Do NOT test ride a GS

I made the mistake of being talked into a test ride by my local dealer....and at the end of the ride, I did a deal and rode home on my new 1150GS!

The standard GS goes onto reserve around 150 miles, which is time for a stretch anyway... unless you're off somewhere where fuel is scarce there's no point in carrying that much extra weight and height ;)

There's every reason - filling up is a time consuming pita. If I can do it every 300 miles instead of every 180 then it's all good. :cool:

buying a gs

Hi to all members Smicker here new to the forum.I am thinking of buying a gs but not new unfortunately. I know this maybe a how long is a piece of string question,but i am trying to get an idea of what the going rate is for say 08-09 good condition, average milage,and average spec?
Any advice would be helpful,
Cheers.:)

When I went shopping there is no such thing as "average spec" and prices vary wildly.

Look at bike trader and E-Bay to get a feel for prices, it will help greatly if you get yourself familiar with the variosu packs and otpional extra's - pop into your local dealer and grab a brochure / price list.

You can easily add £3k to one of these bikes in extra's and options so used prices will vary dramatically, once you know what the minimum spec you fancy the job will be a lot easier.

Even the young ones enjoy the GS experience.

Charlie is nearly as enthusiastic about our Adventure as I am, this was taken just after a brilliant bacon roll at Clay Cross motorcycles during a days riding to aclimatise him tosome milesin readiness for our Somme trip in June.

Attachments

• Charlie at Clay cross 2a.jpg
    Charlie at Clay cross 2a.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 759
Charlie is nearly as enthusiastic about our Adventure as I am, this was taken just after a brilliant bacon roll at Clay Cross motorcycles during a days riding to aclimatise him tosome milesin readiness for our Somme trip in June.

If you have time pop down to Verdun, there are a couple of WW1 forts you can wander around :thumb2

Took your advice

Just traded in my F800GS for a new 1200 Adventure, hopefully pick it up next Saturday.

I had been considering the Super Tenere, KTM Adventurte, Ducati and Guzzi, but knew realistically that only one bike was really an option.

The 800 is a fantastic bike, but I knew it would be a stop-gap to the real thing (I only took the 800 in for a service ... oops!).

So role on Saturday ... (and Sunday, Monday, Tuesday ... and our summer holiday in the Alps/Italian Lakes).

I've got me a GS

:thumb2:thumb2Last Tuesday I went from Rhyl to Peterbrough to have a look at a GS, a few hours later after having bought it I rode it back, so i had plenty of time to decide whether I liked it or not. I know what you guys are on about now, I haven't stopped smiling since :) It's a fantastic bit of kit and I keep finding myself going into the garage to have a look at it, even after I have been out on it all day!
I'm hooked man. :thumb2

New GSA 30 Yr

Hi, Just joined, first post.
In 2009 I got drunk at a funeral and was challenged to ride a bike from my home town of Methil to Spain. I had never ridden a bike for 21 years. I obviously accepted and bought a GS1200 on eBay, whilst still ratted :friday

The next day I realised what I had done and to top it all the bike was in Brighton! To cut a long story short I got the overnight train down and rode it the 550 miles home. I was kacking it for the first 100 miles or so. I made the trip and ended up in Casablanca looking for camels:blast
I sold the bike on my return and managed to resist getting another until 4 weeks ago. I gave in and bought a new R1200GSA 30 Yr model, the dealer in Guilford told me it was the last new one in the country.

I have no experience of any other bike, but I absolutely love it. I have covered 2500 miles in less than a month, including circumnavigating Ireland which was a blast:aidan.

The bike fell over in Belfast as it was loaded with too much drink in the top box:blast and BLEW over last week in 100MPH winds whilst parked on side stand. Everyone thinks I am nuts for buying such a tall bike (I am 5'9" with 29" legs) But after riding my friends bikes Pan,Versys,FJR I am delighted to be a Tosser.

I think the OP is right, if you think too much you won't do it. Lifes not a test drive.

JimmyMac

Hi, Just joined, first post.
In 2009 I got drunk at a funeral and was challenged to ride a bike from my home town of Methil to Spain. I had never ridden a bike for 21 years. I obviously accepted and bought a GS1200 on eBay, whilst still ratted :friday

The next day I realised what I had done and to top it all the bike was in Brighton! To cut a long story short I got the overnight train down and rode it the 550 miles home. I was kacking it for the first 100 miles or so. I made the trip and ended up in Casablanca looking for camels:blast
I sold the bike on my return and managed to resist getting another until 4 weeks ago. I gave in and bought a new R1200GSA 30 Yr model, the dealer in Guilford told me it was the last new one in the country.

I have no experience of any other bike, but I absolutely love it. I have covered 2500 miles in less than a month, including circumnavigating Ireland which was a blast:aidan.

The bike fell over in Belfast as it was loaded with too much drink in the top box:blast and BLEW over last week in 100MPH winds whilst parked on side stand. Everyone thinks I am nuts for buying such a tall bike (I am 5'9" with 29" legs) But after riding my friends bikes Pan,Versys,FJR I am delighted to be a Tosser.

I think the OP is right, if you think too much you won't do it. Lifes not a test drive.

JimmyMac

nice positive first post , welcome aboard Tosser:D:beerjug:

Oh dear, I've joined this forum too late, I'd already taken the dreaded test ride! Oh, even worse, I didn't want to but my wife insisted.

Since being born again 5 years ago I've owned 2 Triumph Daytona's, a Speed Triple 1050 and a K1200S.

Then the test ride, bike sounds flat and farty, really buzzes with vibration and won't go straight to light speed.
Half an our later I was still grinning like a masturbating chimpanzee and I'd signed on the dotted line!

Oh what fun to ride, simply, totally enjoyable.

Wow...

There's a lot of us on here..... I had always wanted a bike since I was teenager, but my parents threatened me with "If you buy a motorbike, I will break both your legs before the bike does". So being terrified of my father ( what girl wouldn't) I just went with public transport for years, and never thought of it again....

....Until I turned 27, and was fed up of having to sit on a bus, and get lifts off friends. A few guys at work drove bikes, and I had just finished reading the long way down and noticed that Ewan's wife was driving an F650GS. I thouhgt "Well if she can drive one why can't I ?!? "

So I went about looking for a bike with the help of my sister's husband. Skip ahead a good few weeks.... and an 04 f650gs Dakar is being delivered to my house at 7.30am from England, after being bought online. At this point I had only just aquired my provisional, didn't have a single lesson under my belt, and hadn't even turned the ignition in a car let a lone on a bike.

Up until then I had only sat on a lowered f650GS, and on a Kawasaki versys (couldn't even lift the versys off the side stand with it being top heavy) at a dealership in Dublin. Being 5' 10.5" I thought I might not be as comfortable on f650gs (was nearly able to flat foot the bike in the dealership while on it's centre stand), but was happy with the weight so decided on getting a Dakar.

I think my jaw hit the floor when I first saw the bike. Even though I had done all my research, nothing compares to seeing it in person. I have to admit my first thought was "OH S**T .... I think I'm in over my head" :eek::eek::eek: The bike looked massive, and being 9.5 stone I kept thinking that's gonna hurt if I drop it on me.

Well after three full days of lessons (2days on a 125 eliminator, 1day on my bike, which ended in a very close call, but that's another story :jibber. )
I was out on the open road.

1Year on, no regrets and now a full licence. Wouldn't trade my Dakar for anything. Brilliant for commuting, and a bit of fun.:D:D

The funniest thing is though, when I pull up by a group of guys out on their bank holiday spin, and they have to do a double take for two reasons. First cause I'm a girl and second because of the size of the bike I'm driving. But I always get a thumbs up approval :thumb and a smile :D

Creeping doubts about a F650GS

I ride about 5000miles/yr on a totally reliable 06 Honda Transalp. Never let me down. The original chain benefits from a Scottoiler and after 20,000mls is barely worn. It never stalls or cuts out unexpectedly and the Ignition key always functions. No hoses leak and the petrol tank is totally intact. Does about 58mpg overall.
It is however such a weight that when dropped, which does happen even on easy green lanes, my back goes into spasm for weeks. The wheels being spoked must be removed to repair the tubes.
Despite my loyalty I have been tempted to a test ride on the F650GS twin.
It will be lighter, more economic and the ride will be different, although I will probably miss the old V twin.
However after perusing the UKGSer site I am starting to have doubts about reliability and recalls.
Is it practical to self service the bike after it has done a few miles , as I do with the Tranny, it does appear that BMW dealers are spawn of the devil.
Any comments welcome.

I ride about 5000miles/yr on a totally reliable 06 Honda Transalp. Never let me down. The original chain benefits from a Scottoiler and after 20,000mls is barely worn. It never stalls or cuts out unexpectedly and the Ignition key always functions. No hoses leak and the petrol tank is totally intact. Does about 58mpg overall.
It is however such a weight that when dropped, which does happen even on easy green lanes, my back goes into spasm for weeks. The wheels being spoked must be removed to repair the tubes.
Despite my loyalty I have been tempted to a test ride on the F650GS twin.
It will be lighter, more economic and the ride will be different, although I will probably miss the old V twin.
However after perusing the UKGSer site I am starting to have doubts about reliability and recalls.
Is it practical to self service the bike after it has done a few miles , as I do with the Tranny, it does appear that BMW dealers are spawn of the devil.
Any comments welcome.

