Improve Road Visibility in City Navigator

? how to update Z220

I'm trying to change the look of the map on the Zumo 220. I've followed HMR's excellent instructions and changed the look of the map on my PC. However, I can't find any .TYP files or reference to the .TYP file on the Z220. Also, Mapsource doesn't give me the option to load maps to the Z220.

Is there a single file that I can change on the Z220 or do I need to remove the existing map file and try reinstating it with Mapsource? I guess that changing the Z220 will be similar to changing the look of the map on a Nuvi or Z660, so if you've managed this, please let me know how!

Supplementary question - does anyone know if it is possible to load supplementary maps to SD card on the Z220? So far I haven't found a way to do this :confused:

Thanks, TC

Sorry, have been stupid - I needed to click on the map icon in Mapsource to select map tiles. Still wondering though if there is a single quick file change that can be made on the Z220 to change the appearance of the map?

I'm trying to change the look of the map on the Zumo 220. I've followed HMR's excellent instructions and changed the look of the map on my PC. However, I can't find any .TYP files or reference to the .TYP file on the Z220. Also, Mapsource doesn't give me the option to load maps to the Z220.

Is there a single file that I can change on the Z220 or do I need to remove the existing map file and try reinstating it with Mapsource? I guess that changing the Z220 will be similar to changing the look of the map on a Nuvi or Z660, so if you've managed this, please let me know how!

Supplementary question - does anyone know if it is possible to load supplementary maps to SD card on the Z220? So far I haven't found a way to do this :confused:

Sorry, have been stupid - I needed to click on the map icon in Mapsource to select map tiles. Still wondering though if there is a single quick file change that can be made on the Z220 to change the appearance of the map?
It should work so don't give up.

Can you change the preinstalled map with a small file? Yes that's one way of doing it. On your Z220's internal memory there is a file gmapprom.img that contains the preinstalled map. Ok. Here you can, using Mapsource, ad maps given that there is enough free space available. If you have EXACTLY the same map version on your PC as you have in the Z220 then you can upload one single map segment (with changed TYPing) to the Z220. It will be stored in the file gmapsupp.img in the same directory as the gmapprom.img. Now the whole map should have changed graphics.

Alternatively you can put this supplementary map on the SD card. This you do with Mapsource. Maybe you just dont use thye right menu?

After selecting map segments from one or several map families, selelect "Send To Device" from the "Transfer" drop down menu.

On the "Device" line, click the down arrow and select the device you want to put tour maps. I e the SD card.

OK?

Thanks for the encouragement HMR! I'm still struggling to get it to work on the 220. Here's what I have tried:

1. I have 2011.10 maps. I have altered the line in the file C:\Document..\All Users\Garmin\Maps\City Nav...\info.xml to refer to your HMR02204.TYP file. This works in the sense that it changes the look of the map on the PC. I then upload one segment to the 220 but the map appearance on the 220 remains unchaged. I've tried loading the segment to the Zumo and to the SD card via Mapsource, but no effect.

2. Following some instructions on the Zumo Wiki http://garminzumo.wikispaces.com/ I tried binding the HMR02204 TYP file to the Features Test mapset using the Mapset Toolkit. This time a different problem happens. The Features Test map appears registered in Mapsource before binding the new typ file. Using Mapset Toolkit I link the HMR02204 typ file, ignore the message to update the FID in the new typ file (which I guess would enter the FID of the Features Test map which I don't think is what I want), and then change the FID of Features Test to 2204. The problem then is that the Features Test mapset no longer appears in Mapsource so I cannot load it to the 220. :blast (edit: I know why Features Test disappears from Mapsource - its because it has the same FID as 2011.10. But it must have this in order to change the colour in the Z220...aaagh)

So I'm a bit stuck now. I must be getting something wrong but I can't figure out what. Any suggestions gratefully received :comfort

1. I have 2011.10 maps. I have altered the line in the file C:\Document..\All Users\Garmin\Maps\City Nav...\info.xml to refer to your HMR02204.TYP file. This works in the sense that it changes the look of the map on the PC. I then upload one segment to the 220 but the map appearance on the 220 remains unchaged. I've tried loading the segment to the Zumo and to the SD card via Mapsource, but no effect.

HMR02204.TYP will not work with Z660 because this device requires bitmapped road graphics in the TYP-file. Maybe the same is required for the Z220? I don't know. I haven't tested.

Bottom line: Try the Z660 file HMR22204.TYP.

Also: Rename or remove (after backup) the file gmapprom.img from the Z220 while testing. It may be the case that the TYP definitions in gmapprom.img dominates over the definitions you upload. The various Garmin models have many surpricing differences.

Thanks HMR :thumb. Some progress: loading one map tile with the new typ file to the Z220 does not change the appearance of the installed map. However, if gmapprom.img is renamed then the effect of the typ file can be seen on the Z220 on the supplementary map tile that has been loaded.

In fact, the HMR02204 file does seem to work on the Z220, and I prefer the effect to the HMR22204 file. The 02204 file works better across a range of zoom levels and the roads do not become too thick when zooming out. On the 22204 file they look a bit messy when zooming out to 5 or 8 miles.

The reason for starting out trying to change the colours is that the Z220 in 2D mode has the magenta route on a green basic background, which is a really poor choice of colours for contrast. In 3D mode it has a cream background and the route is much easier to see. But I much prefer 2D mode for understanding the map and the route.... Someone at Garmin deserves a kick up the butt for making the 2D mode so difficult to view.

So now I know which colour scheme I like, and which typ file works, I think I will bite the bullet and upload the full mapset into the Z220.

Thanks again HMR for the typ files and your assistance :bow. Perhaps one day Garmin will do as TT do and provide a choice of colours and save their users all this hassle.

In fact, the HMR02204 file does seem to work on the Z220, and I prefer the effect to the HMR22204 file. The 02204 file works better across a range of zoom levels and the roads do not become too thick when zooming out. On the 22204 file they look a bit messy when zooming out to 5 or 8 miles.

Interesting info. Obviously not very similar firmware on Z220 and Z660. The HMR02204 is the preferred file for most devices but it will not work at all on the Z660.

I couldn't find those registry entries on my Win7x64 system so I renamed the existing *.typ file to *.typ.old, copied the new .typ file in and gave it the same name as the Garmin one. That worked OK and the map in Mapsource is much, much clearer. Thank you.

Part of me wants to download the maps to my Zumo 660 on the grounds it should be much easier to see (it really isn't at the moment), the other part of me says "You have a rally next week, wait until afterwards".

Has anyone else used this on a 660? If you did, was it easier to read?

Kevin

The archive http://resmark.se/gps/hmrtyp.zip is still alive and kicking!

Recent updates are:

- typ files for City Navigator Russia

- typ files for the new format used in City Navigator 2014.

- typ files for OpenStreetMap

- support for Montana, Monterra and BMW Nav V.

Here is for example Swedish Topo on BMW Nav V:

NavV-FPv3.jpg

Hej,

thanks for this great resource!

Is the Zumo 550 no longer supported? I tried the typ file for 660, but that gives very thick black lines for minor roads.

Cheers, Leon.

The Typ- and Theme file archive is still alive and kicking!

The archive http://resmark.se/gps/hmrtyp.zip is still alive and kicking!

Typ-files are available for most versions of City Navigator and several of the latest GPS-models.

Here is City Navigator 2016.2 in Montana. Both DAY and NIGHT versions:

CN-Montana-day.bmp

CN-Montana-night.bmp

If you have for example a Zumo590 it may be more convenient to replace a Theme file in the GPS instead of replacing the Typ-file in the computer and upload a new map to the GPS. The archive hmrtyp.zip holds also a few ktmf Theme files. Here is City Navigator, both DAY and NIGHT, as it looks on a BMW Nav V or Zumo 590 with the Theme file HMR-NavV-CN16.kmtf active:

CN-Z590-day.png

CN-Z590-night.png

:)

Back
Top Bottom