Accommodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaz

Reaction score
Firstly, where I don't mind helping out, it isn't my intention to arrange and book everyone's accommodation! :toungincheek
In my experience people have very individual tastes and ideas of where they would like to stay on their holidays/adventures.

Some like to have the full experience of adventure and so prefer the self contained idea of camping :camping where others like the other end of the spectrum and prefer the sauna and massage after their a la carte meal! :ChrisKelly

My point being, if I attempt to arrange everyone's accommodation then I am sure to disappoint someone.:thedummy

What I propose instead is this.....I have already told you the stop-overs at the end of each days ride. I will re-list them below. I will let you know where I intend to stop-over and what accommodation I am looking at using on that particular night.

If you don’t mind a bit of company and a bit of a crack :friday then you are welcome to join me, however if you fancy a bit of solitude that night and prefer to do you own thing then feel free to book your own accommodation somewhere else (not too far away)!

Depending on how large the group gets it isn’t uncommon for smaller groups to form and to ride at a different pace than the larger group, this is fine and the reason we will have little rendezvous points and frequent stops on-route. However, it is usually a good idea for everyone to set off each day together, that way no-one ends up on their own too far from the main group should they run into problems. :thumb

Where ur ye biding tonicht? :sleep

Sat Night - This is the first night oot and its my intention to camp, we should be in the Dumfries area and so after trawling the internet (and with a little help from Wully) i've got a few camping sites in mind but haven't settled on any yet.

Sun Night - Second night oot and again I intend to camp (unless everything gets soaked on Sat night:() We should be spending the night in St Andrews on the Sunday night!

Mon Night - Third night is in Inverness, and oor last nicht of civilisation before we head into the sticks! As such, I intend to partake on much beers and so will be wanting a real bed and a bath.....! Thinking premier inn, they are pretty central, clean and not too expensive....roughly £60 - £70 a room (which can sleep 2 I think!).

Tue Night - Up in Durness I intend to camp. There is a little campsite there that looks ok.

Wed Night - You've just got to camp in Applecross, I think there is a campsite by the beech here which says campfire, barbies, and beers to me!!

Thurs Night - Bit undecided here. Will probably partake of a few in Portree so not sure whether or not to camp or B&B, although I am leaning towards the warm bed that night! :nenau

Fri Night - Ma ane beed!

None of this is written in stone, i've yet to look at some other options i.e. hostels etc.

Anyway, thats how it looks at the mo:pullface

Now whit aboot you?

Jist quote the last message on this thread and add yer name t whit ye think, be it camping, hotel, B&B, hostel or other!
You'll soon get the idea!

Help me oot here Wully!

Sat Night

Sun Night

Mon Night

Tue Night

Wed Night

Thurs Night

Jist quote the last message on this thread and add yer name t whit ye think, be it camping, hotel, B&B, hostel or other!

Help me oot here Wully!

Sat Night Camping

Sun Night Camping

Mon Night Snecky Hotel

Tue Night Camping

Wed Night Camping

Thurs Night Portree 5 star hotel

Unless of course it pishes it doon every night in which case the B&B count might rise....

Sat Night Camping

Sun Night ootlaws hoose

Mon Night Hotel/B&B

Tue Night Camping

Wed Night Camping

Thurs Night B&B/hotel

Same as wully - weather may dictate. Going to check out a hostel |I once stayed at in the centre of Portree. Unsure how secure the Bikes would be tho

This be helpful:

Durness:
http://www.durness.org/Accommodation.htm I've never stopped in Durness, we always stay at the Craggan at Talmine by Tongue. So I can't comment on any individual spots.

Applecross:
There's also a campsite as you drop down into Applecross on the left hand side. It's the one with wooden 'wigwams' that have been mentioned and photographed elsewhere on UKGSer.
There's a couple of B+B's as well as the Applecross Inn, but bear in mind that this is a very small community that gets very busy with tourists SO BOOK YOUR DIGS EARLY!

Same applies for eating in the Applecross Inn -go after 6ish in the evening and you can struggle to get a table. Plan to eat at 5 and you can get the comfy chairs by the fire.......

With no knowledge of anywhere else, considering this Hostel for the overnight in Portree. http://www.hostelskye.co.uk/index.shtml
Stayed there some years ago whilst on a climbing trip and it is ok. Reckon bikes will have to be parked in main square as that is were the hostel is situated(good base for the evening jaunt).
Have emailed and asked if they have any beds to spare on the evening 30/04/09Price = £12-£13.50pn :thumb

Help me oot here Wully!

Sat Night

Camping

Sun Night

Camping

Mon Night

Hotel

Tue Night

Camping

Wed Night

Camping

Thurs Night

B&B Hostel

JKM's hostel idea seem good..... so we`ll see how that develops.
Not headin back to the emerald isle:aidan until SAT, so will look for somewhere for Friday also... Maybe Tyndrum.... or futher on towards stranraer :thumb

By the way... never camped before:blast
This is going to be an adventure:beer::beer:

accommodation - Portree

Hi guys,
received this reply from the Hostel:

Hello James,

plenty of space but I cannot set aside till I know how many beds you need.
Free Parking just 50m from hostel.
All beds cost £14 per night, (30p extra with card) payable on arrival.
All bedding, tea & coffee, 24hr hot showers included in price.
No smoking in hostel.
Continental breakfast available for an extra charge.
No cooking after 10pm.
Hostel closes at 10pm, frontdoor access by passkey £5 deposit.
Hostel innerdoor is closed between 10.30am and 4pm, access with the same passkey.
Last arrival for reception is 9.30pm.

Unclaimed beds sold on after 5pm so if you are ariving later than this time
you must phone 01478 613737 on the day and we will keep your beds for you.

To confirm please reply to this email or phone.
cheers
matti

James is my Sunday name by the way.

I intend to contact the hostel tomorrow to book my bed + ask about parking bikes as I think the reply was based on cars:nenau. I will inform the hostel that I will be travelling in a group and that more bookings may be required. I have no problems being the liaison, so if you want a bed, let me know soonest:thumb2 Cheers.
Kevin

Portree Hostel

Just spoke to the guy at the hostel, extremely helpful:thumb2 I've provisionally booked 8 beds - no drama, no deposits required etc. No appearance by 1700hrs on the day and beds are sold on. I did say I would keep in touch and keep him briefed. As previously stated - names to me and I will compile the list.
Reference the bikes; there is a free car park to the rear but it can get a bit 'blowy'. There is also parking in the main square but i think that has to be paid for before 1800hrs. However, my best new mate Matti :comfort, did say there is a yard to the rear of the property and if was not being used for anything else and as long as we didn't block fire escapes etc. we could put bikes in there.:clap Regards, Kevin :D :beerjug:

Just spoke to the guy at the hostel, extremely helpful:thumb2 I've provisionally booked 8 beds - no drama, no deposits required etc. No appearance by 1700hrs on the day and beds are sold on. I did say I would keep in touch and keep him briefed. As previously stated - names to me and I will compile the list.
Reference the bikes; there is a free car park to the rear but it can get a bit 'blowy'. There is also parking in the main square but i think that has to be paid for before 1800hrs. However, my best new mate Matti :comfort, did say there is a yard to the rear of the property and if was not being used for anything else and as long as we didn't block fire escapes etc. we could put bikes in there.:clap Regards, Kevin :D :beerjug:

Great work Kevin :aidan
Add me to the list for 1 of the beds :beerjug:
Thanks
Dave

Update!

Remember i'm not selecting your accommodation but I have tried to take into account when selecting my own that I may have company :aidan

This is where i'll be staying, not married to Sundays choice and haven't researched Skye yet but if you want to join me that would be great! :bounce1:bounce1

Sat Night

I’ve opted for the Lochside in Castle Douglas: http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3753
Its central (which is good as people will be joining us from different directions throughout the day), walking distance from Castle Douglas itself which is apparently renowned for good food! Staggering distance back to the tent (we’ll need a pub to get aquainted), and has 3 security cameras at the gate for the bikes! Although the prices haven’t been worked out for this season yet the guy says he can accommodate all of us if he needs to and it won’t be more than a tenner a night.

If you are happy with that let me know.