Have a look at a G650X/Country,great on the road great on green lanes,just make sure you get the black 2007 model.

Steve

Yup, that's right, if you have never ridden a GS before, whatever happens, do NOT test ride a GS.

Now I know that this advice goes totally contrary to what fellow Tossers advise and, for that matter, goes against common sense as well. I mean what sort of blithering idiot buys a bloody expensive bit of kit like a GS without first reassuring themselves that they like and enjoy the experience.

Well this blithering idiot for one. Here is why.

I have ridden motorbikes for over 30 years, each one getting faster, lairier and more manic than the last...........actually, the last was a 2008 GTX1300Hayabusa..........more manic than that wee beastie is hard to find, I am sure you all agree.

But creeping senility, arthritis and general can't-be-fagged to scream around the national road system made me consider changing. :rob

Now like everyone, I saw and enjoyed Euan and Charlie's escapades and it got me a thinkin' and a wonderin'.

So I sloped off to have a look around a new GSA at the dealership and liked what I saw. I also have to admit to being well suited to the GSA in particular because I am 6ft 3in and have a 34in inside leg. But there is no question that anyone can ride a GS if not the GSA, even if your femur is on the stunted side. :augie

Of course the dealer offered me a test ride and I turned it down. You see I knew that I was not going to enjoy the experience comong from the sports bike world. The two worlds are just totally different, so much so that you have to use other criteria when judging whether or not to buy.

There was no way that I could appreciate the subtleties the GS experience without days of hands-on riding, and there was no way that was on offer from the dealer.

So it became an intellectual excercise and the choice was made.

And I am just so delighted that I took my own advice because when I picked up the GSA and rode it the 40 miles back home, I just disliked it and the whole experience left me cold. How could I compare this strange sit-up-and-beg riding experience and the asthmatic engine with the Hayabuse and still say that I had made the right choice.

Well one month later and I am besotted with the bloody thing. I consistently ride on routes that used to take me longer on the Suzuki and I am relaxed, comfortable and HAVING FUN. I don't need to dress like a power-ranger and nobody cares if I just bimble along enjoying the MP3 tunes being piped to my helmet.

Yup, as I said, whatever you do, DON'T TEST RIDE A GS. Just go for it.......you will never regret it for one minute and will revel in its versatility and sheer fun. :JB
have gone from a 650 to an 800 gs and now a1200 gs without a test ride dont quite know how it happened 3 times but loved all 3 bikes am now in lust with my 1200

Well I came to the same conclusion as the origonal poster, just bought a 2011 GSA, my first bike for about 6 years, after just sitting on 1 in the showroom.
Collecting it on saturday, just hope it's a bit warmer. :JB

Great post but I disagree, I rode a 170bhp K6 gixxer thou to the BM showroom at warp speed, jumped on the 1200GS expecting to just amble about the countryside and cringe at the weight and handling. It was a sunny autumn day and I ended up wringing its neck, I rode it like a sports bike and realised that it would carry out that duty brilliantly! never stopped grinning since, what a fantastic package. Looks like you are fooked either way, you end up buying one whether you like it or not :D

Good advise I hope............ I've got to admit after reading your post the other week you inspired me to take the plunge on a GS without a test ride!!

I am 33 and owned sevral bikes from honda hornets to R1 with a bit of local club racing on an old steelie.... I currently have a KTM superduke which is absolutley mental fun, it give you a massive grin from ear to ear everytime you mount it. Pitty the fun only lasts 70-80 miles before the fuel light comes on and you have to look for a garage, gets a bit tedious after a while!!

I've wanted a GS for a while but never took the plunge, I went to Germany with the lads on a biking holiday a few years ago on my R1 and I was cramped to say the least, two guys were on GS's and they lead from the front all the way.....after that I was getting one, just be a matter of when and where.:D

SO.......

On tuesday while my wife was down south visiting friends I took myself off to Allen Jefferies BMW near Bradford and put a deposit down a 2010 Alpine white R1200GS:beerjug: with a topbox chucked in to sweeten the deal:thumb because of the KTM's excellent punchy engine (that sounds awesome) I decided NOT to take the big GS out for a test ride!! After reading threads on this site Im sure I've made the right decision (too late now).

I pick it up in a few weeks:beer: (Cant wait) and I'll let you know how I get on with it............I'm sure I'll love it:D

Back
Top Bottom