GPS ........... In Cuba?

'Nuffsaid

Reaction score
I am off to Cuba at the weekend and am touring around on my own. Would really like to take a GPS with me - Has any Tosser in the know got any ideas as to what I should get, I dont need advanced road mapping (although that would be great) Just need something that lets me know where I am on a basemap and points me in the right direction. :thumb2

I guess that you won't get much better than WorldMap for definition of roads. Why not use Google Earth and find the locations of things you want to see, as it shows nice piccies of them as well? And then download it / them onto the GPS?

BTW I don't think many airlines will be happy if you switch it on in the aircraft.

I'm working with google earth at moment the GPS world map is not all that and the money saved I've invested in :beer:

cuba ain't all that big either I drove around the Domiican republic with no GPS and the map drawn on a napkin at the hotel reception:thumb2

BTW I don't think many airlines will be happy if you switch it on in the aircraft.

I've openly used GPS devices on many airlines and never had a problem. You just have to put it away on takeoff and landing...... It's just a pda/laptop.iPod etc etc type device....

I just got back from Cuba two days ago, very nice.

Would have thought that a basic handheld GPS with waypoints (like a Garmin eTrex legend/vista/etc Colour) is your best bet for off-bike use, but don't recommend this particular model for on-bike as the vibrations tend to kill them.

I've got a TomTom Rider 2 and have had a lot of fun with a program called "tyre", which gives you an interface whereby you can use Google Maps (and Earth, though Maps works better) to make your own routes and waypoints on the PC and then send them to the Rider. You do still need to have the corresponding Tomtom map installed on the Rider though, so you'd have to find one for Cuba.

I think that Google is always going to be better for mapping places the yanks don't get on with.

Mup.

Have a look at Wanderlust mapping. I just used it very succesfully in Jordan and Syria where Garmin was unable to give me anything. It covers Cuba quite well too. You can find out more at :
www.smellybiker.com

It's usually listed as one of the 'permitted' devices on an airplane. GPS receivers receive only.. Unless of course it's equipped with bluetooth... Which you should probably disable for the flight! Of course the OP never mentioned using it on a flight, but it's always good to know!

Nuffsaid

I was in Cuba in November and someone who had brought a car sat nav with them rather than leave it in the car at the airport had to hand it over to customs............If what I heard was correct they were not allowed to take it into the country but Cuban customs would look after it till they left the country........for a small charge, about the cost of replacing it!!! May be worth checking with Cuban embassy or whatever before taking it.

You will love the country, we are hooked, been six times in the last seven years. Best go now before things change and the yanks try to take it over again.

A list of airlines that permit/do not permit GPSR use in flight http://http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

Many countries are still paranoid about GPS and other aspects of mapping. A few years back Cypriot police raided an expat who, fed up with local maps, started producing his own. They conficated his PC, satNav and paper maps!

I have been to Cuba several times ,the last time was two weeks ago and first contacted the Cuban embassy who emailed me back to say that Gps are not allowed in the country.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom