WW2 Fermanagh Flying Boats Rideout

Will you be coming for the whole weekend Keith or just for the Saturday?

As the numbers on this run are very limited I would like to keep them open to folks who are attending the whole weekend, but I will start a reserve list for those coming up for just the Saturday who would like to go.

I will just be down for the Saturday Aidan-if i can't get on this run i hope to join you on the road run

Anyone accompanying me on this rideout might be interested to watch a programme on BBC NI on Monday 2nd March at 21.00 called 'Tailwind' which is a documentary about military aviation in N Ireland during WW2 and features interviews with RAF personnel who served here. Might be useful for a little background on the run-out as I believe Fermanagh and the Donegal Corridor features in the prog :thumb

More here

BBC Northen Ireland is on Sky Digital channel 973 for those of you not fortunate enough to live here :D

Folks, I am not sure I will be attending the Kesh trip on my bike. 3 weeks before it, I am having my right wrist operated on for Carpal tunnel syndrome... I know three others who had it done, one was incapacitated for 3 weeks, one for three months and the other for five months :eek:

This wee rideout was something I was definately looking forward to, but I dont know if I will be able to ride my bike in that timeframe.

I will still be at Kesh, either on the bike or in the car. I am thinking it might be a bit much too try to tag along in a tin box....... suggestions welcome Arthur.

Anyone accompanying me on this rideout might be interested to watch a programme on BBC NI on Monday 2nd March at 21.00 called 'Tailwind' which is a documentary about military aviation in N Ireland during WW2 and features interviews with RAF personnel who served here. Might be useful for a little background on the run-out as I believe Fermanagh and the Donegal Corridor features in the prog :thumb

More here

BBC Northen Ireland is on Sky Digital channel 973 for those of you not fortunate enough to live here :D

starting now :thumb2

:aidan

If there's any chance I'd love to come along.

Depending on numbers of course:thumb2

More here

Just watched the BBC programme... very interesting. We owe a great debt to those guys.
Glad you posted it here shuck raider, otherwise I would have missed it.

Folks, I am not sure I will be attending the Kesh trip on my bike. 3 weeks before it, I am having my right wrist operated on for Carpal tunnel syndrome... I know three others who had it done, one was incapacitated for 3 weeks, one for three months and the other for five months :eek:

This wee rideout was something I was definately looking forward to, but I dont know if I will be able to ride my bike in that timeframe.

I will still be at Kesh, either on the bike or in the car. I am thinking it might be a bit much too try to tag along in a tin box....... suggestions welcome Arthur.

After all that, I haven't seen the prog yet, baby-sitting duties :D recorded it tho' watch it tomorrow.

Stevie, dunno about the tin box yet, still to do the final recce on the run and ISTR that there were some mucky lanes involved. Possibly modify this, will keep you informed :thumb

So far, for this rideout we have;

Betty Swollocks
Jaws100
TrevMcDev
Bin Ridin
Chris Kelley
Toad

And on the reserve list;

Keith McClintock
Drifter

Right, boys and girls, I've done the final recce for this, mainly because I hadn't been to some of the sites in ages. Modified it a wee bit in light of the recce. I'm gonna drop Duross Point because the lane up to it probably isn't do-able on road tyres or with a pillion. Otherwise it's more or less as advertised. The track down from Magho is 'interesting' in places but again do-able with care.

The run will be about 6 hours and covers about 80 miles with plenty of stops for pics and lots of aviation anorak stories from me. No lunch stop identified as yet, open to suggestions if anyone knows of a good pub or cafe in Enniskillen for soup and a roll.

I've attached 2 MapSource docs, one with waypoints and one with the route. More details at the briefing on Saturday morning. If anyone wants more background info before the event eg relevant websites etc, feel free to PM me :thumb

Attachments

• Flying Boat Run - Route.gdb
    50.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Flying Boat Run - Waypoints.gdb
    1.1 KB · Views: 133

Back
Top Bottom