Do NOT test ride a GS

Hi guys, moving swiftly on from the troll and without any knowledge of how this thread has otherwise evolved between the original (excellent, very old, sticky) post and now, I'd just like to say that I agree with the OP! 😊 First proper post BTW, so please be gentle!

Bought my first GS in 2005 having test ridden 2 of the blighters... 1 at (then) SPC in Hampshire....but didn't like the bike or the staff. Then after a nagging doubt about whether I REALLY didn't like the bike or whether I just IMAGINED I didn't like it, I took another test at (then) SLM in Caterham a few weeks later. This time I was hooked and bought a nearly new GS from them on the spot.

Morals of the story?
1) Don't bother test riding a GS. Per the OP, you'll not like it, discover you were wrong and then buy the bugger anyway. Just cut to the chase and buy It. You'll be so glad you did.

2) If you're a dealer, don't let me test ride one of your bikes else you'll likely go bust.

Incidentally, I've heeded my own words because I collected my gorgeous, addictive and utterly brilliant 2017 1200 Rallye Sport last Saturday without ever having ridden that model...or the bike I bought... and having not owned a GS since 2007(8?) and since gone through several KTMs and an RT. Lunacy?? Well, sure enough, after the first few miles I wondered WTF I'd done. After the RT, it felt noisy, rattly and oddly agricultural....which was weird considering the generation gap between the two (2013 90th edition RT). Then before too long everything made sense. The engine felt smooth and powerful, the suspension refined and the controls sharp and responsive. After 4 days I'm rehooked and it feels great!!!

Never buy a GS on the experience of a test ride? I can understand that. I never rode one until I bought mine on the accumulated advice of my research and the personal advice of a friend. Lived up to all things, even as I rode it for the first time thinking what have I done? One of the best bikes I have ever ridden or owned, but not for everyone. No one is forcing anyone...:beerjug:

Many moons ago put a deposit down (and subsequently purchased) a 1200RT without even having seen so much as a photograph of it.

I concur with op, after several yrs without a bike & feelimg the need for one the GSA has always been on my list. Never ridden one let alone sat on one I duly travelled up north well past the Watford gap and returned home with her in the back of a van. My first half hr or so on her and I was thinking Oh Scheisse what have I gone and done 😲 I didnt enjoy it one bit! Then it all seemed to click and make sense 😁 thank f@#k for that, really enjoying her but need to rack a good few miles under my belt.

Sounds like you need some refresher training ..... :D

Soon Giles, hopefully got a week off at the end of Sept, Def can't do sat 28th am going on the rolling thunder ride for soldier F

Similar story, bought a 1997 1100 RT 1 owner fsh etc no test ride took the owners word, had it for 2 years and managed to get used to it's erm quirks!, needed a lot of monies spent so replaced 3 years ago with an 07 GS and have loved it ever since, going in next week for service at main dealer and they are desperate to give me their 1250GS as a courtesy bike. Please if anyone knows anybody at BMW Guildford, ask them not to give the 1250GS as I have had a look at it in the show room and I think it is a thing of beauty. I am happy with my 07 GS and we all know where this will end......

Didn't Test Ride my New Purchase

Hi All,
Newbie here so still in full "tosser" mode so go easy.

Recently been in the market for a GS, choices, choices, new, SH, which model, how much! ABS, luggage, modes? All the usual stuff when you've been out of the motorcycling world for a number of years. Last bike was an ex police R100RT, loved it and all its quirks!!

My mate has been goading me, he's recently bought a SH KTM 1190, all the bells and whistles and a wheelbarrow full of cash! I thought, no, start off at the beginning, see if you really want to get back into it. Then up pops a very clean 40k mile'er R1100GS, luggage, ABS, perfect! Trade dealer, not your average m/c dealer more a garage servicing classic cars, selling scooters and Guzzi's as a sideline. Made enquires, about the GS for sale? Reply, yes, did you get the extra picture you requested? "What extra pics?" "Didn't you ring earlier?" No! "Ah sorry mate guy's just rung up for more pics and is coming to see tomorrow afternoon". I thought, this salesman a pro, the oldest one in the book! What time do you close? 5, I'll be down by 4:30!
Arrive 4:30 on the dot, usual thing, you have to be in suss out mode, the type of garage, the sales person. Instantly at ease, model 1960's garage, salesman was the owner and mechanic, ex racer and prep'er of boxer engines, GS was as described, tools, 4 owners from new (1999), on the button, sounded sweet as a nut! It was a no brainer! Deal was done all fair and square. "There'll be a new MOT and service done, when do you want to collect it?" In a couple of days. "That's fine, "I'll ring you when it's ready". Deposit paid, and all done by 5:10! Driving the hour home, I was feeling chuffed as punch with the purchase and the deal, then the worry!! You never took it for a test ride, what if, gearbox, final drive, handling, are you going to like the riding position?? It's a BMW GS!! It was altogether standard R1100GS low miles!!

