Things I now know about the Zumo.....

Deleted account W

Things I’ve learned so far after having it for a week:

1. The SD card needs to be formatted as FAT32

2. MP3’s go on the SD card in a folder you create called “MP3”

3. The Zumo will only recognise 1000 tracks, put any more on the card and it won’t see them.

4. Put your MP3 files inside sub-folders inside the MP3 folder, group them by artist or album, it doesn't matter as the Zumo sorts them via the MP3 tag each file has. Doing this helps the Zumo start up a lot quicker for some reason.

5. You use Garmin’s POI loader to load collections of POI’s

6. You need to load all your custom POI collections from a folder you create on your PC every time you want to add new ones. Otherwise the old ones are overwritten.

7. The title of the .gpx file becomes the name of the collection when on the Zumo.

8. These collections of custom POI’s appear in the Extras menu.

9. If you send the collections using Mapsource and not POI Loader they end up filling the Favourites menu up, not a good idea.

10. Waypoints you create using Mapsource and send from Mapsource end up in the Favourites menu on the Zumo.

11. Waypoints in the Favourites menu show up on the map when zoomed in from 5 miles and lower, but Custom POI’s only show up at .3 miles and lower.

12. All my old routes in .gdb format need re-saving as .gpx format before they can be sent to the Zumo.

13. To save your current location, tap the vehicle on the screen.

14. While following a route if you tap the green bar at the top you get a full list of turns, if you then tap “Show Map” it shows the whole route with total distance and total time.

I'll add more as I learn more :thumb2

Very good list of 'how-to's' Whatton. You're quick! I hadn't found some of these out yet...I've had a 550 for a few weeks and had it in the car most of that time getting used to it before transferring to the bike. Maybe be good to make this a sticky and it can be added to? :thumb

Mines got War of the Worlds on ............... :eek:

The double album and it only counts as 2 tracks .......... :eek:

Same with Hotel Costa ( Chill out ) almost 2 hours and counts as one track .... :bounce1

Do you think iv'e fooled it .............. :nenau

Another one:
Tap the bottom right when you're navigating (where the distance to next turn is) and it gives a nice image of the next junction you're about to approach.
Very useful for big roundabouts etc.

Top Tips:
1. Backup your Zumo system files - You may accidentally delete a key file at some point (particularly if you try some of the following tips!) To do this: Connect your Zumo to your PC via USB cable. Using explorer, go to the first connected drive, labelled GARMIN. Here, you'll find a folder called Garmin, which is approximately 2GB. Copy the entire contents of the folder to somewhere safe. (I burnt mine onto DVD). Now, if you ever accidentally delete a key file, or have problems with the device crashing, you can do a comparison, and restore a missing file etc.

2. Creating a routable world basemap: Linky
Not for the computer illiterate/faint hearted. It's also a very good idea to backup your Zumo system files first (see tip 1!).

3. For the vain, replace the boot-up splash screen. There's a nice selection of screens available here. Choose the screen you would like to have from the previous link (or choose one of your own), Click on the picture to see it full size, right click the picture, and select [Save Image as]. Save the picture to your local hard-drive. Connect the Zumo via USB, copy the picture to [GARMIN Drive]\Garmin.
Disconnect the Zumo from the PC. Go to [Menu][Settings(wrench)][Display][Splash Screen][Change] and select the uploaded image.

4. Visit zumoforums.com. It's a fantastic resource for the zumo, and includes a wealth of tips, tricks and how-tos.

Keep them coming chaps, can questions be posted in other threads, lets try to keep this one clear with just tips :thumb2

These limitations, as much as tips:

1) The Zumo outputs via Bluetooth in Mono only. If you have a Scala FM, you will still receive the audio via both speakers, it'll be the same output to both. If you have a single speaker headset, you don't have to worry!

2) When the Zumo is in the automotive mount, you cannot send navigation audio, music, phonecalls, etc. via bluetooth. Audio is via the automotive mount speaker/microphone only. So if you you have a Bluetooth Car Stereo, don't expect the convenience of Zumo audio via BT. There are workarounds, e.g. using the audio out socket on the mount itself, which can be fed to your head unit, or via an additional Bluetooth transmitter (potentially in stereo too!).

3) You can create your own POIs that include dial up numbers, speed limits, etc. Again, the FAQs on zumoforums has complete guides (sorry to point to another forum again, but it does already have all the answers, and no sense in re-inventing the wheel!).

More for using it in the Car...Makes a good Car kit!
The quality on the built in mic isn't great, so use one from an old Car kit.
I've got my cradle always stuck in the corner of the window with an old Nokia Mic up near the sunvisor leading down to it (to the 2.5mm jack in the side of the mount).

Much better quality for the person on the other end of the phone.

Add an allen key to fit the battery to your kit, do not go anywhere without it! Sometimes the Zumo dies and the only fix is a battery removal/replacement!
Mine died on the bike and in the car for the same reason.
I interrupted the power supply and the Zumo asked if it should continue on battery power, on both occasions I chose No and it died, removing the battery was the only fix! Now if this happens I choose Yes then switch the Zumo off.
Maybe this is peculiar to my unit? Who knows but the battery removal fix is a known issue.

2) When the Zumo is in the automotive mount, you cannot send navigation audio, music, phonecalls, etc. via bluetooth. Audio is via the automotive mount speaker/microphone only. So if you you have a Bluetooth Car Stereo, don't expect the convenience of Zumo audio via BT. There are workarounds, e.g. using the audio out socket on the mount itself, which can be fed to your head unit, or via an additional Bluetooth transmitter (potentially in stereo too!).
I take it back. It does send audio via BT to my car's head-unit. Audio's not great quality, but it's there!

Add an allen key to fit the battery to your kit, do not go anywhere without it! Sometimes the Zumo dies and the only fix is a battery removal/replacement!
Mine died on the bike and in the car for the same reason.
I interrupted the power supply and the Zumo asked if it should continue on battery power, on both occasions I chose No and it died, removing the battery was the only fix! Now if this happens I choose Yes then switch the Zumo off.
Maybe this is peculiar to my unit? Who knows but the battery removal fix is a known issue.

Good advice Shenzi, this has happened to me on a number of occasions now and it is infuriating when you don't have the allen key available. :thumb

Keep checking the Garmin site for software updates...

If you need to restore to factory (american) settings press the bottom right corner of the screen whilst turning the unit on.:rob

Saving routes

I have just biught a zumo550. Can I go for a spin without planning a route first and then save that route I took.? If so how:):eek::mmmm

Zumo Battery

On a recent trip to France the Zumo died and would keep trying to fire up when powered of the bike cradle and then shuting down.

On returning home I repalced the battery and all seems well. The unit was only 18 months old, is this the norm?

Cannot seem to import track. I can find import data in the user data. If I go on a bike trip and find a good route does it require you to have a sd card in to save the route.

Cheers

Cannot seem to import track. I can find import data in the user data. If I go on a bike trip and find a good route does it require you to have a sd card in to save the route.

Cheers

Plug the Zumo in to your PC. Open Mapsource on your PC and go to Transfer, import from device and then make sure tracks is ticked in the pop up box that appears.

:)

Or on the Zumo go to settings, user data, manage trip log, save as route. But make sure you clear the trip log before your ride (same menu screen) or it will include all the tracks logged before the ride you want to save.

:)

Toggling the + or - on the side grip seems to alter the auto zoom out distance after a turn.

In 2-D map view mode, you can fix the zoom-out scale by firstly zooming right in to maximum, and then zooming out to whatever scale you prefer :thumb2

The only downer is that this setting is lost each time the unit powers up..

(edit: this is how the v4 firmware seems to work)

Back
Top Bottom