking up two of those sockets from the dealer tomorrow. Hope they both work as there seems to be some controversy that the zumo may/maynot work properly. Looking at the length of the zumo power cable i think i may have to cut it or have a load of free cable.
Still replacemt leads are available.
does anyone know if the autocom works from the rear socket?
I also want a mount for the zumo - preferably on the bars, i dont like the one above the clocks. is touratech the best bet, they tend to take ages to deliver and are expensive.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the extremely helpful articles. uUnfortunately my local dealer also denies the existence of aforementioned Part / Part number. Does anyone know of an online retailer, or can anyone help out? :aidan

Bought a plug from ...

http://www.oxfordbmwbikes.co.uk/

... which arrved by post a couple of days later.

Followed the detailed instructions provided by Andy and co.

Works a treat and frees up my accessory socket for an Autocom.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the extremely helpful articles. uUnfortunately my local dealer also denies the existence of aforementioned Part / Part number. Does anyone know of an online retailer, or can anyone help out? :aidan

There you go :thumb2

I did try that! Linky no worky..

Your right. The Bike web page has gone !

The car dealership page is still there ..

http://www.oxfordbmw.co.uk/

... but the link to "Motorad" is broken.

Has the dealership gone ?

I originally tried to order the part from SLM, but they did not have it in stock.

They did a "dealer wide search" and told me Oxford and them.

Any dealer should be able to do this for you.

Canbus plug

Really having trouble finding a canbus plug/socket for the power outlet at the headstock. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can buy one from?

Can't understand why you are having trouble. I just Goggled for 12v DIN socket and found everyone and their brother is selling them. About a fiver.

Can't understand why you are having trouble. I just Goggled for 12v DIN socket and found everyone and their brother is selling them. About a fiver.

it's not a DIN socket he's after.

he wants the totally different BMW sat nav plug. some bmw dealers won's sell them as they are a "workshop" part.

it's not a DIN socket he's after.

he wants the totally different BMW sat nav plug. some bmw dealers won's sell them as they are a "workshop" part.

Sorry - misunderstood. There is any easy answer though.

On the cable you want to connect, bare about 6mm of wire and stiffen it with a bit of solder. Take the dust cover off the socket and push the stiff wires into the the connection holes. Push the dust cover back on with the wires coming out one edge and cover with insulating or self amalgamating tape.

I did this with mine 2 1/2 years ago intending to get a proper plug at some time. It's 100% reliable so I've never botered to change it.

Thanks for the information.

Just ordered mine off the nice man at Park Lane:thumb2

Looks like a 10min job and i can reach the connector without removing any bodywork.

Has anyone cut the Zumo power lead shorter than in the pics - to take up some slack?

What have people found to be the optimum length (1200 GS)?

Stevo:beerjug:

Really having trouble finding a canbus plug/socket for the power outlet at the headstock. Does anyone have one for sale or know where I can buy one from?

Phone 0131 6542777 ask for Tina she will be able post one to you. Mention Stumpy

Closed on Monday BTW

Stumpy

Thanks for the information.

Just ordered mine off the nice man at Park Lane:thumb2

Looks like a 10min job and i can reach the connector without removing any bodywork.

Has anyone cut the Zumo power lead shorter than in the pics - to take up some slack?

What have people found to be the optimum length (1200 GS)?

Stevo:beerjug:

No problem with cutting the Zumo cable. I tend to leave them a little bit longer incase I change my bike for another model etc. There are plently of places around the headstock to "lose" the slack in a tidy fashion. )* models have the "plug" in a different place BTW

Stumpy

Great article, really useful.

Hope to make one myself but unable to get plug at moment, as local dealer says the part number doesn't show on their system?

But you have started something as the parts dept said they have been asked several times for them.

So, if everyone else hasn't bought them all up. Does anyone know of anywhere they may still be available.

Sorted!

I took a copy of the picture of the lead in the plastic bag into Clarkes in Birmingham and they took a copy of it and were able to order some parts in but it took about 4-5 weeks

Anyway, I picked it up before the weekend and made the lead up today. Works a treat!

Thanks for the post

Great article, really useful.

Hope to make one myself but unable to get plug at moment, as local dealer says the part number doesn't show on their system?

But you have started something as the parts dept said they have been asked several times for them.

So, if everyone else hasn't bought them all up. Does anyone know of anywhere they may still be available.

Get them to look under 'tools' as that is what it is classed as. Mine said it was an 'Oar tool' but I dare not take the GS near deep water. :nenau

Back
Top Bottom