Timolgra's Fault: Trail ride weekend in North Wales, December 29/30th 2007.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having been stuck on the side of a mountain last weekend with several friends, I asked myself, who was to blame, who decided this route, who getting the bo!!ocking when we eventually get out of the quagmire?
Anyway, to prevent me having to go through this thought process again, Timolgra is getting the blame for any routes of extreme difficulty that he bullies us into riding on the weekend of Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th of December, 2007.
Mileage cannot be estimated, neither can finish times!
Start times will be 0900hrs.
Both days will be on mud, stone and gravel trails of medium to extreme difficulties. Aggressive knobbly tyres of AC10 or similar will be required.
Start points will be decided closer to the dates.
Possible start points will be:-
Dolgellau, to ride The Motorway.
Pentrefoelas, to ride Nebo and Bwlch-Y-Groes.

If you are interested in attending probably the hardest two days riding that Wales can offer, please post your interest here and list the machine and experience level also. It helps with the planning.:augie
I believe Forry is already chomping on the bit.......... Silly boy!:blast

Thanks.
Timpo.

I'm interested, although whether I have the skills or experience required is entirely another matter.

Also need to sort out somewhere to stay and my general NewYear plans as well before giving a definate yes.

I'll be on a DRZ.

Experience is minimal.

I'm very tempted to bung my DR (350) in a van and have a go at this. Can I be put down as a maybe till I know what I'm doing?

DR is currently wearing MT21's, OK or not hardcore enough?

Skillwise, I'm not an complete newbie, but I'm not Simon Pavey either! I'm up for the challenge though. :thumb

Pluck

I will still be in Germany that weekend (phew...) but Possu might be interested - he's all alone on his own until the new year and might need looking after... :D :green gri :augie

Me please,:blast
Either a CRM, if I think it is reliable enough. It will be well tested by then.
Or the trusty KLX. Whichever one will be wearing the knobbliest of tyres I can get.:augie

Feck it, cant wait any longer, I'm up for this one fellas.

I'll be on a pair of Days Healthcare121T Aluminium Crutches with rubber feet.

4 weeks experience, getting quicker and more nimble by the day.

Do I qualify? :thumb2

DR is currently wearing MT21's, OK or not hardcore enough?

NO!
...like Timpo says AC10 or similar ie. aggressive, MT21 is a summer only tyre for these rides and even then there's times you'd struggle......more to the point the rest of us would struggle in getting your bike out:mad:

Parts of these routes require a team effort to get everyone through:green gri

But it would be great to have you along and Foolonastrom, if your experience is minimal well, that'll soon change:thumb

I'll be down on the DR350 might treat it to a new/second hand front tyre :thumb2

OK, it's looking good........:blast
As Tim has said earlier, MT21 are out. Check out the photos from the last ride and you see that the going is very boggy, so moto-x tyres are a must. AC10 are road legal and fairly cheap, as are BF Goodrich Crossengo, etc.
I suggest that we improve the rear lifting points on our bikes, why? well, looking back at the last ride-out over boggy trails, my gloves were soaked after lifting bogged down bikes. I reckon a webbing loop should do it. Either weave it through the seat fixing or under the rear subframe, if you have one.
If you have a trail version of the DRZ, please check your final drive ratio. If standard trail gearing, this will need changing to enduro gearing or you will burn your clutch out.
If you fancy a crack at these lanes, then do it. Remember that nobody gets left behind, but make sure the odds of you getting stuck are reduced as much as possible. And, also make the recovery of your bike easier. It will save us loads of energy.......:thumb2
If you need anymore information, please do not hesitate to contact either Timolgra or myself.

Timpo.

I was thinking exactly the same thing about lifting points on the bikes, I hadn't bothered on the Husaberg but will fit one over the back of the seat and around the forks in future.

I will fit one over the back of the seat and around the forks in future.

That's all it needs mate.
Did I read that Hew is bringing the CRM? I've got to remember to pack some teabags and sugar........:augie
Not sure if my back will take having to lift Forry's DR up them rock steps......:p
I'm getting excited already....in a sick sort of way.:green gri

T.

:nono
No you do not.........
There would be photos taken of me pulling on your bog sodden crutch!:crossbone
I'd never live it down............

T.

