Verns panniers installation

billyt53

Reaction score
After many months of searching for the right pannier system for my '03 R1150 GSA, I bit the bullet and ordered a set of VERNS panniers.
Reading many, many posts of the various panniers available on the market from canvas throwovers, Pelican plastic cases and even posts about ammo cans for panniers, I came to the conclusion that Verns were of the quality and reliability I was after. I even had thoughts of making my own set with flat ally sheet with ally angle riveted in the corners. Then there was the search for frame mounts...........it all became too much.
Vern had posted that he was offering sets of panniers for 525 quid and after a few calculations I thought that this was an offer too good to refuse.
A few emails were exchanged and the deal was done.

I bought a set of Verns 10" with anodised black boxes and silver lids, delivered to Australia.

This is how the precious cargo arrived:

Attachments

• Verns panniers arrive.jpg
    Verns panniers arrive.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,236
Versn pannier installation

Opening the carton, I was amazed at the effort that Vern goes to ensure the cases arrive damage free.

Attachments

• Verns panniers arrive (1).jpg
    Verns panniers arrive (1).jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,237
  • Verns panniers arrive (2).jpg
    Verns panniers arrive (2).jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,228
  • Verns panniers arrive (3).jpg
    Verns panniers arrive (3).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,224
Verns pannier installation

The first thing I did was to lay all the mounting parts out on the floor.

The quality of all the parts is beyond reproach.

Attachments

• Verns panniers arrive (9).jpg
    Verns panniers arrive (9).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • Verns panniers arrive (11).jpg
    Verns panniers arrive (11).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,208

Ok, time to get to the nitty gritty. All up the installation went too easily!! In all, about 2 hrs.
Prior to installing the mounts, I rubbed down all the s/steel mounts with 400 wet and dry just because I wanted to!!!

First off, I removed the rear indicators so as to install the the shorter s/steel stalks which comes with the kit.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (1).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (1).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,209
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (22).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (22).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,210
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (20).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (20).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,214

Next up, I removed the plastic pannier frames I fitted from my R1100GS. I bolted up the beautiful s/steel frames to the existing mounts....they fitted perfectly.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (14).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (14).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (15).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (15).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,201

And the other side and rear brace.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (13).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (13).jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,210

Next came the mount at the footpegs. There is a 5mm thick aluminium spacer supplied that fits in the gap created from fitting the footpeg to pannier mount.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (10).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (10).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (11).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (11).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 1,185

Bottom mount fitted.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (6).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (6).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,188

Next up, the panniers themselves go on. The cases a quite light and the predrilled holes in them lined up perfectly.
The nicely finished bobbins spin on easily and just to be nipped up with a 6mm allen key. They are finished off with a domed nut to prevent damage to the cases' contents. The upper rear mount is a nylock nut to which the lid stay attaches to.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (9).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (9).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (2).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (2).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,179

There you have it.......a very easy task accomplished in about 2 hrs. I had a Givi topbox fitted to the bike and discovered that the lids would not clear it.
It will stay off for now. The panniers can be removed in about 10 - 15 minutes
with just a hex key and a 13mm spanner.

I'll be going on a ride this Sunday with a few mates traveling about 600kms...a full days ride and a good shake down for the panniers. I will report my findings after this.

One of my mates has already seen them but not on the GS and he is so impressed with the quality he is VERY seriously considering buying a set.
He had all the intentions of buying a set of Jessies but after seeing these works of art............. VERN, another sale in the pipeline!!!!

Thank you VERN for all you've done to make me one VERY proud owner of the finest panniers out there.

Billy.

Attachments

• Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (4).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (4).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,185
  • Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (5).jpg
    Pannier fitting 2 Jul 08 (5).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,177
Beautiful attention to detail there, machined ally spacer (TT give you a stack of washers) Short indicators (TT give you ugly scrap metal) excellent review and pics, thanks.
Stewart

Ya know Billy, it would have been just as easy for you to pop up to Verns to get them fitted by the man himself.

You have to make the coffee but it would have been worth the trip:D

Ya know Billy, it would have been just as easy for you to pop up to Verns to get them fitted by the man himself.

You have to make the coffee but it would have been worth the trip:D

The three month ride home to New South Wales would have been a good test of their durability too.

:rolleyes:

Glad you're happy

That's a really nice post,and really good clear pictures as well.

Thanks for that:beer:

There you have it.......a very easy task accomplished in about 2 hrs. I had a Givi topbox fitted to the bike and discovered that the lids would not clear it.
It will stay off for now. [...]

Thank you VERN for all you've done to make me one VERY proud owner of the finest panniers out there.

Billy.
Argh - yet another thing to consider.
I have a 52 liter GIVI (with the optional brake lights installed) and I really, really want it on.
How tall are your lids? 65mm or taller?

[TaSK]

Back
Top Bottom