Shep's Run to Ardnamurchan Point:

Voyager

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We seem to have lost the history of "the wee bimble", so I'll start a new thread for the last phase of Shep's epic ride.

For those who missed it . . Shep started at the furthest point South on the mainland (Lizard Point in Cornwall) on Wednesday, then travelled to the furthest East point (near Lowestoft), furthest North (Dunnet Head) then furthest West (Ardnamurchan Point).

I met up with Shep and his local guide (GC) at the Corran Ferry on Friday morning . . . .

I left home, near Edinburgh, at 06:20 and travelled up the A9 to Dalwhinnie, then took the A86 to Spean Bridge and from there to Fort William - where I filled up with fuel at 'The Road to the Isles' BP station. I then took the A830 towards Mallaig but turned South onto the A861 that runs along the South of Loch Eil and then down the West side of Loch Linnhe. These are sea lochs.

It was a lovely morning and the views along Loch Eil were stunning . .

DSCN2619.jpg

DSCN2626.jpg

DSCN2625.jpg

DSCN2624.jpg

I reached Ardgour at 09:55, in time for my appointment with Shep and GC. The village is at 'The Corran Narrows' where in the past farmers used to swim their cattle across the loch in order to reach the market. There has been a ferry there since the mid 19th century.

Looking across to the South landing stage - I wouldn't want to attempt to swim it :eek:

DSCN2637.jpg

The current ferry 'The Corran' runs a regular 30 minute service, the crossing only takes a few minutes.

DSCN2633.jpg

Looking East, towards Fort William . . .

DSCN2635.jpg

Looking West towards the open sea, on the North side, the Narrows have their own lighthouse.

DSCN2636.jpg

At the appointed time the ferry docked with two bikes on board . . there were supposed to be four - what happened to Burton & Whatton then ? ? ?

DSCN2642A.jpg

'Ol Ironbutt' himself disembarks, looking remarkably cheerful considering the distance he has covered.

DSCN2644.jpg

First stop was at 'The Ardnamurchan Natural History and Visitor Centre', for coffee.

DSCN2647.jpg

This is set in a cove on the coast; lovely in summer but probably a bit bleak in winter.

DSCN2648.jpg

There is a good selection of 'touristy' souvenirs, including local crafts.

DSCN2649.jpg

DSCN2650.jpg

DSCN2651.jpg

After a look around, we had a very civilised cup of coffee.

DSCN2652.jpg

In no time at all we reached Ardnamurchan Point and the end of Shep's odyessy. Well done Shep - top man :thumb

DSCN2654.jpg

There are great views from here . .

DSCN2656.jpg

DSCN2658.jpg

Shep found a Bearded Collie - just like his - and a game of 'sticks' ensued :D (the dog's owner lives on the north side of Loch Tay, and has an Airhead :thumb).

DSCN2664.jpg

We then retraced our steps to Salen then headed north towards Mallaig. We stopped at Glenuig for lunch - but the Pub was closed :blast

DSCN2669-1.jpg

Something to do with alterations by the look of it :augie

DSCN2672-1.jpg

Stunning coastline on the North side of the Ardnamurchan Peninsular as well . .

DSCN2671.jpg

Next on to Mallaig, where we were just in time for the ferry (no lunch here then :blast). We met up with Aidan and Mandy - here chatting to a couple with a Triumph Sports Car.

DSCN2674.jpg

Then on to the Ferry, where the bikes were strapped down.

DSCN2676A.jpg

Then 'topside' for some sightseeing.

Leaving Mallaig:

DSCN2682.jpg

Its not a long journey and there are some good views on a clear day.

DSCN2683.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

The Cal-Mac Ferry gets a fair move on too :thumb

DSCN2691.jpg

Finally arriving at Oonyakistan - where the Camping Weekend starts (see other threads for more pics).

DSCN2694.jpg

Good one Shep - thanks for letting me join in on the last leg, it was a grand day out.

Bob.

Great run by the looks of it, in great weather also, nice pics Bob :thumb

Great pics Bob and well done to Shep and his iron butt!!:clap

Thought bubble fae G.C....

"Hmmm...didnae know whit tae get Kathleen for oor Silver Weddin' but this wee tea towel looks nice and she's guid at the dishes..."

DSCN2649.jpg

Yer a' heart, Gordon :thumb2

Nice pics, Bob :clap

Looks Fantastic!! What an amazing place and no traffic!! I used to go to Loch lomand and there were some fantastic fast roads with nothing on them ,I'd love to make that trip!!:thumb2

Excellent photies. Hope to get another trip over soon!!:D

Was at Ardnamurchan point on Sunday. Not a soul there, or for miles around.

I enjoy my work, but looking at those pics, I just want to stand up and walk out. Maybe I could do this retirement thing. If the weather stays fine, that may be where I end up over Easter.

I enjoy my work, but looking at those pics, I just want to stand up and walk out. Maybe I could do this retirement thing. If the weather stays fine, that may be where I end up over Easter.

Go early or late. Last time I was in Ardnamurchan, i was near eaten alive by the midges.

Thanks for reviving the thread Shep.

I love it up there! Despite the near miss on the run up to the antler rally in 2006 or 7 where the wee lady coming out the peninsula decided straight across was fastest instead of moving left into the left lane where the road widened coming up to one of the infamous crests

Apparently Tim following said I had half a tyre still on the tarmac and the other half was in mid air over a very steep bank about 12 foot down

Awesome scenery and the bloke who ran the pub is gone now (thank Goodness)

Sadly the Antler is no more and the venue has moved open only to a Chosen Few hopefully my name will come out of the hat this year

Brill I just looked for my links on the Antler

But It was this one LINKY

Go early or late. Last time I was in Ardnamurchan, i was near eaten alive by the midges.

Thanks for reviving the thread Shep.
Yes I was there last April and the midges were not a problem. Though it was a bit wet for anything to fly at times.

Back
Top Bottom