Improve Road Visibility in City Navigator

ebbo/Gaz, file sent to your mail box
edit
you will see you can scroll out to 8miles without the screen being obscured by the roads to much
Dave
Thanks for the file David, I've swapped your .typ into the map directory and loaded the maps to the GPS, you got the line width spot on :thumb2 looks good on the PC too!

Well done!

P.S. the panning and re-drawing speed of the 60CSx is pretty slow, reminds me of a certain Streetpilot mono I once had :rolleyes:, Re-draw on the 276c is much faster.

Thanks for the file David, I've swapped your .typ into the map directory and loaded the maps to the GPS, you got the line width spot on :thumb2 looks good on the PC too!

Well done!
Glad to to help but most credit must go to the OP, all I did was to tweak things a little.
I used the modded map for navigating today and it looked realy good and had no affect on the speed of recalculation so well happy.
dave

Glad to to help but most credit must go to the OP, all I did was to tweak things a little.
I used the modded map for navigating today and it looked realy good and had no affect on the speed of recalculation so well happy.
dave
Yay Dave, and I took the modified mapping off the 60CSx and put standard mapping back on (jus to try) I don't think it made pan/redraw significantly faster, I wonder if Gamin could do a tweak to the software to speed it up?

I tried navig8r's map and it looked great for me too. It did slow the device down (60c) but the bottleneck is the slow processor in the GPS. I'm happy to trade speed for visibility.
Thanks to everyone who has provided help through this thread:thumb2

I very much like the idea of changing the colour of the roads in Mapsource and on my 2720 . . . . . but all this talk of TYP files and editing the registry has got me a bit lost (well, very lost actually). Could some kind soul please explain to me in simple terms how I can change B roads to orange in Mapsource and then be able to transfer maps to the 2720 so that motorways are blue, A roads are red and B roads are orange (like they are on Ordnance Survey maps).

Many thanks. :beerjug:

Moving back to the proper thread.....

Added a few more .typ files to my archive:

- Swedish Topo
- Spanish Topo
- Lithauian Routeable Topo
- Turkey Routable
- City Navigator Europe 2008 (Hallwag style)
- City Navigator Europe 2008 NT (Hallwag style)
- City Navigator Europe 2008 NT (White background)
- City Navigator Europe 2009 NT (Hallwag style)
- City Navigator Europe 2009 NT (White background)

This in a screendump from a 278 of the white background version:

cn09white.bmp

The tool used to create the .typ files is here.

HMR, I’ve just put the white background .typ on my 276c, it astonishing how clear it is, amazing! Thanks very much :)

HMR, I’ve just put the white background .typ on my 276c, it astonishing how clear it is, amazing! Thanks very much :)

OK. Thank you.

One more option you can test is black background! The white background typ files gives black background in night mode. On 276C with the older screen (pre 2006) this gives better readability in sunshine (!). Could be worth while testing also on the 60 Cx/CSx.

Another bonus is that the white background allows you to turn down background light intensity. Thus improving battery life with up to 50%.

Typ files currently in the library:

- Sweden Topo Friluftskartan Pro
- City Navigator NT Europe v9
- City Navigator Europe 2008
- City Navigator NT Europe 2008 & 2009
- City Navigator NT North America 2008 & 2009
- Turkey V7.1
- Spain Topo
- Lithuania Topo and Lithuania Topo NT (Routeable)
- Norway Topo Pro CD01 - CD20

I recently tested a Zumo 660 and found out that it was possible to do the "white background" thing on that device too.

Here is City Navigator on Zumo 660:

660_rutt.bmp

And here is the same map on 278:

278_rutt.bmp

Typ files currently in the library:

- Topo Sweden
- City Navigator NT Europe v9
- City Navigator Europe 2008
- City Navigator NT Europe 2008, 2009, 2009.10 and 2010.10
- City Navigator NT North America 2008 & 2009
- Turkey V7.1
- Spain Topo
- Litauen Topo
- Norway Topo Pro CD01 - CD20

One other issue re road visibility is that most of the available vehicle icons covers the roads close to you. I therefore created a few open, cross-hair, type icons:

sikten.gif

The grey, transparent, half-circle to the right is my favourite so far. It works with all kind of maps. Topo or road, day or night. Most important - it doesn't obscure any map details!

Download them from here: http://resmark.se/gps/garmin_vehicles.zip

Screenshots from Nüvi 760 showing the half-circle above:

City Navigator Day Colors
cne-day-bomb.bmp

City Navigator Night Colors
cne-night-bomb.bmp

Swedish Topo
fp-day-bomb.bmp

The library now updated with typ-files for:

- City Navigator NT Europe 2011.10, 2011.20 och 2011.30
- City Navigator NT North America 2011
- Russia Road Topo v6
- Sweden Topo Pro v2

CN Europe NT 2011.40?

Hej HRM,

does your typ file work with City Navigator Europe NT 2011.40?

Hej HRM,

Answer to self: No. A look at the files inside the zipped library clearly indicates why not :blast

But with help from the readme I got it to work!

@HMR: Thanks for a job well done! :thumb2

Hej HRM,

Probably yes. I currently don't have access to 2011.40 so I can't test. Do this:

- Start the TYP-file editor http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

- Edit a file of your choise. I e HMR02281.TYP

- Change Family ID from 2281 to the Family ID of version 2011.40; 2365

- Scroll down to bottom of page and Download Typ File. Save with the name HMR02365.TYP

- Install HMR02365.TYP with MapSource

OK?

--------

BroX: Skicka e-mail till mig! hmr (at) resmark.se

Probably yes. I currently don't have access to 2011.40 so I can't test. Do this:

- Start the TYP-file editor http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

- Edit a file of your choise. I e HMR02281.TYP

- Change Family ID from 2281 to the Family ID of version 2011.40; 2365

- Scroll down to bottom of page and Download Typ File. Save with the name HMR02365.TYP

- Install HMR02365.TYP with MapSource

OK?
Did exactly that and it works, clearly marked maps!

Back
Top Bottom