Ontario

Scott

Reaction score
Any members form Ontario?

The day has finally come and I'm relocating from Blighty to the Great White North for work.....the movers are in packing as I type. I will be in the Waterloo area and would be interested in hearing of any ~local bike related activities or things to watch out for.

I had to sell my 1200GS as Euro spec bikes can't be imported into Canada...I could have registered it in the US, but that would have been more trouble than it's worth I think. Anyway, I will be in the market for another 1200 or 1150 ... so any leads would be interesting.

cheers

Enjoy your move.

I lived in Ontario 27 years ago. Once you get out side the built up areas, there are endless roads to ride a GS on.

Northern Ontario is huge, it's a great place for a GS.

I am sure that there will be local Bikes clubs that you can get information from.

Rick

If its any consolation Scott you did the right thing in selling your bike. We moved to vermont a couple of years ago and whilst it is technically possible to import a 'foreign' vehicle it is frought with all sorts of trouble. We were strongly advices against it by every agent we spoke to.

I now have an 07 GSA and if I do go back to Europ I understand that it should be a straightforward job to import it.

In the meantime it looks like we are joining you in Canada - although further East - we are looking at Nova Scotia.

In the meantime good luck with the move.

I have a lot of family in Ontario, around Toronto and Ripley nr lake Huron.

They love the life they have will never come back:thumb2

Nice one Scott. :beerjug:

Live the dream, man!

You're doing what a lot of us would love to do. (me included!) :thumb2

Did you have any trouble selling the GS? (I'm hoping I'll be in the same position soon :thumb)

Si

Hi Scott, I am a long time lurker. There is a terrific dealer, "open road B8w" in Newmarket. An hour east of your location. Agreat group of guys. I'm sure they will be able to help you with equipment or club advice, regards Stan

Nice one Scott. :beerjug:

Live the dream, man!

You're doing what a lot of us would love to do. (me included!) :thumb2

Did you have any trouble selling the GS? (I'm hoping I'll be in the same position soon :thumb)

Si
Funny everyone here is envious, that I lived in England :)

It's been pretty good so far.....I live near Chicago a few years back and it's VERY similar.

GS was easy to sell, but I had to sell it fast, so didn't get nearly what it was "worth".....price of moving.

Hi Scott, I am a long time lurker. There is a terrific dealer, "open road B8w" in Newmarket. An hour east of your location. Agreat group of guys. I'm sure they will be able to help you with equipment or club advice, regards Stan

Thanks man that's about 100 miles away...by English standards a world away :D ..... I'll make sure to check it out.

Any members form Ontario?

The day has finally come and I'm relocating from Blighty to the Great White North for work.....the movers are in packing as I type. I will be in the Waterloo area and would be interested in hearing of any ~local bike related activities or things to watch out for.

I had to sell my 1200GS as Euro spec bikes can't be imported into Canada...I could have registered it in the US, but that would have been more trouble than it's worth I think. Anyway, I will be in the market for another 1200 or 1150 ... so any leads would be interesting.

cheers

Hey Scott

Fin here. Get to www.advrider.com, look in regional forums/ great white north/ ontario riders and you'll hook up with a large group of idiots like myself. We'd be glad to have another gser in the mix. Waterloo is only about 80K from me here in Toronto so Let me know when you arrive and we'll get together for a pint. Hurry though cause I might be relocating myself... in the UAE. :D Anyone point me in the right direction for riding info there? Yikes?

Cheers

Fin

Good luck Scott, I used to live in Windsor years ago, Ontario is great.
We used to pop over to the USA all the time to do a bit of shopping or to go for a drink.
The winters are something else. Nothing like a real winter, digging your car out of the snow in the morning.

Fin,

Thanks for the advice. I've registered at Advrider site and poked around a bit. I saw the HUGE Ontario thread in the GWN section, but haven't combed through it yet. They've got me set up in Kitchener for a few months while I look for a house. I occasionally make it into Toronto, taking in the Maple Leafs this Saturday in fact. It would be great to get together for pint sometime.... maybe after the new year. I'll start putting out the feelers for a new GS after I move to my own own house....late winter / early spring I suppose.

patzx12,

Tell me about it!!!! I lived most of life in Florida and Texas so the real winters will be a new experience for me...seems like its starting early this year too. I just try and remind myself that Southern Ontario is the most tropical part of Canada:D

Absolutly, You can use the winter to your advantage, lots of winter activity and you can go snowmobiling which is as good as biking.

Hey Scott,
I'm in Toronto Ontario. Recently traded in my 1150R for an 07 GS.
There are loads of roads in Ontario. The best ones are a few hours away from Toronto (or Waterloo), but the surrounding 100 kms offer lots of fun, on road and off.

Looks like you found ADVrider. Good source. The best thing I found is to hook up with a few other riders and they'll be more than happy to show off their favorite routes (myself included).

Cheers and welcome to our part of the globe.

Hi folks, does anyone know if you have to re-sit your driving test for a canadian lisence or can you drive a bike or car on your current uk lisence. My mate tells me you can transfer the uk lisence over to canadian, does anyone know?:thumb2 . Planning on moving to canada in three years and cant wait

Jims A,

No such thing as a Canadian License. As in the USA, it is a provincial/state affair.

You are in luck though if you are coming to Ontario as they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK that allows exchange.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeOutProv.aspx

...If you are going to another province, I'm sure they have similar websites.....and most likely similar exchange programs.

Good luck, 'eh?

I think you have to take a test - we did when we moved to the States.......though it was an absolute piece of pee............had to make four right turns and answer 15 out of 20 multiple choice questions, the car and the bike cost less than $30 (amazing that they don't all crash into each other - the driving standards including bikes is a joke - and get this there are no restrictions, ride a bike around some cones and you can ride off on anything, the kids here drive to school in BIG V8 pickups).

We are moving to Canada later this year bit think that they will accept the US licensce. There issue with yourself is because you drive on the left.

ah Canada, not normally associated with humour so enjoy these before you go:aidan

A French guest who was staying in a hotel in Edmonton phoned room service for some pepper. "Black pepper, or white pepper?" asked the concierge.
"Toilette pepper!":D:D

A Canadian bloke is walking down the street with a case of beer under his arm.

His friend Randy:ymca stops him and asks, "Hey Dave! Whatcha got that case of beer for?"

"Well, I got it for my wife, you see?" answers Dave.

"Wow," exclaims Randy, "Great trade.":thumb

An American, a Scot and a Canuk were out riding and had a terrible bike accident.:eek:
They were all brought to the same emergency room, but all three of them died before they arrived.:( Just as they were about to put the toe tag on the American, he stirred and opened his eyes. Astonished, the doctors and nurses present asked him what happened.

"Well," said the American, "I remember the crash, and then there was a beautiful light, and then the Canadian and the Scot and I were standing at the gates of heaven. St. Peter approached us and said that we were all too young to die, and that for a donation of $100, we could return to the earth."

He continued, " So of course, I pulled out my wallet and gave him the $100, and the next thing I knew I was back here."

"That's amazing!" said one of the doctors, "But what happened to the other two?"

"Last I saw them," replied the American, "the Scot:eek:onyack was haggling over the price and the Canadian was waiting for the government to pay for his.":p

What do urine samples and Canadian beer have in common?
The taste.:beer:

Enjoy Canada:clap

Jims A,

No such thing as a Canadian License. As in the USA, it is a provincial/state affair.

You are in luck though if you are coming to Ontario as they have a reciprocal agreement with the UK that allows exchange.

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeOutProv.aspx

...If you are going to another province, I'm sure they have similar websites.....and most likely similar exchange programs.

Good luck, 'eh?

Thanks scott, just had my sister phone them up from the Toronto side and its a basic affair:D, just need to find out about insurance now as i think i will be classed as a new driver

ah Canada, not normally associated with humour so enjoy these before you go:aidan

A French guest who was staying in a hotel in Edmonton phoned room service for some pepper. "Black pepper, or white pepper?" asked the concierge.
"Toilette pepper!":D:D

A Canadian bloke is walking down the street with a case of beer under his arm.

His friend Randy:ymca stops him and asks, "Hey Dave! Whatcha got that case of beer for?"

"Well, I got it for my wife, you see?" answers Dave.

"Wow," exclaims Randy, "Great trade.":thumb

An American, a Scot and a Canuk were out riding and had a terrible bike accident.:eek:
They were all brought to the same emergency room, but all three of them died before they arrived.:( Just as they were about to put the toe tag on the American, he stirred and opened his eyes. Astonished, the doctors and nurses present asked him what happened.

"Well," said the American, "I remember the crash, and then there was a beautiful light, and then the Canadian and the Scot and I were standing at the gates of heaven. St. Peter approached us and said that we were all too young to die, and that for a donation of $100, we could return to the earth."

He continued, " So of course, I pulled out my wallet and gave him the $100, and the next thing I knew I was back here."

"That's amazing!" said one of the doctors, "But what happened to the other two?"

"Last I saw them," replied the American, "the Scot:eek:onyack was haggling over the price and the Canadian was waiting for the government to pay for his.":p

What do urine samples and Canadian beer have in common?
The taste.:beer:

Enjoy Canada:clap

Class:clap:clap:clap:clap

Back
Top Bottom