Sun Night

I struggled here big time…from all the info I could get there are only 2 campsites in the immediate vicinity of Saint Andrews town itself. Cairnsmill would have been ideal, but when I mentioned that there could be a dozen of us on motorcycles they rapidly put hurdles in my way and decided that it would be a 2 night minimal booking (which they neglected to mention until I said the word motorcycles!), so not an option.
The other main campsite walking distance from the town is Craigtoun Meadows which can only accommodate a couple of tents, not an option!

After dredging the internet and looking at other viable areas like Crail which is further down the coast and supposed to be quite picturesque….but couldn’t accommodate us I finally found a little campsite in Strathkinness called Nydie Camping and Caravan site which can accommodate us at about a tenner a night, it is about half a mile walk from a pub and 3 miles from the town, the women there said she can make us breakfast rolls for a fee also.

http://www.nydie.co.uk/

Open to suggestions!

Mon Night

Inverness, I’m still thinking that the Central Premier Inn is the place to go, it is £72 a night for a twin room (that’s for the room mind not each!) if you don’t mind sharing that’s £36 each that includes breakfast and they have a big parking facility they tell me. I’m waiting for Trickday to get back to me as he has friends out that way that might be able to offer us an alternative but if nothing appears that’s the one for me.

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do?hotelId=23811

Tue Night

This is a no-brainer, we’re staying at Durness and there is one campsite.
http://www.durness.org/Accommodation Camping.htm

Wed Night

Change of plan here, I was going to be staying at Applecross, but after some thought and realising that we probably won’t be on the road down from Keoldale till roughly 1pm, and getting to Applecross after stopping a number of times to appreciate the beautiful scenery on that route would take at least 4 hours….probably more! I have opted to stay at a campsite at Strath in Gairloch:

http://www.gairlochcaravanpark.com/

The guy’s name is Colin, he done a similar trip to the one we’re doing back in 1983 and so is pro-biker! Pub at the gate that does grub, chip shop round the corner, cooked breakfast if we want it, more pubs a short distance away, Colin reckons the one of the most beautiful beeches in Britain is under 15 minutes walk away and there is a crashed B-52 bomber just up the road if you’re interested!? Anyway, about £7 per night + breakfast if you want it!

Thurs Night[/QUOTE]

Still haven’t looked at this but considering JKM’s suggestion of a hostel if he can get confirmation that the bikes can be parked a little closer for security!

Still haven’t looked at this but considering JKM’s suggestion of a hostel if he can get confirmation that the bikes can be parked a little closer for security!

No crime like theiving scum in Portree yir bikes will be fine:thumb2

If you need any help on Skye accom gies a shout:thumb2

Forgot to mention!

Cheers HRH:thumb You will surely be joining us for a swally :beer:

Forgot to mention, with the night at Gairloch it adds a little bit onto the journey that wasn't there before but all will become clear soon as my next job is to throw it all onto mapsource to finallise the trip. We will still be riding the Applecross road (a must do!) the following day and will have more time to enjoy it :blagblah

Charlie

A nice wee pub at Strathkinnes.

I'll probably nip ower the hill and say hello on the Sunday :beerjug:

Sat Night Camping

Sun Night Camping

Mon Night Hotel

Tue Night Camping

Wed Night Camping

Thurs Night Hostel

Fri Night Camping

Sounds good. Put me down for a bed as well (and a space at the back for me bike).

cheers

Remember i'm not selecting your accommodation but I have tried to take into account when selecting my own that I may have company :aidan

This is where i'll be staying, not married to Sundays choice and haven't researched Skye yet but if you want to join me that would be great! :bounce1:bounce1

All these sound fine to me and I'm happy to stay there too. Are you making a group booking or should we call individually and book??
:thumb2

Thanks to T.D.N. and all others who have contributed to listing the accommodation.

I'm very happy to follow your lead ........

Friday, travel up from Derbyshire and stay in hotel or camp somewhere close(ish) to start point the following day. Any suggestions welcome otherwise will search internet and arrange.

Sat Night

Camping

Sun Night

Camping

Mon Night

Hotel

Tue Night

Camping

Wed Night

cheeers :D

Andy

Camping

Thurs Night

Hostel

Friday

Camping

is someone doing a block booking or are we to book individually ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom