Recommend me a compressor

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For general garage use. If there's one around that will boost to 12bar without going to silly money that would be good.

Any thoughts?

B&Q a few weeks back where doing a 50L compressor at a brilliant price but it only went to 8bar if you really need 12bar your going to spend big bucks it's that simple just have a look at the machine mart and the difference between 8 and 10bar it quite surprising.

for 12bar at a price that'll not cause you to cough up yir skull I'd have a look at Ebay.

out of curiousity why 12bar ? you'll find 8bar is more than suffcient for 99% of work to be done, what's more use is capacity if you've got the space go for 50L, I have 25L 8bar bought from Machine mart and it covers everything I need it to do, including use of a framing gun but it runs out of puff if your have a heavy trigger finger.

HTH

out of curiousity why 12bar ? you'll find 8bar is more than suffcient for 99% of work to be done, what's more use is capacity if you've got the space go for 50L, I have 25L 8bar bought from Machine mart and it covers everything I need it to do, including use of a framing gun but it runs out of puff if your have a heavy trigger finger.

thanks - the 12bar requirement isn't for the general garage stuff - I dive (scuba) with a mixed gas rebreather, and I need to scavenge as much as I can from the pricey j-bottles of helium and oxygen. I've got a gas booster which will boost from low bar in the j bottle to 200 bar in my 2l scuba tank, it needs low pressure gas stream to drive it and if I can get a 12 bar feed I can scavenge more gas. But, as you've said, the 12 bar are really dear, so I might put that on the back burner for now as I do need a garage compressor.

For general garage use. If there's one around that will boost to 12bar without going to silly money that would be good.

Any thoughts?

The FAD is the important figure, Free Air displacement,and not always quoted.
Depends which tools you are going to be using. Min 50l tank I'd say.

I got one of these from Wolf online, http://www.wolf-online.co.uk/product.asp?id=001725
Cheapest I could find that had a 50Ltr tank & 9.5 CFM displacement. Wont go to 12 bar tho, but the high CFM means I can drive pretty much any air accessory including grit blast cabinet, which tend to need a high CFM.
I use it pretty much every day. It was worth the money just for the air blow gun.

Regards
Paul

Right, ordered a 50l Makita AC1350 - £149 on fleabay. Need some tools now, an airgun and tyre inflator to start. Any recommendations for these, or other bits I might need like couplings or hoses?

Ta:thumb

Back
Top Bottom