Whilst doing my research I came across this forum, registered, had a look at various posts, I thought, yeah this is good and subscribed and then came across this post after paying my deposit and no test ride reading the OP it put me right at ease!
I picked the GS up Wednesday, a howling, rain lashed freezing cold day and I wasn't looking forward to the hours ride up the M1!
Nothing could have been worse, unfamiliar place, leave, puddles of standing water, cars with steamed up windows! All I can say is, I didn't have to worry about the bike, it just did what I asked of it, it didn't feedback my nervousness going into roundabouts it just feedback confidence from the off, so much so it allowed me to concentrate in the poor weather conditions and guide me and the bike home safely. Needless to say, despite the foul weather conditions, I got home and was grinning from ear to ear!! The OP was spot on!!

Can't wait now to get out on a dry sunny day to really enjoy the GS experience!!, when might that be in the British winter??

Attachments

• 20191114_144736.jpg
    20191114_144736.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 530
Hi All,
Newbie here so still in full "tosser" mode so go easy.

Recently been in the market for a GS, choices, choices, new, SH, which model, how much! ABS, luggage, modes? All the usual stuff when you've been out of the motorcycling world for a number of years. Last bike was an ex police R100RT, loved it and all its quirks!!

My mate has been goading me, he's recently bought a SH KTM 1190, all the bells and whistles and a wheelbarrow full of cash! I thought, no, start off at the beginning, see if you really want to get back into it. Then up pops a very clean 40k mile'er R1100GS, luggage, ABS, perfect! Trade dealer, not your average m/c dealer more a garage servicing classic cars, selling scooters and Guzzi's as a sideline. Made enquires, about the GS for sale? Reply, yes, did you get the extra picture you requested? "What extra pics?" "Didn't you ring earlier?" No! "Ah sorry mate guy's just rung up for more pics and is coming to see tomorrow afternoon". I thought, this salesman a pro, the oldest one in the book! What time do you close? 5, I'll be down by 4:30!
Arrive 4:30 on the dot, usual thing, you have to be in suss out mode, the type of garage, the sales person. Instantly at ease, model 1960's garage, salesman was the owner and mechanic, ex racer and prep'er of boxer engines, GS was as described, tools, 4 owners from new (1999), on the button, sounded sweet as a nut! It was a no brainer! Deal was done all fair and square. "There'll be a new MOT and service done, when do you want to collect it?" In a couple of days. "That's fine, "I'll ring you when it's ready". Deposit paid, and all done by 5:10! Driving the hour home, I was feeling chuffed as punch with the purchase and the deal, then the worry!! You never took it for a test ride, what if, gearbox, final drive, handling, are you going to like the riding position?? It's a BMW GS!! It was altogether standard R1100GS low miles!!

Whilst doing my research I came across this forum, registered, had a look at various posts, I thought, yeah this is good and subscribed and then came across this post after paying my deposit and no test ride reading the OP it put me right at ease!
I picked the GS up Wednesday, a howling, rain lashed freezing cold day and I wasn't looking forward to the hours ride up the M1!
Nothing could have been worse, unfamiliar place, leave, puddles of standing water, cars with steamed up windows! All I can say is, I didn't have to worry about the bike, it just did what I asked of it, it didn't feedback my nervousness going into roundabouts it just feedback confidence from the off, so much so it allowed me to concentrate in the poor weather conditions and guide me and the bike home safely. Needless to say, despite the foul weather conditions, I got home and was grinning from ear to ear!! The OP was spot on!!

Can't wait now to get out on a dry sunny day to really enjoy the GS experience!!, when might that be in the British winter??

Good one

Similar story, bought a 1997 1100 RT 1 owner fsh etc no test ride took the owners word, had it for 2 years and managed to get used to it's erm quirks!, needed a lot of monies spent so replaced 3 years ago with an 07 GS and have loved it ever since, going in next week for service at main dealer and they are desperate to give me their 1250GS as a courtesy bike. Please if anyone knows anybody at BMW Guildford, ask them not to give the 1250GS as I have had a look at it in the show room and I think it is a thing of beauty. I am happy with my 07 GS and we all know where this will end......

Be strong, or crash it, that'll show'em

I took on a six month old 2003 1150 GS non ABS not having test rode it. Other bikes come and go alongside it with a 90th edition 2013 RT sharing the garage at present. But the GS is always the 1st choice to fire up and take to the back roads. It's travelled around most of europe two up over the years. Have often considered selling but the RT will be long gone before I have the courage to let this one go.

