Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Africa...Ever been there?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Lightbulb More info

Right Dave,

Was forwarded this two websites last night and tel number if you want to get an idea of prices and these folks also do guided group tours in which you will be perfectly safe.

Adventure Riders

Moto Berlin

And BMW HQ's telephone in Johannesburg is +27116902600 who I am sure will give you details about dealers etc who hire motorcycles.

Enjoy!
    Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas. Unless the word bsquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this thread, however, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you have read this thread in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites and place it in a warm oven for 40 minutes. Whisk briefly and let it stand for 2 hours before icing.

Cheers Maverick

This`ll give me something to do over the crap weather period

william

cheap alternative to hiring bike

have a look at bikeshareworld.com
    It may not be everybody's cup of tea but I've no complaints so far. I lent my GS to a guy from SA in june this year and made a great friend. Some say they wouldn't lend their bike to a stranger but sure life's too short. There's people living and dying on the pavement and it's only a machine, albeit one that we become quite attached to. Only a thought but have a look anyway.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Talking Pictures of Die Hel / Gamkaskloof

Thought I'd add a few pics of a recent trip to Die Hel /Gamkaskloof being talked about above:

More here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6761368&type=3

Hi Dave,

My name's Alex, I'm British and have been living here for the last three years. I work for a BMW Motorrad dealership in Johannesburg (Auto Alpina) and have ridden around almost every single place in the country on more than a few occasions

If you need any help at all in any way with regards to bikes or anything else for that matter, please give me a shout. alex.reid@bmwdealer.co.za

Ciao for now,

Alex

Hi Dave,
    My name's Peter, I'm a Saffer recently returned to SA from the UK, and I met the mad bugger - Alex - above in the previous post....
    ........... he's a bloody top notch chap who managed to sell me my GSA while still in the UK.....

I flew from Cape Town to Johannesburg to collect the bike from Alex and then took a few weeks to ride back down to Cape Town ........ and what a fantastic ride it was.

Depending on where you fly into SA............ in other words - if in JHB - give Alex a call............ if Cape Town - then a good mate of mine, Joerg Vogel, owns CAPE BIKE TRAVEL, rentals and he's your man (he was selected by Charley Boorman for supplying the bikes for his SA tours)

No matter where or when you come ride......... make the effort to join up with the South African's favourite two Adventure Riders websites/forums. A heap of info and help will be available and a lot of Ex-pats on the forum that would bend over backwards to help....... everything from accomodation to routes to travel......

(Both forums are 100% free to join!)

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php

&

http://www.roamafrica.co.za/forum/index.php

looking forward to welcoming you to SA

Depending on where you are staying, day trips – rides to a lunch spot might be good.
    So here is a list:
    1. Pubs – foresters arms in Newlands especially on a rugby day. Close to the stadium. This could be linked to a visit to kirstenbosch botanical gardens and then up to the top of Constantia nek and back through the waterfront area to wherever you are staying.
    2. Pubs – La med between Clifton Beach and Camps bay (again both worth seeing and then drive along the coast towards Cape Point over Chapmans Peak
    3. The waterfront for a day. Plenty to see and eat and then get the trip to robben Island
    4. A ride along the eastern coastline through Kalk Bay – must stop at the Brass Bell pub for lunch (http://www.brassbell.co.za/wmenu.php ). Must.
    5. Then on to Fish Hoek for ice cream on the beach. Nice promenade walk and next to train line.
    6. Then go further round the mountain driving along the coast to simonstown (navy yard) and old harbor. Go to the waters edge and get the best fish and chips in Cape Town from Salty Dog – Best!
    http://www.safarinow.com/destination...y-Sea-Dog.aspx.
    7. Go for a drive to Long Beach and Kommetjie to watch the surfers at Long Beach and look at the old colonial hotel and lighthouse further around from Long Beach http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...tern_Cape.html . Great place for a local pizza or sundowner is either the red herring in kommetjie or the toad in the village (owned by Bobby Skinstad the springbok rugby player and commentator on Sky now). http://www.safarinow.com/destination...staurants.aspx

8. Blue Peter Pub come restaurant Blouberg. This is away from Cape Town side so book an afternoon for a walk on the beach and then head across at about 4pm for the cold drink and pizza. A must. A must for sundowners and cheap pizza – it gets crowded…! Just across from the sea, nice cold wine and sunset, http://eatout.co.za/Restaurants/3080...ood/Blue-Peter
    9. If you go to the Nature reserve way past Simonstown, enjoy the drive. No real need to visit the top of the visitor cente unless you want to look at the 2 currents meeting each other
    10. Book the cable car and go up to the top of the mountain
    11. Go to the Gardens in Cape Town. Can be combined with your day of the cable car (near our parliament - http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/parks/...wnGardens.aspx this is a nice flat stroll and you get a good feeling for the old cape town. I used to love going there and it was always relaxing …hope it still is.
    12. Hells Bells, it’s a beautiful place, just find a coast road and ride around it. Can’t say more than that!

TRAVELLING IN SOUTH AFRICA

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hall View Post
    I fancy a biking tour of South Africa next year. Theres a company that rents the 1150 GS.
    Anyone ever been?.
    Are there any dodgy bits to avoid?
    Will I have lots of fun with my trousers on?
    Hi Dave.

Charles Edwards and I run an adventure bike-tour operation out of Cape Town. We can give you extensive information on touring South and Southern Africa. We have bikes to hire (R 1200 GS, F800 GS, etc) and I am willing to part with my own R 1150GS if you really want to ride a good one. Why not check out our website www.africa4adventure.com and give us a shout? We have plenty of options from self-guided tours to guided tours with back-up vehicles etc. Oh, and security is not an issue for us. We ride country-wide regularly without incident.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Rory McKellar-Basset
    Cape Town

Wish we were there - ZA

If you fancy ZA - JUST GO!!! It is an amazing country and the roads can't be beaten We were there for 3 1/2 weeks last November and went on a 2 week tour with Afria4Adventure. Did the Garden Route and Karoo tour (just 5 of us with guide and back up vehicle) and couldn't have wished for better - hire bikes, roads, mountains, beaches, wildlife, safari, scenery, people, banter, laughs, accommodation, food, drinks ...... Fantastic! Just have a look at their FB page or website to see what you are missing. Definitely will be making a return visit asap!

errr.....am I missing something, this original post is 10 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flatdog View Post
    errr.....am I missing something, this original post is 10 years old
    You are right - its taken a strange morph from a few pictures of the routes being talked about 10 years before to what we have here now.

But hey! Never too late to have a happy childhood

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12