Camera's at the ready. The wet foot ride is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAL. H.

Thrower of cats at pigeons
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following some discussion It's been decided that I will lead a Ford ride on the Saturday.

The route as yet is undecided, though I have identified some interesting fords for the brave and at least one that is doable by the most timid of fording virgins.

There will be plenty of opportunities for the would-be paparazzi among you too so don't forget your cameras.

More later.

Val.

Val, I'm up for it but am a little concerned as my bike now has a stubby end can instead of the standard one I had last year.....:eek:

I have done a couple of smaller iow fords but I have seen your fords on here...they are bloody oceans with boats :eek: Will I need to bring my water wings :D If there is a bridge will I look a wimp by feelin the need to use it :eek:

My local IAM group is doing one this Sunday and the run leader showed me this link

www.wetroads.co.uk

dunno if you used it Val, looks kinda interesting.
have a good day out.

millard

Val, I'm up for it but am a little concerned as my bike now has a stubby end can instead of the standard one I had last year.....:eek:

Just keep the revs high, you'll be fine :augie Or you could put end can back on :D

I have done a couple of smaller iow fords but I have seen your fords on here...they are bloody oceans with boats :eek: Will I need to bring my water wings :D If there is a bridge will I look a wimp by feelin the need to use it :eek:

H, most of the fords are 'there and back fords' so you won't be stranded on the wrong side.
I won't be taking my 1200 through most of them. I need it for work (it's my office and classroom you see) on Monday. I'll use Jills 650 instead ;) if she'll let me near it.

My local IAM group is doing one this Sunday and the run leader showed me this link

www.wetroads.co.uk

dunno if you used it Val, looks kinda interesting.
have a good day out.

millard

Thanks Millard :thumb2 it's a good source of information the Wet roads site. I've used it a few times.

Val.

H, most of the fords are 'there and back fords' so you won't be stranded on the wrong side.
I won't be taking my 1200 through most of them. I need it for work (it's my office and classroom you see) on Monday. I'll use Jills 650 instead ;) if she'll let me near it.
Val.

Exactly why I worry Val, mine is my one and only bike and I will not risk spoilin it but depending how deep the fords are I could be tempted, will just have to wait and see I guess on the day :augie

Much more fun watching others crossing them, if you want real entertainment try the one in Gayle near Hawes ;) or Winster ford near Windermere, both of which are a bit of a trek from Wales :(.

Nice one val..

Sounds fun, I will bring the tool kit and WD40.. :D

As for damage, apart from any impact damage, there is a simple rule. If it stops.. Dont Start It!
Whip the plugs out, turn it over, whang some WD40 in to ensure water is out and whalla!

This was me last years having fun at Llangollen do...
(How not to do it.. )
ford1.jpg

And from the front..
ford2.jpg

And finally, actually getting it right :)
ford3.jpg

No actual damage to the bike, just a bruise shin and my pride.. lol..
(Cheers Bill, that was a great day out)

Yep, the 1st pic would be me alright :eek: Any tips on how its done then :confused: Done a couple of our iow fords here and that was ok, better than I had imagined it would be, nick said to me just dont stall it so I went through like a train and it was perfect :D I guess its ok as long as you dont encounter any large rocks and its not too deep !

How its done..

Well, I am no expert.. but basically the past few llangollen events, we have walked through first to ensure all is clear, any BIG rocks are identified and any debri (ie metal bits etc) in the water removed. Also gives you an idea how slippy it is.. some of the shallower fords can be more slippery than the deep ones as the shallow water allows more algae to grow.

As for riding through, steady entry to keep momentum up, constant slightly elevated revs and be prepared for the bike to squirm about at bit underneath you.

If you think you going to loose it, hit the engine kill if you can. Water can only really do any damage if you try and start the engine with water in it. It will stop your engine, but that should not damage it. Only if you try cranking it over.

Some fords are really straight forward, just like riding through a big puddles really. Some are trickier, the one where i am laying down, was very very stoney, with big rocks, actually quite shallow but very very slippy.

Ok, I have a route planned. We'll be visiting about six fords assuming there are no major issues.
Most will be 'there and back' jobbies as the exits lead off up unmade roads, so from a spectator point of view we'll be sticking to the tarmac.

The plan is to visit some of the local reservoirs to make things a little more scenic, plus an excuse to visit a ford with a rather spectacular backdrop.

The lunch stop will be at a reasonably priced roadside service area where you'll be able to top-up with fuel if needs be.

We will be using the Drop-off system. So please read below. (blatantly plagiarized from Paul's Road ride post) :augie

It's in your own interest and the interest of the others with you that you have a good understanding of this system.

We'll be leaving at 10.15 am on Saturday morning. Gathering at 10.00 for a pre-ride briefing just outside the courtyard. Just look for a black and yellow 650gs covered in bees and flowers with lots of lights on the front too :rolleyes:

..................................................​

*****Here are some useful tips for those joining the rides*****
  • Try to arrive with a full tank..
  • The Ford ride will be leaving the Baskerville Hall car park at 10:15 sharp, give yourself enough time to be ready for a pre-ride briefing at 10:00.
On the road.
Please give everyone enough space and be prepared for the unexpected as not everyone will know the route/roads.

The Second Man Drop Off System

This requires a Leader, a Tail ender, and the
Riders.

• The Leader,- is familiar with the route, and follows it. He should carry a
    mobile in case of problems on route. He will point out to the first person behind him where to wait to be best
    positioned to mark each junction.
  • The Tail ender, - is ideally familiar with the route also, but doesn’t have to be. They
    will stay at the back for the entire ride and will be pointed out at the beginning of the ride. (They may wear a
    fluro vest to make them more prominent). The tail ender is exactly that, everyone else stays in front of them, once
    the junction marker sees the Tail ender, approaching they should move off.
  • The Riders – if at any point the route deviates i.e. you take a turn off, the first of
    the Riders behind the Leader, will stop to mark the way
    at the junction in a place prominent to the rest of the following group.
  • Once the Tail ender, has arrived, the junction marker can then move off.
  • If any of the Riders decides to drop off the back of the group (behind the tail ender),
    they must inform the Tail ender, what's going on.
A few safety points
  • Do not ride above your ability/limits to try and keep up. There will be a bike waiting for you at the next
    junction. There will be regular stops for a breather/fag break during which you can catch up safely. (Just because we
    have pulled over for a couple of minutes it doesn’t mean we are having a fag break though! if the
    Leaders helmet is still on, he isn’t planning on stopping)
  • Do not get pushed along by a faster bike behind you. Move over and let them through. Slower riders, beware you may
    be holding up a faster rider and move over, let them past.
  • Ride at a pace that is within your ability.
  • Its not a race and you wont get left behind. Just because you cant see the bike in front doesn’t mean you’re going
    to get left behind. Take it steady, someone will be waiting somewhere.
  • If everyone follows these simple ideas we can all enjoy a cracking ride, and have a great time in the evening.

* The organiser accepts no responsibility for the actions of the participants. *

The participants accept that they are attending by their own free will and in
the knowledge that they are at all times responsible for their own actions,
and their own safety.

Adapted from a Ride Out Etiquette written by
Abel

Please also consider the implications of Fording. It can be very easy to do serious damage to your engine. There are some basic rules you should follow when riding in deep water.
Keep the revs up to help prevent against the bike stalling mid stream.
If you drop your bike you need to turn it off immediately.
DO NOT attempt to restart the bike until the plugs have been removed and any water evacuated.

1100/1150 owners should be prepared to replace the diff oil at the end of the day.

1200 owners should be prepared to replace the engine oil asap, should the air box become flooded.

650 owners shouldn't attempt to tip their bike upside down unless assisted by a man with a video camera.

1100/1150 owners should be prepared to replace the diff oil at the end of the day..

mmm, me thinks I will be inclined to use the bridges no matter what, would feel better using a 650 through the fords since its a much lighter bike :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom