Oonyackistani Odyssey

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Mandy and I left home on Thursday morning for the one hour run to Larne for the ferry to Cairnryan. On the way into Larne my 1150 turned over 50k miles, but as it was raining so heavily at the time I didn't take a pic until we arrived into the port. :eek:

IMG_2695.jpg

We met up with Flash & Trassa and Tuned in the harbour. We had a smooth 1 hour crossing and arrived in Scotland to a lovely dry afternoon. After crossing the Erskine Bridge we followed the A82 up as far a Loch Lomond where we turned off onto the Glen Fruin road dropping down into Arrochar for some tea.

The Village Inn in Arrochar is delightfully located, but was not very welcoming :( so we had some tea and moved on again.

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

Leaving Arrochar we set off in the direction of Oban and took the single track road along Loch Awe which led us onto the coast road up into Oban. Tuned, Flash & Trassa were staying in Oban so Mandy and I headed on to Connel.

After checking into our B&B we walked the 200yds to the Oyster Inn for a meal. I had the vennison with Stornoway black pudding which was absolutley fantastic. Highly recommended.

IMG_2715.jpg

Despite low cloud cover the sunset was beautiful.........

IMG_2714.jpg

........as was my company. :kissy2

oyster1.jpg

Dinner and a few amaretto's consumed we returned to our B&B. Mactalla Guest House is a friendly B&B in a beautiful setting. £25 per person is very reasonable in high season and is well worth a visit if you are in the area. Highly recommended.

A leisurely breakfast on Friday morning whilst taking in the glorious view from our B&B left us ready to head on for Oonyackistan.

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

On the Corran ferry we met some people on tour in their sports cars.

IMG_2727.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

My favourite though was this 1963 Austin Healey 300 MKII. The same age as me, but looking and going much better than I do. :eek:

IMG_2729.jpg

Although only a short sailing, it is very scenic and in no time at all we were back on the road.

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Our route took us via Strontian and when we reached the village of Ardshealach we stopped for a break so that Mandy could indulge her passion for old graveyards. This one is dedicated to the memory of those from the local area who fell in the two world wars.

IMG_2739.jpg

On by Glenuig

IMG_2742.jpg

IMG_2743.jpg

Past a wee church in the middle of nowhere.

IMG_2748.jpg

And on into Malaig, where the train is just making ready to leave.

IMG_2750.jpg

After an alfresco lunch........

IMG_2757.jpg

..........we went to catch the ferry to Skye. The terminal was quite busy when we arrived at 2-15pm and we were told that as we had not pre-booked we would not sail until 4-25pm. :mad:

We spent some more time in the town centre and upon our return to the terminal met up with GC, Shep and Voyager. Luckily there were no other bikes booked on the ferry, so we all got away on the 3pm sailing. :)

Safely stowed and ready to go.

IMG_2759.jpg

Leaving Mallaig.

IMG_2761.jpg

Stunning scenery from the ferry.

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

To be continued

County Down Man Speak with Forked Tongue!!!

That Can't be Loch Lomond!!! it's not raining!

And You two chancers they must be Ould Photy's Have Yous, been down austria way or sommat cos thats nearly continental in them thar photys

Mind You Mandy looks as Youthful, Vibrant and Innocent as Ever!!!

Her Halo Blindeth Me :aidan

The view from our B&B is unrivalled almost anywhere.

IMG_2776.jpg

And it wasn't long until our taxi rolled up to take us to the Stein.

IMG_2781.jpg

Where all the usual suspects were to be found.

Pog

IMG_2787.jpg

Shapeshifter

IMG_2784.jpg

Proff & Barbara

IMG_2791.jpg

Northern Jock

IMG_2796.jpg

Tuned

IMG_2769.jpg

And of course the inimitable James Burton

IMG_2790.jpg

Who was almost inconsolable until he was re-united with his man-bag. :rolleyes:

IMG_2793.jpg

Well, you wouldn't want a warm beer, would you?

IMG_2798.jpg

Midges? What's all the fuss about? Shep is a man of many hats.

IMG_2799.jpg

There was a special seat reserved for Bryn.

IMG_2806.jpg

"Did you stale wan o my chips ya bas? I'll gae you the malky if I see you at it again by the way."

IMG_2802.jpg

What with all the Scots and Irish about, Steptoe couldn't understand a bleedin word. Leeveitaht.

IMG_2804.jpg

And so to the kaylee.

Thanks Gary. :thumb2

Just as we were leaving the Stein to head up to the ceilidh Bullit arrived.

IMG_2809.jpg

Probably the biggest top-box I have ever seen. :eek:

IMG_2808.jpg

There was plenty of dodgy dancing

IMG_2851.jpg

IMG_2856.jpg

How do I work this thing? Where's the feckin manual? :eek:

garfield.jpg

It was all a bit much for some.............

IMG_2834.jpg

..............until they got their second wind.

IMG_2846.jpg

Ugg & Digga (well it looked like them) even put in an appearance. Nice.

IMG_2817.jpg

Rumour has it that the BHT is thinking of offering a cap in the new UKGSer merchandise catalogue.

IMG_2815.jpg

The Scots are a very friendly race don't you find? :ronno

IMG_2876.jpg

salute.jpg

The HSE representative was in sparkling form though

hse.jpg

"We're not pished. Oh no." :nono Yeah right. :rolleyes:

IMG_2828.jpg

Rob wished that Gary would ask him up for a dance.

wish.jpg

Trassa was happy enough that Flash didn't. :)

tt.jpg

All too soon some strange man said that's yer lot now bugger off home.

IMG_2875.jpg

So we did.

wish.jpg

I'll be sending the chap on the right a medical bill after he broke three bones in my hand while shaking it when I met him on Friday night.

Cheers Robmac :eek

Great stuff there, Aidan. :thumb2

Your camera only cost £50 less than Nikon want for repairing mine. Robbing bastards :(

I'll be sending the chap on the right a medical bill after he broke three bones in my hand while shaking it when I met him on Friday night.

Cheers Robmac :eek

Rab only knows the one Ninja move.

You would have taken him...:thumb

County Down Man Speak with Forked Tongue!!!

That Can't be Loch Lomond!!! it's not raining!

And You two chancers they must be Ould Photy's Have Yous, been down austria way or sommat cos thats nearly continental in them thar photys

Mind You Mandy looks as Youthful, Vibrant and Innocent as Ever!!!

Her Halo Blindeth Me :aidan

Sorry Jaythro, you got that one wrong. Aidan had Mandy with him and as we all know wherever Mandy goes the sunshine goes:aidan:aidan:aidan

Saturday was a bit of a wash-out weather wise so the run to Portree for a bit of shopping didn't happen. :bounce1:bounce1:clap:clap

Mandy made a new friend on Skye. Meet Yenta.

IMG_2886.jpg

All eleven and a half stone of her. :yikes :yikes

IMG_2887.jpg

The bling has already started to arrive at Castle Oonyack

IMG_2883.jpg

Unhand my wife you bounder or I'll set the dogs on you.

IMG_2901.jpg

At dinner on Saturday evening Shapshifter spurned Rushy's advances........

IMG_2896.jpg

...............he was more interested in groping Shep under the table. :eek:

IMG_2897.jpg

Flash sent us off to the cheesy disco with a tune in our ears and a spring in our step. :guitarist
IMG_2904.jpg

A <s>thorn</s> rose between two <s>roses</s> thorns. :eek:

IMG_2908.jpg

There were lots of lovely birds at the disco. Some of them very very young though. :mmmm

IMG_2909.jpg

It's quite easy to spot the signs of a mis-spent youth in that there Lahndaan innit. Poor lads, they still can't get away from it. :(

toss.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

And so ended the Skye Pairty. Tomorrow we must head for home. :tears

Grand report, in fact so good even I recognise the weekend and reckon I was there :beerjug:

Finally

And so for home. :(

Flash, Trassa, Mandy and I left Stein at 11am on Sunday for the run back to Troon and the 8-20pm ferry home.

Just time for a last few photos on Skye before refueling at Broadford and the run over the bridge and away.

IMG_2916.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg

IMG_2918.jpg

After a brisk run over the A87 to Invergarry we stopped at Spean Bridge Mill for some tea and some retail therapy for the girls.

Missing Oonyackistan already Flash considered applying for a residency visa. I think his application may just be successful. :rolleyes:

tonycap.jpg

On down through Glen Coe and a short stop at the Green Welly before the last leg to Troon.

IMG_2922.jpg

Before checking in at the ferry terminal we had our dinner at the Pavillion Café in Troon. The fish & chips were very very good and we would heartily recommend this café to anyone who find themselves in town. :thumb2

Not long after checking in Tuned arrived and we were all together again for the sailing home.

IMG_2928.jpg

What a weekend!! Thanks to Johnny & Tash for their hospitality and a truly memorable few days. Also to the fine bunch of folks who come along and make UKGSer events what they are. :clap:clap :bow:bow

The end.

Missing Oonyackistan already Flash considered applying for a residency visa. I think his application may just be successful. :rolleyes:

tonycap.jpg

What nationality do you reckon the guy in the background is? Might be a wee bit east of Scotland? A little bit east of France but west of too much further east? :augie

Back
Top Bottom