Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

Great eatery on along the west bank of Loch Lomond, A82 between Tarbet and Ardlui. Unfortunately, to my shame, I can't remember the name of it, but I'm sure some better informed tosser from Scotland can help out :eek:

Great battered fish and fabulous apple pie :thumb2

Might be the Bonnie Brae (woz it white wi a green and white sign?)

We had some cracking munchies in The Alford Bistro, funnily enough, in Alford.

Superb home bake trolley.:D

The Croft Inn just about a mile from Glenlivet on the B9008 Dufftown road. Cracking wee place and really good food. Best pub grub I've tasted in a long time. Over 60 different malts and a few cask ales.

Langholm on the A7

Hello everyone,
Whitshiels Cafe and Caravan Park, Langholm, Dumfriesshire (on the A7)
Small cafe run by Mr and Mrs Vickers. This is an excellent little cafe, it's spotlessly clean and the food is just excellent, really is a smashing little place. Plenty of parking, caravan site is small but room for a few tents too.
Regards, Richard.

1 . Townhead cafe at the top of Biggar high street , braw fish supper !!!!!

2. The Drovers Inn on Loch Lomond , braw Highland Burger !!!!!!

:D:D

The cafe on South High Street in Portsoy (I cant remember what it is called)

Its just down from the chemist toward the harbour (just off the main road through)

Less that a fiver for a toastie and a pot of tea - good value these days.

Kincardine O'neil

Post office in Kincardine O'Neil does stunning bacon butties.
made on the premisies, while you wait.

(will also do black pudding n egg rolls)

Good excuse to slow down going through Kincardine O'Neil as it's known for being a place used to tax skiers in the winter (the boys in blue have been known to nail anyone doing 33+ through town in the winter, just as the skiers are on a mission to get to the slopes at the crack of noon)

Post office in Kincardine O'Neil does stunning bacon butties.
made on the premisies, while you wait.

(will also do black pudding n egg rolls)

Good excuse to slow down going through Kincardine O'Neil as it's known for being a place used to tax skiers in the winter (the boys in blue have been known to nail anyone doing 33+ through town in the winter, just as the skiers are on a mission to get to the slopes at the crack of noon)

Bacon rolls made on the premises while you wait? How are bacon rolls usually put together? :confused:

We'll need to send AndyT to recce this place for a taste test. A good bacon roll is a Tosser prerequisite on a morning run.

BTW Welcome to the SS :beerjug:

Did someone mention bacon rolls?:drool

If you are ever flying into Wick International Airport, the caff there does cracking bacon butties too and a good mug o' coffee...none of ye 'Starbucks' and McBurgers crap.

Welcome to the Jungle..:thumb2

Bacon rolls made on the premises while you wait? How are bacon rolls usually put together? :confused:

We'll need to send AndyT to recce this place for a taste test. A good bacon roll is a Tosser prerequisite on a morning run.

BTW Welcome to the SS :beerjug:

They are usually made with bacon taken from a place where it's been kept warm since being fried some indeterminate time earlier, levels the workload on the staff.
However, now that I'm back in the sandpit (close to knoteatingham) I could murder for a decent bacon buttie . . . . . . .

cheers for the welcome to the SS, looks like a fun (if slightly dangerous) place . .

The only place in Scotland to make better tasting Bacon Butties is the wee cafe behind the MRI rescue building in Stonehaven (out on the harbour)
They use "smoked bacon" hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
(gash buns though) more than made up for with the triple hot chocolate . . .

Excellent pub grub at the recently re-opened The Bruce (a cosy wee hotel) in Falkand, Fife.

Their Penne Carbonara is the best I've ever tasted by some distance and I'm a bit o' a conisseur when it comes tae pasta dishes.

Friendly staff as well which is always nice :beerjug:

A new cafe just opened in the Fettercairn called 'The Arch' Nice place, great home made soup and the cakes are ace. Has a farm shop there too if you are after a neep on the way home!! Good place to stop and fuel up when having a run over the Cairn 'O' Mount.

It's just beside the famous arch (funny that!!)

Cedar cafe

The South East, especially the A1 are much ignored - I know the West side of the country offers all the views and twisty roads, BUT you don't have the Cedar cafe.
About 20 miles North of the border on the A1 in a great big lay-bye at Grantshouse.
Biggest freshly cooked fry up you've ever seen along with clean tables, clean bogs and licked clean plates.
Plenty of parking, outside tables and Yorkie eaters.

Hopeman Chippy in Moray and theirs a great Layby Fast Food bar situated in an old single deck Bus on A96 between Huntley and Inverurie. Full Breakfast is amazing.

theirs a great Layby Fast Food bar situated in an old single deck Bus on A96 between Huntly and Inverurie. Full Breakfast is amazing.

The Pit Stop is pretty good. I have carried out some 'research' there on a couple of occasions....although as I live but 5mins away, I dont visit very often which is good for my waistline.

(oh and there is nae 'e' in Huntly)

Recycled Little Chef in Tyndrum: http://www.therealfoodcafe.com/

There's no way I'd have guessed this was a recycled junk food place. An excellent establishment: freshly-cooked, real food, and a convenient stopping point, too, being half-way to most places...

Oh, but on other roads, I've always had good nosh from the van at Carter Bar, and further east, the Queen's Head in Berwick-upon-Tweed (NOT the Queen's Head in Tweedmouth!!) has excellent food - between pub-grub and restaurant style - not too formal, but VERY tasty. Used to be a handy place to go while Andy sorted the bike for me, but since the fire he's in Duns, where the local garden centre - although convenient etc etc - isn't quite the same as the QH with its fresh-landed fish...

artisancoffee.co.uk

anyone tried artisancoffee? they are in broughton street in edinburgh and gibson street in glasgow, very good coffee :flag

There's a wee cafe (Biker's Cove) operating at South Queensferry. It's a bit basic but you get a half decent coffee for a quid (discount for bikers so I was told). You also get to gaze across the Forth from almost beneath the rail bridge. :thumb2

Pillars of Hercules

www.pillars.co.uk , great place , near Falkland, awesome coffee and food, can sit out under the trees in the strawberry field or on the wooden verandah, some fantastic roads to explore in and around fife (yahoorsir):flag

Back
Top Bottom