Scotland 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading North

Thanks for the dates mate, im off in the weeks before that and back to work on the 21st it seems. I will watch with anticipation and may get a lap in before you go. cheers Rowan

Rowan, I'm from your neck of the woods if you want to join forces on this or other trips.....:D

Hey Dave,

I really wanted numbers before committing to accommodation, however, I should have our stop overs (where we will stop at the end of each day) confirmed today and by the end of the month, when I gather the final numbers, we can toss about between us the preferred accommodation.

C

Anyone else from Ireland?

I've just got a week pass for this!! :eek:onyack

Anybody else heading over from Ireland via Belfast?

More Details

Here they are....some long awaited details to wet your appetites! Wully and I had a closer look at the route today and tweeked it a little, nothing too drastic just a wee road or two which I will try to clarify later.

Day 1 Saturday 25th April 2009

This will be one of the longer days for some depending on where you are coming from. The route will start from the Green Welly shop at Tyndrum and we will head off towards Cairngaan which will be our first compass point (we can arrange rendezvous when I get a final number of people and see where everyone is coming from). However, we don't stop long at Cairngaan, we will push on to the Castle Douglas area where we will spend our first night. Accommodation yet to be agreed and is next on my list.
From Tyndrum to Castle Douglas - 226 miles

Day 2 Sunday 26th April 2009

From Castle Douglas (or wherever we decide to stay the night in that area) we head off towards our second compass point. We head up towards Edinburgh by-pass, stopping on-route at Roslin for a break (good opportunity to check out the chapel I thought). We will reach the end of our day at around St Andrews on the East coast and this is where we will spend our second night.
Castle Douglas to St Andrews - 186 miles.

Day 3 Monday 27th April 2009

St Andrews up to Peterhead (Keith Inch) brings us to our furthest most Eastern point we head along the coast from here to Inverness where we will spend our third night and most likely celebrate before we head North and into the Highlands.
St Andrews to Inverness - 235 miles

Day 4 Tuesday 28th April 2009

Like I said...North we go into the Highlands and on up to Dunnet Head to check out the stacks and reach our third compass point. Then its off to Durness where we will spend our fourth night.

Inverness to Durness - 215 miles

Day5 Wednesday 29th April 2009

Bit of a change here, I would very much like to reach the furthest North West regions of Scotland which means visiting Cape Wrath, I am awaiting confirmation that all military activity will have ceased by the time we get there. I'm told the only way across is by passenger ferry which links us to a mini-bus that takes us along the 12 mile path to the lighthouse at the outermost region of Cape Wrath, however, I am currently seeking a way in which we can get our bikes across and travel the 12 miles by bike (depending on the bike of course), the mini-bus will of course be available for those who don't have a suitable bike or for those who would just rather take the bus! If anyone has any contacts up there with a boat that could accommodate some bikes the help would be appreciated.
Anyway, I have allowed till midday before we leave Durness. Those who don't fancy Cape Wrath can continue on to our next destination which is Applecross.
Durness to Applecross - 212 miles (long day)

Day 6 30th April 2009

Down the famous Applecross road we go where we head off to the Kyle of Lochalsh and the Skye Bridge.
This shouldn't take us long as it isn't too far so we should have a good half a day to explore Skye.
Applecross to Skye - 75 miles (plus exploration of Skye)

Day 7 1st May 2009

From Skye we take the ferry to Mallaig and head off towards the Ardnamurchan point and our final compass point. I thought about taking us across to The Isle of Mull from here via the Kilhoan ferry then down to Craignure and across on the ferry to Oban, but I think the 2 ferry fares would not be pretty so i've opted to head back to the corran ferry, up to Fort William, through Glen Coe (spectacular scenery for the end of the trip and apt I think) and back to the Green Welly shop at Tyndrum for tea and scones.
Mallaig to Tyndrum - 130 miles approx

Well thats roughly it, you now know the route and the stop overs, I appologise for the spelling mistakes:D:D:D and if i've missed anything out but it is past midnight and so i'm hurrying a bit (kids to get to school in the morning!)

I've just got a week pass for this!! :eek:onyack

Anybody else heading over from Ireland via Belfast?

Wookie

Heading over from Cavan.... should be a good week :beerjug:
Planning on the first ferry from Belfast on the 25th, and meeting the guys on thier way past Stranraer.:aidan (that the idea anyway)

You wont get the Bikes across...the 'ferry' is a wee boat with an outboard

Attachments

• Cape Wrath Ferry.gif
    Cape Wrath Ferry.gif
    30 KB · Views: 291
Like Chas said, we're workin' on it:cool:

Fair enough,.... just the last time I went over I posed the question about getting private vehicles over and I was told that the MOD wouldn't wear it for various H&S reasons.....

Best of Luck...:thumb

So...

I guess that means the route would look a little like this:
ScottishCompassRose01.jpg

I suspect the Durness leg may go via Tongue not quite as shown but It is too late in the evening now to modify it and post it.
I am least sure about the route you want to do from Ullapool down to Applecross. Gareloch or inland or don't know? (yet)

The main thing about a plan for a holiday is having one so you know when you are ignoring it.
:D:nenau
Believe me I am an expert at that
:blast:thumb

TP

You missed out Dunnet Head ...;)

Ha Ha...Coolcarbon is getting a bit critical (considering he's no got his name doon!!!:rob) but alas he's correct!

Good effort Tractorpilot, there has been a couple of suggestions for route changes which i've taken on board right enough!

If you head from Dundee up the coast a bit to Arbroath instead of up the A90 its supposed to be a nice run with not so many speed cameras so add that in, go on to the A937 at Hillside and follow the road right into Aberdeen (we're going to pick up a packed lunch here and get fuel) then we are off up the coast a bit to Curden Bay where we will dine at Slain's Castle which is a spectacular 16th century castle said to be the inspiration for Bram Stokers Count Dracula.) then up to Peterhead.

Also, we're going to head straight up the A9 to Latheron where we continue up the coast on the A99 to John O Groats and then along to Dunnet Head where those who want to can take the 15 minute hike up to the stacks. Then along to Durness via Tongue.

Put that in TP and you've cracked it! Are you using mapsource by the way??

Coolcarbon......get yer name doon mate:thumb

I am least sure about the route you want to do from Ullapool down to Applecross. Gareloch or inland or don't know? (yet)

Actually TP, you are a little out here as well, check out the posting I put up on the second page of this thread named The Route for more details on travelling this part of the journey.

I would talk you through it but not got the time right now and still need to gather some info on whether or not Cape Wrath is a goer before I can confirm that bit of the route yet. More info hopefully later today!

Like you pointed out, a plan is good, and i've got to be honest i am really looking forward to this trip and the route that has developed, but nothing is written in stone and we may discover some interesting detours on the way.:thumb

Not critical, just pointers from my experiences that I thought may help......I'll keep my mouth shut, sorry...:(

Not critical, just pointers from my experiences that I thought may help having covered thousands of miles and seen most of our fantastic country....I'll keep my mouth shut, sorry...:(

Don't take the huff mate:comfort All constructive criticism is welcome, particularly from a veteran of these roads! :thumb2

TDN, just a quick point. The Stacks are at Duncansby Head (John O'Groats) - not Dunnet Head.:thumb2

Regarding speed cameras, there aren't any fixed ones in Caithness or Sutherland - but we do get mobile units.

A favourite spot is north of Thrumster on the A99 heading for Wick. There is an S-bend about half a mile north of Thrumster which opens out onto a very long straight as you approach Wick....Don't nail it here. There is a layby on the left-hand side that is partially hidden by a rise in the road. That's where the mobile camera normally sits. They catch loads of people there...laughably, most of them are locals who know it's there........:augie

We're going to the Cape

Here is the link for Durness and Cape Wrath again:

http://www.durness.org/Index.htm

As pointed out by Coolcarbon:thumb getting the opportunity to ride this particular penintula is rare! However, fortunately i've managed to acquire a contact who both has a barge big and substantial enough to get our bikes over the loch...and who's wife is in the MOD up there!:clap

So, we have what I feel is a golden opportunity to ride our bikes to one of....if not the most remote regions in mainland Scotland! The barge is big enough to accommodate us all and the 11 mile road at the other side is tarmac (potholed though). I am told that all and any kind of bike will be able to travel up safely!

I will need numbers although because it will cost a penny or two to hire the barge. There is a mini-bus available at the other end which can be hired to take up those who don't want to ride:eek:

So anyone who defo wants to do the Cape Wrath leg of the route then I need to know numbers and if you want to ride or mini-bus it!

If there are enough of us, which i'm confident there will be:D This may throw a different slant on the rest of the days ride as we will have to consider tides and the barge availability, but i'll cross that bridge when I get more info....or should I say i'll take that barge:augie

Anyway, i've asked if there is any MOD activity on the 29th of April and fortunately at the moment there isn't! This could change, but I will be told if it does (just cross your fingers).
The road is a council road and we don't have to travel across any estate grounds to get to the barge. In other words....its all good:clap:clap:clap:clap:hogroast

Can you tell i'm excited??? Can you???:hapybnce:

Good comments

Glad to see my artists impression of the route got a little comment :)

I will do a revised one a bit closer to the time taking on board comments and developments.

I for one would love to do the ferry and road to Cape Wrath on the bike.

Enough for now as at work

TP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom