France May 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is wondering about riding in France (or abraod) and wants a trial run I have a proposal.

I will run a short run, over to France and back in one day. It will mean an early departure on the train, so might well suit anyone in the SE corner of England, or take a B&B.

It will bring in some decent enough roads and give you a feel for what goes on.

Basic plan: Train over. Ride around, taking in a coffee stop inland and lunch back on the coast. I did something similar a while ago and it was fine. Back on an early early evening train. It will be a shotened version of this:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142411

My only wonder is over a possible date. I guess it will have to be in early to mid April. Let me know if this suits anyone and I will see what I can do to fix it up.

Yes please! - a European jaunt shakedown seems good. Might be able to persuade the brother-in-law if he can get a pass. :D

Hi Richard, Pencil me in for both the 1day and 4 day jaunt.Sounds great.Looks like you could end up being my part time tour guide.Essex, Suffolk etc last Saturday,Europe in the new year!!!!!!!!!!
Regards kevin

Yes please! - a European jaunt shakedown seems good. Might be able to persuade the brother-in-law if he can get a pass. :D

Hi Richard, Pencil me in for both the 1day and 4 day jaunt.Sounds great.Looks like you could end up being my part time tour guide.Essex, Suffolk etc last Saturday,Europe in the new year!!!!!!!!!!
Regards kevin

edit:

Excellent...two takers at least for the day out. I'll do it, then.

I see from the copy thread that I went on the last one in mid April, which matches in with what I thought. April 11th is Easter (I shall probably be away), 18th I don't think I can do, let's say Saturday 25th April, providing it's not snowing.

Bring bro-in-law along, he can buy us all a coffee....:beerjug:

Tickets are just £26 return if we book them now. A bargain. I'm going to have a look at the times tomorrow and will let you know.

Tickets are just £26 return if we book them now. A bargain. I'm going to have a look at the times tomorrow and will let you know.

One day trot.

Had a look already.

Train out: 08:20

Train back: 18:20

For £26 looks like good value.

A DAY OUT IN FRANCE

It certainly is although the web site keeps crashing on me. Same price for an overnight stay as well .....

A DAY OUT IN FRANCE

It kept crashing for me, too. I made the booking by phone in the end.

Return ticket for the 25th April.

Out on the 08:20

Back on the 18:20

£26 return.

The ticket seems to be valid for 24 hours (but do check) so if anyone wants to stay over for the same price ticket that looks to be a goer, too. I am more than happy to make it two days, returning Sunday if anyone wants to do that. I know there are a couple of nice hotels we could use.

If anyone wants to stay over but others want to come back on the same day it will still work out. I will take everyone back to Calais, drop off those that want to go back and then go a little way back inland with the others. On the Sunday we could go down to look at a WW1 war site or at the La Coupol (I'm sure I have spelt that wrong) V1/V2 launch sites. Let me know what you fancy doing, please.

Richard

PS I will now work out some definite dates for the May four day jaunt and let everyone know.

Well done - great idea. I am very interested if the numbers work out. All hinges around the exact date - thats for the day out and the tour. 25th looks fine at the moment :beerjug:

Last edited:
... On the Sunday we could go down to look at a WW1 war site or at the La Coupol ... V1/V2 launch sites. Let me know what you fancy doing...
La Coupole is well worth a visit, but allow yourself at least 3 hours to do it justice. Linky HERE. Fascinating place - ironically not 1 rocket was fired from there, as I think the war finished before it was fully operational.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom