tired, bloody, tyred and pi$$ed off

the celt

Reaction score
...my country is Kiltartan Cross, My countrymen Ki
Hola to one and all,
Well this is my honest report, well as mush as an Irishman can be honest;) Mick sent me an email on the 1jan saying hed be in el calafate so I made me way back down the road to meet up with the fair fellow on the 2nd, Spent two days together and heard all about yer man Mick and and some Irish chick, "sure she must have no brain":D
Well anyway as Mick was engaged I headed up ruta 40 , to see what was happen, lads and ladies my hat goes off to all those GSers that have done this route before, esp Tiffany C and Yosi, as the road was a f¿Çin nightmare, I have tavelled ripio roads before but this has to take the biscuit, to be honest I was close to the cloth. ( Ripio Road = Deep gravel, lose sand, deep sand, deep pot holes , ripples and what everthing else Mr "Windy" has up his sleeve,............. sorry and also a nice wee bit for a photo)
And I am on me "Jack Jones" and to be honest I was taking it easy on some parts I was down to 25mph, my front wheel was still dancing all over the place and sure I just could not control it, about 100km up this road sure I lost it once again in deep sand down hill, and for the life of me I could not lift me moto. So theres me like a spare prick in the middle off a desert watching for a bit of dust to signal another living soul, and thank God didnt a 4X4 turn up. So your man helps me get it back on the road but in the wrong direction, so Jose makes another fool off himself by dropping it once again, sure isnt it great ?:rolleyes:
Well anyway after a night in a farm house I was well on me way once again, or so I thought, that front tyre again was going soft( a bit like meself) I stopped the bike and had a look, but could not see a hole so pumped it up and carried on. About 50km up the road it was still sliding all over the place so parked up, and had another good look, the tyre walls had cracks in them, so pumped it up once again and headed for the nearest town, "Esquel" and thank God I did.
Found a local moto dealer and asked his advice, the front tyre was :GS:GS:GS:GSed tyre walls had no pressure, I now think that this is what caused my accident as the rear tyre also looks like it been attack by the "RIPPER", the tyre type is Avon Grispter recommended to Mick by a fellow traveller, I have used this tyre for the last 3000 miles and it is crap about 2500miles on ripio, dirt and off road. The tyre has no GRIP, but it should still hold together, I will bring the front tyre back with me and give it to the nice "AVON" lady.
Anyway will pick the moto back up tommorrow with the front tyre taped up and a tube fitted, will head into Santiago, Chile for a spare.
on the road
sure ya ave to
jose

Sounds like hard work Jose... I bet it beats driving the buses through London though?

Keep the reports coming, I'll drink a Guiness for you.

:beer:

Hi Rob,
I would not change a thing it is the best thing Ive ever done. It has been well worth the 2 and a half years in London with them bloody buses, got the tube fitted yesterday so back on the road once again also Rob your "motoswitch" is now working my tail light as my aux lights went awol with the spill and the tail light stopped working, so I am now running with a "motoswitch" tail light this could be another selling point:D
on the road
sure ya ave to
jose

Buenos dias Don Jose:
Don't worry, amigo. From now on roads only improve. Regarding the tyres, I suspect they won't last till Santiago. Long way to go.
However, you may get them in Puerto Mont or Osorno. Take a look here:

http://www.mx.cl/ Metzeler tyres in Chle. They should be able to send them to you.
http://www.avilaneumaticos.cl/ Tyre Fitting
http://www.neumaticosorno.cl/ ditto

IMPORTANT: Do not tell them is for a beemer. Just give them the dimentions. Otherwise they may tell you they do not deal with BMW or they will rip you off...

Once in Santiago, head for the Avenida 10 de Julio. A long street lined with workshops. You should be able to find help to make essencial repairs/improvements.

Contact me on yosi@bikerider.com if you need more info...

Buena suerte, compadre...

PD Don't miss Pucon and Villarica...

Whoops!

Oh dear.

I've just e mailed mx@mx.cl on Joe's behalf, asking for prices for Sahara 3 tyres for R1100GS. Should have come to this site before Hotmail, I guess. Anyway, their reply should prove interesting one way or the other!

Hasta Luego, Mick

Hola Yosi,
Thanks for the info will check for the tyres in Osorno, I am in San Carlos de Bariloche at the moment the road up from Esquel was fantastic mountain road up through the Argentine Lake District, I know I shoudn´t have, but I had to open me moto up on this road long sweeping bends with mountains all around and lakes that where like mirrors and tarmac as flat and smooth as you´ll find in europe and the sun was beatin down with clear blue skies, I felt like a TT rider 70mph-80mph bends and slow tight corners 30mph-40mph and as for the straights well lets just say it was red lining, I know I shoudn´t have with the tyres in such a bad way but God only knows when I´ll be back and "sure ya ave to".
Will head back in to Chile tomorrow and check out the volcanos and the Chilian lake district, I was thinking of taking the road to Villarrica and Pucon maybe back into Argentina if I get the tyres if not I will still take it and then maybe back on to Ruta 5, thanks again for the info Yosi. Cheers Mick for the tyre info as well, will email you the details of a great campsite in Bariloche right on the lake with plenty of young ladies looking a lift into town:D
on the road
sure ya ave to
jose

José

Ive just happened onto your posts. ¡Qué Dios te bendiga!

I dont need to tell you, but sure ya ave to.....

spanish;)

Back
Top Bottom