1150 fuel gauge not working...

Banjaxed

Reaction score
Promoted this from a different thread as got no (useful!) replies.

The fuel gauge on my 05 1150 GSA has stopped working - no bars at all. Not intermittent, or reading low, or anything else. Nada, rien, nowt...

Took the tank off the new (to me) 1150GSA to replace the battery and now the fuel gauge doesn't work. The tank was almost empty when I did it (having wrestled with a full tank on the last Adv!) and wasn't banged about (so hopefully, the float is OK). Very careful about replacing it (throttle cable, breatherpipes, etc. and had the tank off the previous bike many times with no problems.

Have also checked the four-wire connector block under the R/H side of the tank. Difficult to tell, but the connectors look OK. Cleaned them with emery paper and ensured that the connector was fully pushed home.

Funny thing was, the gauge WAS working just after I put the tank back - and now it isn't. :confused::confused::confused:

Any ideas? Have I missed a fuse or something stupidly simple?

And yes - the bike runs fine, there IS petrol, the clock and temp gauge work...

Everything you've described points to the connector that you mentioned, under the righthand cover. I think I'd start by checking the wires to/from the connector for continuity...

HTH,

. The tank was almost empty when I did it (having wrestled with a full tank on the last Adv!)

Funny thing was, the gauge WAS working just after I put the tank back - and now it isn't. :confused::confused::confused:

They do that when it's a certain low level of fuel and the tank has been removed . Put some fuel in it and it'll be back to normal ;) or lean the bike over to the opposite side of the centre stand, then put it back on the main stand.

Well - found the problem (I think)

When I refitted the tank, I must have trapped the electrical cable somewhere, 'cos when I had a good look at the wires as they enter the connector, looks like it's shorted out.

So, question is - can I get a replacement cable or do I have to buy an entire fuel gauge/pump assembly? If it's the latter, I may have to resort to serious surgery on the existing cables instead.

Any thoughts?

Tank

If it's shorted out it will have blown the fuse, check all the fuses are ok if not replace should be possible to sort out the cables but try the fuse first.

Strange...

Thanks Dave - that was my first thought too, but strangely, fuse no 3 looks absolutely fine...

Think I might start by rebuilding the wiring and give Motorworks a call tomorrow and see if they have a s/h gauge in stock.

Thanks for the help.

Fuel gauge problem....

Hello fellow sufferer!

I know this is an old problem for you, but my GSA1150 seems to have exactly the same problem you had (see your thread below...) - burnt out earth wire from the fuel gauge sender unit in the tank.

Did you ever resolve the problem? I'd really appreciate advice....

Many thanks

Nige Watson

The fuel gauge on my 05 1150 GSA has stopped working - no bars at all. Not intermittent, or reading low, or anything else. Nada, rien, nowt...

Took the tank off the new (to me) 1150GSA to replace the battery and now the fuel gauge doesn't work. The tank was almost empty when I did it (having wrestled with a full tank on the last Adv!) and wasn't banged about (so hopefully, the float is OK). Very careful about replacing it (throttle cable, breatherpipes, etc. and had the tank off the previous bike many times with no problems.

Have also checked the four-wire connector block under the R/H side of the tank. Difficult to tell, but the connectors look OK. Cleaned them with emery paper and ensured that the connector was fully pushed home.

Any ideas? Have I missed a fuse or something stupidly simple?

And yes - the bike runs fine, there IS petrol, the clock and temp gauge work...[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steptoe. My Adv fuel guage only lit up bout halfway when I refuelled to the top. I gave the bike a shake as I drove along, hoping it would rattle it free, but when I got home, about 160 miles later, it was still on the same setting. I had been driving with the reserve light on for about 20 miles and managed to cram 28 litres in, which means I still had another 10 miles in the tank to go.:augie IF the 30 litre capacity cn be believed. I have never run the tank dry to find out.

Anyway, having read this I leaned the bike over to the RIGHT as you suggested above. Bingo, fuel float released and is now bobbing about up the top again.:clap:thumb2

Thanks again. Another little gem of wisdom filed away for future need.

Just to dig up the past....
Gails bike has just done this and the thin brown wire which joins to the thicker one at the bottom of the multiplug has burned out right up to the sender unit!
Is this wire burning due to a sticky float? is it OK to replace this wire or should another sender unit be fitted?

Any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom