Battery light staying on

Andyh

Reaction score
Hi guys, a newbie here, and I'm as technically-minded as a brick :(. Went out for a spin for the first time on my new to me '91 r100gs.:). First time in 11 years for riding a "proper" bike. Half way through the ride the battery light came on and stayed on. the question is do r100gs's have a problem with their altenators, ie over-charging/undercharging. and if so at what sort of mileage does the altenator give up at. mines reading 44k. thanks in advance of any advice.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The charging systems one of the Airheads weak spots.

It could be one of several faults. The most common of which is the alternator rotor giving up the ghost. The first thing to do is make sure the brushes are making contact with the slip ring on the rotor. If they are have a look at this:-

Attachments

• Alternator test.JPG
    Alternator test.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 759
Hi Rob, thanks for the info. I will have a good look at it tomorrow evening. :), all things being well it will be the brushes.
thanks again Andy

Let us know how you get on Andy :thumb2

I'll keep an eye open for glow on the horizon :D

I have just got a r100gspd It starts easy runs at idle with lights on heated grips and spotlight when it gets upto 4k rpm the battery light flickers switch off lights it's ok, the battery apparently is fairly new but when I got it I put it on a optimate and it took a day at least to get to the green light any ideas dont know if it battery loose wire on the light or something else thanks

If it's not the brushes / slip rings, look at the connection between the stator windings and the 3 tab terminal block. I had the same symptoms and a dry soldier joint meant I lost a phase.
Mark

Back
Top Bottom