I have never considered a GS and have probably been one of those that have looked at them thinking they are far too commonly seen to even consider. However I am now torn between the GS Exclusive and the Tiger1200 XRT. (Tiger mainly because of the price/equipment/current offer.
Anyway the Tiger is ruled by my head while the 1250 GS Exclusive has my heart. Only one guess as to which will win I suppose:D
Never ridden a GS and having looked at reviews/youtube etc etc will be arranging a test ride two up next week.

Just love that colour scheme

Attachments

• 518482zOfTL.jpg
    518482zOfTL.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 779
I have enjoyed reading this. I too came over to GS land without a test ride. My bike prior to the GS was a Ducati 1098. I can honestly say I won't be changing soon, Oh by the way I too often take the long way home...

I would say test ride always.
you might hate it?

Ive always had sportsbikes so knew anything other than a sportsbike would take some getting used too
There are some things a love about the GS, some things i dislike... ive just learned to live with the quirks lol

Test rode the 1250GS september 2019.....didn't really like it.....didn't think about it again
From full sportsbikes to 2 S1000XR's when a deal came up in lockdown for a new 1250GS Exclusive I lost my faculties and bought it over the phone from 140 miles away
Picked it up 26th May and am just over 4 thousand miles in (would have been more but for lockdown and work) and I fookin love it
Aimlessly riding around wasting petrol

Purchased mine a month ago, it’s a new GSA but not the 2021 version. I’ve gone from a Ducati V4S so you can imagine how difficult the change was going to be. I’ve been riding for 40 years and unfortunately it was becoming painful to ride a sports bike but didn’t want to give up riding. The change has been one of the best decisions ever. I love it, it’s comfortable, easy to ride, looks great and can’t wait to take it touring. I always thought that I would never buy one, do it.

I' WillyB
Have personally hated BMW gs's and all they stood for, for years, (I have owned since my test in 1979, XL500 Honda, Suzuki ER and a 1987 Suzuki DR big and the like and hated BMW's claim for the first ADV bike) I have been a Triumph man since 2002, Tiger 885i then x6 955i's a brand new 2011 XT super ten, a Versy 1000 2012 then a new Triumph Exlplorer 1200xc 2014, I honestly shunned the GS brigade and mocked them to my mates on runs out and trips.
I did like the Ewan and Charlie trip and followed it every week on tv with my middle son, even bought him the box set for Xmas.
Well' times and life changes and I needed to sell the Explorer (motor home)
I did have a 2004 Tiger 955i in the garage.
Then I came across this 2006 BMWr1200gs in Grey 2 owners and good service history??
So I thought have a look it's in my budget, none ABS model full Vario luggage.

The Guy had owned it since 2012, the second owner, all paperwork from new including the original purchase from York.
I can only say on arrival his garage was tidier than my house and he was manic about this bike, serviced by him and regular valve adjusts and so on.
I bought it on looks (absolutely no corrosion or marks even anywhere)... get to the point...

Rode it home 16 miles.. and all I can say is I get it...:JB:JB
Bought in August this year and have rode 4500 miles and her indoors has been on the back most of it ( she's not been on the back since 1987)

I now know why BMW make these claims and it is that good.....

WillyB

I' WillyB
Have personally hated BMW gs's and all they stood for, for years, (I have owned since my test in 1979, XL500 Honda, Suzuki ER and a 1987 Suzuki DR big and the like and hated BMW's claim for the first ADV bike) I have been a Triumph man since 2002, Tiger 885i then x6 955i's a brand new 2011 XT super ten, a Versy 1000 2012 then a new Triumph Exlplorer 1200xc 2014, I honestly shunned the GS brigade and mocked them to my mates on runs out and trips.
I did like the Ewan and Charlie trip and followed it every week on tv with my middle son, even bought him the box set for Xmas.
Well' times and life changes and I needed to sell the Explorer (motor home)
I did have a 2004 Tiger 955i in the garage.
Then I came across this 2006 BMWr1200gs in Grey 2 owners and good service history??
So I thought have a look it's in my budget, none ABS model full Vario luggage.

The Guy had owned it since 2012, the second owner, all paperwork from new including the original purchase from York.
I can only say on arrival his garage was tidier than my house and he was manic about this bike, serviced by him and regular valve adjusts and so on.
I bought it on looks (absolutely no corrosion or marks even anywhere)... get to the point...

Rode it home 16 miles.. and all I can say is I get it...:JB:JB
Bought in August this year and have rode 4500 miles and her indoors has been on the back most of it ( she's not been on the back since 1987)

I now know why BMW make these claims and it is that good.....

WillyB

WillyB,

I hope you are still talking to and riding with your mates who are presumably no longer slagging off the GS.

You could always tell them that they too can have a GS when they grow up .......

Back
Top Bottom