'I went to the Alps but they were closed' trip - 2008

Some nice pics there G.

I'm particularly struck by this one, the detail makes it look more real than reality somehow!

DSCF2559.jpg

This one could almost be an advert for Garmin (but they'd probably like some more exciting background).

DSCF2538.jpg

And this one purely for the far right arse. :loveheart

DSCF2632.jpg

Some nice pics there G.

This one could almost be an advert for Garmin (but they'd probably like some more exciting background).

And this one purely for the far right arse. :loveheart

the hula-hooping girls advert is mega in Belgium right now, my friend was a nightmare whooping with delight everytime we passed one....:blast

and as for Garmin, they can always bung a few quid my way and I'll let them use my pic or go find the sort of pic they really want.....:augie .....:D (Africa....Australia.....who knows where.....:nenau)

and as for Garmin, they can always bung a few quid my way and I'll let them use my pic or go find the sort of pic they really want.....:augie .....:D (Africa....Australia.....who knows where.....:nenau)

It works for me. Gives a sense of heading into the unknown. New horizons and all that. And wet of course :blast

the hula-hooping girls advert is mega in Belgium right now, my friend was a nightmare whooping with delight everytime we passed one....
Can't imagine why. Nor could I see myself doing the same.
How much was the ferry BTW. :augie

It works for me. Gives a sense of heading into the unknown. New horizons and all that. And wet of course :blast

Can't imagine why. Nor could I see myself doing the same.
How much was the ferry BTW. :augie

ferry was about £80 for an open ended return ticket, pretty happy with that sort of price.....:thumb2

Where's the pics of your stunning trip through England on your way to the land of the Frenchies eh???:handbag

I also had to stop at the Post Office on the way South to pick up my Zumo power lead which had just arrived from Touratwat, thinking of Earthmover and whether his had arrived too.

Erm, no. :spitfire
Glad you got yours in time, I ran the Garmin lead to the battery when they told me they were on back order, as mine so obviously still is.
Excellent write up by the way. :thumb
Mark

Excellent write up and photies Paul :thumb2

Skye and I had a trip around France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria and Germany in 2005 and your trip brought back fond memories. We will have to do it again on the GS.

Iain

Really good trip report and pix there. Paul. Great stuff :beerjug:

Excellent, good effort. Most impressed by the number of photos, when I'm on a good road I often think I should stop and take a photo but if I'm having a good ride, can't be arsed so keep going - so I get home with about 10 photos, generally of the bike in the evening.

So good to make the effort and let others see where you went

:beerjug:

great diary

The trip sounds great, and the way you document it makes the reader almost experience it with you.
We love Belguim, specially the historic towns and cities. Brugge is my favourite. The peacefull, no worries atmosphere.
Last time I was there me and a mate ended up in a Whisky bar that serves more than 40 verieties of malted whisky, and we met the local tax man, Reginald.
bicycles down to the "kerk plein" for fritjies met stowevlees sous.....lekker plek!!

Beautiful photographs

Imagine living in the middle of all this as I do. A km or so up the road I can see a horizon full of Alps (on a good day) although they are 100km away. Half an hour to the Ardeche, an hour to Chambery, Lyon just up the road, and plenty of room on the local roads. Next time you plan a trip include Lyon in your itinerary - one of the nicest towns in France, nealy always bypassed by the English (and the Dutch and the Belgians etc. ) as they head to the med;

Imagine living in the middle of all this as I do. A km or so up the road I can see a horizon full of Alps (on a good day) although they are 100km away. Half an hour to the Ardeche, an hour to Chambery, Lyon just up the road, and plenty of room on the local roads. Next time you plan a trip include Lyon in your itinerary - one of the nicest towns in France, nealy always bypassed by the English (and the Dutch and the Belgians etc. ) as they head to the med;

y' b'stard .....I could have stopped at yours for lunch....:augie

:D

"...y' b'stard .....I could have stopped at yours for lunch...." Yes, you could have done and you would have been very welcome! Next time don't hesitate to 'pm me' if that is the term?

Givi Topbox

Hi,

Great pics I really enjoyed looking at them all.

May I ask the size of the Givi topcase in your Wester Ross pictures, and do you find it fairly robust etc.

I am thinking of buying one for my GS Adv and would appreciate your experience with it.

Many thanks.

Ian

Hi,

Great pics I really enjoyed looking at them all.

May I ask the size of the Givi topcase in your Wester Ross pictures, and do you find it fairly robust etc.

I am thinking of buying one for my GS Adv and would appreciate your experience with it.

Many thanks.

Ian

it's the 46L Monokey, I really like it, lots of carrying space (can easily fit a helmet inside - some say two), found it very reliable, haven't tested it's security, I tend to take it indoors if I'm away and staying in a B&B, wouldn't like to try the thief test.....:eek:

excellent write

gonna be doing calais into belge in 3 weeks

only ever been to ieper on way back from germany

going bruges and gent and brussels this time

any tips??

thanks

excellent write

gonna be doing calais into belge in 3 weeks

only ever been to ieper on way back from germany

going bruges and gent and brussels this time

any tips??

thanks

check here for Bruges, can't speak for Bruxelles sorry....as for Ghent, basically go see the Cathedrals and Churches (St Baafs is awesome, climb the towers for those magic kodak moments), Belgian food is great, so's the beer), I personally love Belgium and the folks are just swell too.....:thumb ....sure you'll have a great time

Back
Top Bottom