Hi from a Ducati owner..

johnnystorm

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I managed to coincide my Ducati breaking down with watching "long way round" (god so predictable on both counts) so I fancy a GS. I popped down to Cannons at the weekend who gleefully handed me the keys to a 1200GS which I greatly enjoyed! Seriously considering one now, just not sure whether it's worth paying a premium for low miles/Adventure/lots of kit or saving a couple of grand and then potentially being miserable I haven't got a 30 litre tank and ammo box panniers! :D

Ducati to GS

Hi Jonny,

I did what you are talking about four years ago. I swapped my 748, which I had from new for 8 years for a 1150 GS. I have just traded the 1150 in for a 1200 ADV.

I really liked my 748 and ideally I would have kept it, but now I don't think that I would actually ride it that much as I can't think of many times when I would prefer to ride it over the GS.

If you are looking at the 1200 I'd advise you have a go on both, the ADV is not that much more expensive, about £ 800 at list price, and comes with a number of items that would be extra on the standard 1200 such as wire wheels engine bars, big screen etc, never mind the large tank.

Good luck

come on, if the guy owns a Ducati then he doesnt need any advice about throwing money a bikes :)

Welcome to the site Johnystorm. What type of Ducati have you got? I just spent the weekend with a Hypermotard, I am just begining to regain my hearing this afternoon....

fair point :eek:

You've hit the nail on the head really. I'd rather spend £100 a month on depreciation/finance/main dealer service on a new bike than the £100 a month I'm spending on unscheduled reapirs where essential parts have dropped off unexpectedly! The other side is that I've realised I don't need 150mph capability as much as 200 miles range and the ability to walk when I get where I'm going!

I'm ideally looking at a used 1150GSADV (if my terminology is right!) and just rode a 1200GS as it was ready for a test ride. I have to say for a big bike it handles bloody well! :)

Hi johnnystorm, ex-Ducati rider myself so I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say that I didnt have that much that dropped off, but the vibration through the throttle was killing my wrist especially on long journey's.

Buy the GS, you wont regret it :thumb2

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

Hi johnnystorm, ex-Ducati rider myself so I know where you're coming from. I can honestly say that I didnt have that much that dropped off, but the vibration through the throttle was killing my wrist especially on long journey's.

Buy the GS, you wont regret it :thumb2

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

To be honest I'm kinda over exagerating the problems. I had a 600 Monster (sold last week) that apart from a dead battery was faultless. Poor parts supply led to it being laid up so long however. My ST2 does the wrist ache thing as well on a long journey but it's the nature of it's break downs that have riled me. I bought it especially to go to the Duc factory on and it died a week before hand. Turned out to be a perished hose in the fuel tank that was a cheap part ONCE it had been diagnosed and the bike virtually dismantled (huge labour costs). Once that was fixed I managed a few more rides before the reg/rec failed and then proved near impossible again to get another. the official part has been weeks now. :(

Hi there Johnnystorm, I'm riding an S2R 800 Monster myself, and i'm also thinking of switching to a 1200GS, took one for a test spin a few weeks back and must admit, i was blown away. Best of luck with whatever you choose.

I'm still waiting for the bloody reg/rec to arrive. Not sure if it's the dealer, ducati spares warehouse or the striking post office I should be blaming. :( Lovely day for a ride today. Also my insurance expires soon so I wanna get it traded soon... :(

Welcome.

If it helps any - the longest I've had to wait for spares is a couple of days. And they come in a bloody big white van with BMW on the side, not the red PO one, if it's not on strike!!!!!

Get yerself a GS mate. Even tho' it is a 1200 :augie:augie
It'll be cheaper to insure too.

I was all set to get a Street triple but put off by no chance of discount and very long delivery time. Decided to have a look at what was available used for similar money also without a large plastic wrapper. I was initially interested in an 1150 but the dealer demo 1200 was ready to go. Haven't properly decided what I want yet, will need to test an 1150 as well I think.

Ok bullet has been bitten, pick up my Melloyello 1200GS tomorrow! :)

Anyone wanna buy an ST2?

Congratulations on the new bike .... now get yourself a subscribed member and you can sell the ST2 in the our fabulous 'For Sale & Wanted' section further down the forum.

What can I say, £12 for a year and free adverts to boot ... oh and PM's (private message service) :thumb2

Here's the link should you wish to take advantage of us

http://www.ukgser.com/subscriptions.htm

Have fun riding the beast home tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom