Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I've got a gel seat.

How many days?

I'm up for it, work depending- it's too far away for me to know yet:thumb2

Glad I've got a gel seat.

How many days?

I'm up for it, work depending- it's too far away for me to know yet:thumb2

It's just under 1400miles mate, like you said before, it sounds like a long way but really isn't!

The original idea was to do it over 4 days, but i'm thinking if you give some time to actually enjoy it, take pics, see things, and allow for hangovers!!! More like a week.

That sound reasonable:nenau

I'll get a rough idea over the next wee while how many people coming along, will need commitment by January at the latest I think cause I'll need to get sponsor forms out to everyone, and collecting sponsors might be slow after Christmas:eek:

It's just under 1400miles mate, like you said before, it sounds like a long way but really isn't!

The original idea was to do it over 4 days, but i'm thinking if you give some time to actually enjoy it, take pics, see things, and allow for hangovers!!! More like a week.

That sound reasonable:nenau

I'll get a rough idea over the next wee while how many people coming along, will need commitment by January at the latest I think cause I'll need to get sponsor forms out to everyone, and collecting sponsors might be slow after Christmas:eek:

Add me to the list subject to final confirmation by January:thumb

Charlie

Count me in.... PM sent
Looking forward to it :)

As Sethmopp says, there is a decent campsite on Thurso front. It's handy for the town centre, but hardly inspiring.

There's a decent campsite in John O'Groats and a few good B+B's there too. The local hotel is the Seaview, I've had some good nights in there and they're used to catering for bikers plus the locals are a friendly bunch.
They semi-host the 'Wildcat' rally once a year that runs in JOG.:beerjug:

It's worth pointing out that John O'Groats isn't the most northerly point, that honour falls to Dunnet Head (about 15 miles away), so to do it properly you need to detour up there. JOG is the furthest point by road from Lands' End.

Me missis runs the 'Last House in Scotland' Shop & Museum in JOG and I run the local taxi firm - (KPH Taxis 01955 631444)- so if you need any info or if any of you guys have problems with the bikes whilst in the area - give me a buzz and I'll make sure you get sorted out.

Keep me posted, I won't be able to take part due to work - but it would be nice to meet up for an hour or so.

K.

Nice one Klanky. Think we'll defo manage a wee rendezvous when we're up there, you can point us on the right road to the stacks.

Charlie

Nice one Klanky. Think we'll defo manage a wee rendezvous when we're up there, you can point us on the right road to the stacks.

Charlie

No problem.

As you come into JOG on the A99 from Wick and all points South, you'll drop down Warth Hill (stunning views of the Pentland Firth and Orkney) into the village. When you get to the Post Office/General Store/Petrol, you'll see a road on your right that says 'Duncansby Head' - it's the only road on the right so you can't miss it.

Go up here for about 1 1/2 miles to Duncansby lighthouse and park up in the carpark. Facing the lighthouse, walk to the right of it (if you walk to the left, wear your crash helmet as you are going to fall off the cliff) and follow the path along the cliff top.

It's about 15 minutes easy walk on the cliffs to the Stacks and well worth the effort.
The beginning of May sees the start of the breeding season for birds, so you should see Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Shitehawks and Sea Skuas on the cliffs. Plus grey seals around the Stacks if it's not blowing an easterly.
Keep yer eyes open for Minke whale and the odd Orca or dolphin out to sea.

Last edited:
The beginning of May sees the start of the breeding season for birds, so you should see Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Kittiwakes, Shitehawks and Sea Skuas on the cliffs. Plus grey seals around the Stacks if it's not blowing an easterly.
Keep yer eyes open for Minke whale and the odd Orca or dolphin out to sea.

Never seen Shitehawks.....are they not as good as other hawks :D:D:D

Looking forward to it already:thumb2

I emailed off some tourist woman at the cape who unfortunately thinks that there are military exercises on at that time of year. She is going to find out for definate and get back to me so I will keep you all informed.

Charlie

Yup, getting to Cape Wrath can be hit or miss. The whole area is owned by the MOD and is the only place in Europe where they have the space to drop live 1000lb bombs:eek:

If you can get access, you can't get your bike across anyway. The only way is to take the ferry (read Orkney 18ft glassfibre fishing boat) and then there is a minibus on the opposite side that will take you to the point and lighthouse. The old boy that does the minibus is a good laugh and drives like something possessed.

It's well worth the effort if you have time.

http://www.capewrath.org.uk/Introduction.htm

Sounding better all the time....... (Except for the live bomb & the shitehawk, or are they related) :)

Im in

Would love to join you all, ive got a half term in may and no flexibility. Any dates confrimed as Yet?
R

Put me down as a potential (Subject to kids half term holidays)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom