How to make a Canbus GPS cable for a 1200GS

P.S. - Clarkes said they were ordering a few of the parts in so you can phone to see if they have any left in. Just tell the spares dept you want the connector for a Zumo - I phoned often enough with that description.

Hi all,:rob
Took a printout of the part number and description today to BlueBell at Crewe and it came up on their computer as "not for resale", price was £8.30 ish but they'll have to get back to me on monday when they've looked into it.
Think I'll do the soldered end and push it in routine.:beer:

Thanks All, great site. :beerjug:

Cliff

Southport Superbikes, called them, Jim knew exactly what i wanted no need for part number arrived in post next day, recommended *****

I talked to my dealer about getting the CAN-bus plug today, and he has been told he can't order that part at all, not even for workshop use. Does anyone know if the suggestions above are still available? How recently have people got hold of them?

Will some one make one for me???

Assuming i can get hold of the part needed, i dont have any of the other bits needed to do the job, like a soldering iron or heat gun, nor do i really know what the hell to do with them even if i did have them.

early on in this thread there were a few people asking if someone would make up the cable if supplied with the correct GPS cable.

is there anyone willing to help out with DIY phobia???

payment/beers are obviously on offer as well as much appreciation!!!!

i'm based in London (Islington) and am willing to post GPS cable or deliver or what ever suits!!!

many kind thanks and i look forward to your offers rolling in :)

cheers

Graeme

Assuming i can get hold of the part needed, i dont have any of the other bits needed to do the job, like a soldering iron or heat gun, nor do i really know what the hell to do with them even if i did have them.

early on in this thread there were a few people asking if someone would make up the cable if supplied with the correct GPS cable.

i'm based in London (Islington) and am willing to post GPS cable or deliver or what ever suits!!!

cheers

Graeme

Have done this for myself if you have the part we could meet up and you could come with me or we could meet up the following day and I can put it on for you. :thumb2 I live in Beckenham but work in sw1 and am on my bike you have a pm with my number.

Ps I may even have some shrink wrap left

I have just had one put aside for me at stewarts rd Ref. Pmed you, £9.99 if you dont want it let me know asap please. Im at sloane sq and they are just about on my way home.

cheers

Graeme

Graeme,

If you can get the part from BuMW spares at Stewarts Road in Battersea. I will make it for you.

I am not a million miles away from Islington.

Have sent you a PM.

Has anyone got a plug going spare, or know of a source that isn't now fobbing people off please?
I'm having trouble getting hold of one.

Has anyone got a plug going spare, or know of a source that isn't now fobbing people off please?
I'm having trouble getting hold of one.

PM Stumpy of this parish - he might be able to assist.

I think the same part as Nippy Normans sell for easy connection of replacement horns etc. See this item.

PM Stumpy of this parish - he might be able to assist.

I think the same part as Nippy Normans sell for easy connection of replacement horns etc. See this item.
That's not the same item chap. The horn plugs into a 2 pin socket and the GPS is a bigger 3 pin item.
Cheers tho. :)
Stumpy has given me a lead to follow.

There was quite a lengthy discussion re using the BMW sat nav socket which prompted me to do a 'How To' a few weeks back:

GPS Sat Nav Power Connection

......includes wiring diagram extracts, locating the socket and other stuff, in addition to what's here, that may be of use.

Here's the thread I mentioned, some comments/opinions worth noting:
Taking power from the BMW GPS socket

There have been a couple of updates to the article over the last couple of months:
# Re location of the GPS/SatNav power socket on 2008 bikes
# Adding an additional connection in the power lead

GPS SatNav Power Connection Cable

Stumpy's contact Tina (details further up this thread) has come up trumps for me. She has plenty in stock at about £11 each. Ordered 2, one for GPS using front socket and one for autocom using underseat socket on 08 GS.
Thanks for the steer Stumpy, I was having a great deal of trouble getting these.

Mine no worky!!

Got my lead FREE from Bahnstormer BMW at Faringdon. Ordered it two weeks ago, money came out of my account, no sign of it before we left to go to Scotland but put that down to ordering it after the post had gone on the Thursday and being Christmas. Got home today and what's lying on the front door mat?? Junk mail and bills .. no lead, so phoned them up and went to collect it myself, money refunded all good.
So .. I've had the bike stripped down since before we went away, fitting other bits so left it expecting the lead to show up ... And now we get to the point of this ramble (if anyones still reading it!). I Jury rigged the lead up to my Garmin 2610 cable, found and released the plug by the headstock no probs, connected everything up and hey presto .... nothing .. no sign of life from the Garmin .. worked ok direct wired to the battery .. does the plug wire differently to the Zumo in the thread or have I got a duff cable??

Back
Top Bottom