Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Verns panniers installation

Verns panniers installation

After many months of searching for the right pannier system for my '03 R1150 GSA, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of VERNS panniers.
    Reading many, many posts of the various panniers available on the market from canvas throwovers, Pelican plastic cases and even posts about ammo cans for panniers, I came to the conclusion that Verns were of the quality and reliability I was after. I even had thoughts of making my own set with flat ally sheet with ally angle riveted in the corners. Then there was the search for frame mounts...........it all became too much.
    Vern had posted that he was offering sets of panniers for 525 quid and after a few calculations I thought that this was an offer too good to refuse.
    A few emails were exchanged and the deal was done.

I bought a set of Verns 10" with anodised black boxes and silver lids, delivered to Australia.

This is how the precious cargo arrived:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Versn pannier installation

Opening the carton, I was amazed at the effort that Vern goes to ensure the cases arrive damage free.

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    And a free magazine too. Top bloke that Vern.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Verns pannier installation

The first thing I did was to lay all the mounting parts out on the floor.

The quality of all the parts is beyond reproach.

why did you have to plug the box in?

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    And a free magazine too. Top bloke that Vern.

he didn't want his address showing in case we started all sending him presents

Ok, time to get to the nitty gritty. All up the installation went too easily!! In all, about 2 hrs.
    Prior to installing the mounts, I rubbed down all the s/steel mounts with 400 wet and dry just because I wanted to!!!

First off, I removed the rear indicators so as to install the the shorter s/steel stalks which comes with the kit.

Next up, I removed the plastic pannier frames I fitted from my R1100GS. I bolted up the beautiful s/steel frames to the existing mounts....they fitted perfectly.

And the other side and rear brace.

Next came the mount at the footpegs. There is a 5mm thick aluminium spacer supplied that fits in the gap created from fitting the footpeg to pannier mount.

Bottom mount fitted.

Next up, the panniers themselves go on. The cases a quite light and the predrilled holes in them lined up perfectly.
    The nicely finished bobbins spin on easily and just to be nipped up with a 6mm allen key. They are finished off with a domed nut to prevent damage to the cases' contents. The upper rear mount is a nylock nut to which the lid stay attaches to.

There you have it.......a very easy task accomplished in about 2 hrs. I had a Givi topbox fitted to the bike and discovered that the lids would not clear it.
    It will stay off for now. The panniers can be removed in about 10 - 15 minutes
    with just a hex key and a 13mm spanner.

I'll be going on a ride this Sunday with a few mates traveling about 600kms...a full days ride and a good shake down for the panniers. I will report my findings after this.

One of my mates has already seen them but not on the GS and he is so impressed with the quality he is VERY seriously considering buying a set.
    He had all the intentions of buying a set of Jessies but after seeing these works of art............. VERN, another sale in the pipeline!!!!

Thank you VERN for all you've done to make me one VERY proud owner of the finest panniers out there.

Billy.

GS pervert Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I see they've already reached Ozziland

Nice pictorial report there mate

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsiklonaut View Post
    Nice pictorial report there mate
    +1

They suit your bike well Billy.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

1100 Rider Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Beautiful attention to detail there, machined ally spacer (TT give you a stack of washers) Short indicators (TT give you ugly scrap metal) excellent review and pics, thanks.
    Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast