British forces part 2

I've never looked in here before; never knew it existed. Can someone please tell me if there's still a British presence in Nienburg, north of Hanover? I was out there in the late 1960s - 1st Field Squadron Royal Engineers, 24147160, later rose to the dizzy heights of LCpl. Also was attached to 79 Railway Squadron RCT at Moenchengladbach near Rheindalen. About fifteen years ago, whilst on holiday in Holland, I took the family back to Moenchengladbach, the old unit was much smarter than I remembered it, even had women in the RCT, unheard of in my day. I think even 'RCT' has changed now.

My son is now 26 and in the RAF; just returned from Khandahar in Afghanistan. :)

21 Engineer Regt was the last unit in Nienburg, they moved to Osnabruck in 96/97. Nienburg was a nice place though enjoyed my time there.

What is the point of that video? - the newsreels from 60/70's Vietnam probably sum up what the forces and war is really about.

What is the point in your posts? - the news reports from Al Jazeera probably sum up what your incredibly uneducated rantings are about.

What is the point in your posts? - the news reports from Al Jazeera probably sum up what your incredibly uneducated rantings are about.

Not a rant.
The forces are a necessary tool for use by the governments as they wish. It is only fair to those who are considering joining that the reality of what might be expected of them is spelled out clearly and not dressed up in jingoistic nonsense like that video clip.

As to my level of education, it was obviously superior to yours! WTF has Al Jazeera got to do with Vietnam!

Not a rant.
The forces are a necessary tool for use by the governments as they wish. It is only fair to those who are considering joining that the reality of what might be expected of them is spelled out clearly and not dressed up in jingoistic nonsense like that video clip.

Not exactly as they wish, theres still the law to consider. Those that wish to join probably have a good idea whats involved with the amount of media cover.

As to my level of education, it was obviously superior to yours! WTF has Al Jazeera got to do with Vietnam!

WTF has Vietnam got to do with the Armed Forces today? You may well be very educated but you patently have no idea about the Armed Forces, and further appear to have a very large chip on your shoulder about them.

Exactly - they should shut up and get on with their jobs? If they have a problem then take it to their boss and if they don't like the answer then leave and get a job in civvy street - Don't whinge it ain't professional - they aren't conscripts after all.

I do know what I'm talking about. My in-laws have been in the forces all their lives and although they are nice people - they really haven't got a clue about the 'real world'. They wouldn't last 6 months if they had to make a living like the rest of us!

The original posting was suggesting that the video summed up what the forces were all about.

On first viewing it appeared extremely naiive; but on the other hand perhaps it was in fact very intelligently designed to create exactly the required emotions in the minds of the type of person that the forces need to attract.

My knowledge of the forces comes from my Grandfather who fought on the Western Front; my Uncle who fought in North Africa and my Father who was in India - they experienced the reality of what the forces were required to do.

My father-in-law served from the age of 16 until 55 and retired as a Senior Warrant Officer about 10 years ago; my brother-in-law is still in the RAF and family friend is a Wing Commander.

No I haven't been in the forces; but I will believe their experiences (even if the second group were/are still sometimes dreadful whingers) over and above some silly 'Youtube' style video clip!

Back
Top Bottom