640 adventure

last time I was in Morocco with your old 650 rally bike I broke the sub frame:blast

that's way I now have one of these ;)

last time I was in Morocco with your old 650 rally bike I broke the sub frame:blast

that's way I now have one of these ;)

Yep :thumb

Hope you've changed the rear tank fixings.:eek

A pair of Chris Barnes excellent carbon fibre tank protectors turned up today.

P1000761-X2.jpg

Could do with some of them on the xchallenge, amount of times I fell off:D

Will you leave the crash bars off now, much lighter, and look good:thumb

Ha, it wasn't 'that many' times:beerjug:

Yes, I'll leave them off, just getting it ready for the Taffy Dakar next weekend:bounce1

Out today after a few alterations to 'the bike' :beerjug:

P1000795-XL.jpg

P1000791-XL.jpg

Love the fairing on this one so may have to experiment with a spare front end lurking in the shed :drool

858_orig.jpg

A few more modifications.

The HID lights are now wired through relays so dip stays on with main beams, all ancillaries now run through a separate fuse panel.

Using a Seat Concepts seat which seems to be doing the job and is a tad lower than the Renazco I'd been using for trips.

Subframe's substantially reinforced which means I don't rely on the pannier frames for support when carrying luggage, also the lh pannier frame has been altered to sit much tighter to the exhaust when using my Wolfman panniers.
Now much narrower and I'm not concerned about the heat as the Akra doesn't get anywhere near as hot as the standard can.

Found a 2nd hand bash plate to carry any of the heavier parts etc in, I'm just a bit concerned it may catch rocks in tight situations though.

One issue I've always had with this bike is the rear brake's a bit grabby and easily locks so apart from adjusting the pedal down I'm going to try the EBC TT carbon pads which should help.

I've recently upped the front sprocket 1 tooth (back to standard gearing) which makes it a joy on the road but slightly too much 'go' in very slippy conditions so will drop back down a tooth

It keeps evolving :beerjug:

P1020050-X2.jpg

I do like this bike, All ready to go now then?

Just tyres, oil, filters, brake pads and rear wheel bearings (I always change f+r before trips) can't decide whether a new chain, I was just going to go with just new sprockets as the chain's still good even after the TAT and more .... but maybe hmmmmm.

I've had the swing arm out and linkage apart for cleaning and greasing, cleaned the forks out etc etc.

I know you're just as fussy in getting your bikes 'just right' so guess the XC's almost there too?:D

Jeez, 6 months later the prep and modifications start all over again:rolleyes:

This time trying a single front disc set up, so far it's ok although much less powerful as I'm experimenting with suitable master cylinders down from 13mm to 11mm although feel 12mm may be spot on but can't find one in the garage:blast

Full service time.

DSCF0692-X2.jpg

Jeez, 6 months later the prep and modifications start all over again:rolleyes:

This time trying a single front disc set up, so far it's ok although much less powerful as I'm experimenting with suitable master cylinders down from 13mm to 11mm although feel 12mm may be spot on but can't find one in the garage:blast

Full service time.

DSCF0692-X2.jpg

How do you find those studded pegs?

Boom-tish

I have some,but can't seem to get on with them

I will try harder

I would say if you have to try to get on with something then it ain't right for you ...... bit like women and slippers :D

Where did you get the studded pegs from Tim? I was thinking about adding some CJ Designs peg extensions to mine but they don't fit 2004 and earlier 640s!

Where did you get the studded pegs from Tim? I was thinking about adding some CJ Designs peg extensions to mine but they don't fit 2004 and earlier 640s!

They're extensions fitted to a pair of Pivot Pegs Lee, raided from my 690.

P1010895-X2.jpg

Ah, that makes sense! Do you still have the pegs off your 640 or are they now on the 690? Your bike's an 05 or 06 right, so the CJ Designs extensions should fit. Fancy selling em if you still have em?

Back
Top Bottom