I think you mentioned a helicopter ride the last time we were at themotorway. Have you keep their number handy.:thumb

So I've got a month to lose some weight and gain loads of energy:bounce1
I'm not going to tempt fate with saying anything about the bike.

I'm interested in Sunday's ride, can't make Saturday due to work. Would appreciate knowing the start point as I may book a B&B & head up Saturday night.

400EXC
Michelin Comp 3 / 4 with Mousses
Mediocre rider @ the bars

Tim, what combination of rides/days shall we do?
Saturday - Dolgellau
Sunday - Pentrefoelas
:nenau

If that sounds ok, I can post start point RVs.:thumb2

T.

OK, it's looking good........:blast
As Tim has said earlier, MT21 are out. Check out the photos from the last ride and you see that the going is very boggy, so moto-x tyres are a must. AC10 are road legal and fairly cheap, as are BF Goodrich Crossengo, etc.
I suggest that we improve the rear lifting points on our bikes, why? well, looking back at the last ride-out over boggy trails, my gloves were soaked after lifting bogged down bikes. I reckon a webbing loop should do it. Either weave it through the seat fixing or under the rear subframe, if you have one.
If you have a trail version of the DRZ, please check your final drive ratio. If standard trail gearing, this will need changing to enduro gearing or you will burn your clutch out.
If you fancy a crack at these lanes, then do it. Remember that nobody gets left behind, but make sure the odds of you getting stuck are reduced as much as possible. And, also make the recovery of your bike easier. It will save us loads of energy.......:thumb2
If you need anymore information, please do not hesitate to contact either Timolgra or myself.

Timpo.

OK. If can make it at all I'll get full-on tyres. Was going to change the gearing right down anyway, and by that time I'll have fitted a little rear rack that has grab-handles on it. Sorted :thumb2

Tim, what combination of rides/days shall we do?
Saturday - Dolgellau
Sunday - Pentrefoelas
:nenau

If that sounds ok, I can post start point RVs.:thumb2

T.

I don't know what you think but I would say Pentrefoelas could be the toughest route when including ByG and poss going up from ugly cottage so suggest doing that first then having a bimble acrosss the motorway the next day:eek:

Have think what you'd say is the hardest day and do that first.

I'm knackered just thinking of it:eek:

I would say Pentrefoelas could be the toughest route when including ByG and possibly going up from Ugly Cottage

Without doubt!
I want to do Nebo Gully also!
I reckon if we press-on over ByG without the time consuming smoke breaks and carry a packet lunch, that will put time on our side.
A quick fuel stop at Betws and we should manage to get the whole ride in, just like the good old days.........:augie
And Sunday at Dolgellau will be a piece of cake once we've limbered up on ByG. The Motorway will be as good as tarmaced!:eek:
Wonder if I could carry my chainsaw on the bike, and cut our way through the forest sections. We will have a Forrester with us after all!
Might try a new folding saw from B&Q. It would be great to do the whole trail.

Does that sound like the plan then?

I'm away now for a few days, helping a Finnish mate of mine do the Rally GB in Mitsubishi EVO IX. Ahh them were the days.........:rob

Timpo.

:nono
No you do not.........
There would be photos taken of me pulling on your bog sodden crutch!:crossbone
I'd never live it down............

T.

Ah bollocks.

Thats disabledist that is. :spitfire

Without doubt!
I want to do Nebo Gully also!
I reckon if we press-on over ByG without the time consuming smoke breaks and carry a packet lunch, that will put time on our side.
A quick fuel stop at Betws and we should manage to get the whole ride in, just like the good old days.........:augie
And Sunday at Dolgellau will be a piece of cake once we've limbered up on ByG. The Motorway will be as good as tarmaced!:eek:
Wonder if I could carry my chainsaw on the bike, and cut our way through the forest sections. We will have a Forrester with us after all!
Might try a new folding saw from B&Q. It would be great to do the whole trail.

Does that sound like the plan then?

I'm away now for a few days, helping a Finnish mate of mine do the Rally GB in Mitsubishi EVO IX. Ahh them were the days.........:rob

Timpo.

Yes that sounds like a plan to me:thumb2
If we find on day two the motorway would be too much after the previous day we can always miss it out:ymca and still have a full on day from Dolgellau..............please god:bow

But I agree it would be great to do it all in two days...just depends if the likes of Forry are up to it:augie

Back
Top Bottom