Cafes, coffee stops and favourite greasy spoons in Scotland

comes from not reading the title properly

sorry thought we were just recommending places!!!!!!

Cafe

Try the rock pool cafe in Cullen, excellent latte, sandwiches . The red red squirrel in Crieff is another good stop.

If you're heading past Perth but don't want to get into the Centre or pay inflated prices at Broxden Services for crap, Bridge of Earn off the M90 has a CoOp for cash or usual sarnies, toilets at the village hall and the Tower Bakery does the usual pies, sausage rolls, rolls n' sausage (not the same!) but you can feast on mince n' tatties, beef stew, chicken curry, macaroni cheese and stovies. Portion control is good!
2e2enehy.jpg

Entertainment whilst dining opposite on a bench may be tennis, bools or watching the traffic.
Touristy types may want to visit nearby Elcho Castle.

While on a trip with Dalkeith Motorrad up to Plockton weekend just past, we stopped at Strontian (left off the Corran ferry) at the Arundle Centre, a great cafe - lots of home made stuff and nice comfy surroundings.
Also on the way back, down the A82 just down from Laggan Lochs, the Eagle Inn, a Dutch barge on the canal , again good food etc, and an interesting venue.

Big thumbs up here as well for Applecross Inn, the cafe at Lochcarron is a good un as well, the 'never trust a skinny chef' sign always gives me a smile.

rumbling tum moffat high street cracking breakfast big cumfy seats biker friendly cracking apple pie as well

aberfeldy

stopped at the habitat café in the centre of aberfeldy yesterday. good food, excellent choice of exotic coffees, reasonable price and good service. brother and I were there at midday, there was even a bloke playing the guitar( quite good he was ).

The Old Post Office Tea Room in Chapel of Garioch, just below Bennachie does a great coffee, and some fantastic pastries. The bakewells in particular are epic. Closed Mondays and Tuesdays.
They are on facetube.

Another for good food and view is the Glen Lyon Post Office at Bridge of Balgie at the side of the river Lyon up above Loch Tay..........:thumb2 :thumb2

A new Snack van has opened about 2 1/2 miles east of Crianlarich in a large layby next to Loch Lubhair. Good prices and good food.

dufftown

the coffee pot in dufftown serves a good all day breakfast. 2 of us got 2 rashers, 2 sausages 1 egg and 2 slices of toast each with coffee/tea for £10.50 in total. worth a call.

cafe biba in pitlochry opposite the war memorial. good toasties and coffee. other folks food looked good on the plate. maybe just on the dearer end of the scale but i'm a tight git.

The Old School community hub and cafe, Eskdalemuir.

Popped in yesterday on a birl around the Borders. The local folk have got a lottery grant and turned the old school into a meeting place and cafe. Everything is brand new, with comfy armchairs to relax in if you don't want to sit at table. All the grub is prepared on the spot with the usual fry up fare if you want it plus healthier options and home baking. Filter coffee plus free refills or lattes, cappuccinos etc.

Usually go to Pelosi's in Langholm but this is a good alternative.

Bike-friendly cafe's

Try the Melt Gallery in Pitlochry.....even if they are closed, if they are there - bikes can stop for coffee. Easy food, comfortable and strong coffee!
Owner used to have the Stenhouse Gallery in Crieff.

The Old School community hub and cafe, Eskdalemuir.

Popped in yesterday on a birl around the Borders. The local folk have got a lottery grant and turned the old school into a meeting place and cafe. Everything is brand new, with comfy armchairs to relax in if you don't want to sit at table. All the grub is prepared on the spot with the usual fry up fare if you want it plus healthier options and home baking. Filter coffee plus free refills or lattes, cappuccinos etc.

Usually go to Pelosi's in Langholm but this is a good alternative.

Just up the road is the Tibetan Tea Rooms at Samye Ling. I usually stop there for a cup of chai and a riccota pastry on my way to Langholm. In fact, it was there that I met Micky and Gracie for the first time, quite by chance. Pelosis Café - I haven't been in there for years, although having grown up in the Muckle Toon, I always liked their ice cream.

Spean Bridge

I seem to remember some-one mentioned the Bridge Cafe in Spean Bridge but I cant find it....

Used to be Little Chef, but now under new management and well worth a stop if you're passing. Not much good for breasts and thighs, but grubs OK. Well actually plenty of thigh....must be all that shinty....

Back
Top Bottom