Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ► Steering head Bearings

they wanted labour costs!! 25 min argument and late for dinner

Very useful reply chaps. Just came away from park lane having had to convince them to let me take the bike, they wanted to charge for the labour involved despite not fixing the problem! I have to speak to the manager on monday, they still think I owe them. Its infuriating to take your bike in due to a clacking noise only to be told it's £300 or money just to take the bike away without it being fixed, despite it being under warranty. Needless to say I'll be making some calls to some people and feel my bike should be repaired wihtout charge. Any further suggestions welcome (such as who to call!). BTW I onlu weight 61kg and ride the bike bike softly. Genuinely believe this shouldn't have worn them out prematurely based on your fe
    edback.

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    My steering head bearings done twice under warranty, the first time was in Italy

Change your dealer

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

In Australia BMW replaced my rear wheel bearing under warranty and even though warranty has expired they are sending me some steering head bearings at no cost ... I pay for labour.

madame's head bearings replaced under warranty at about 12k. Hardly and play at all and they did it at service without being asked.

As Micky says - change your dealer. I seem to hear lots of iffy stuff abolut Park Lane.

Thanks for the advice

Thanks again chaps, each experience very valuable. Dodgy Park Lane! Might try Vines again, or check out Coopers or that one in Hertfordshire to try and get some sense from a more 'local' dealer.
    Any further input/experiences very welcome.

I could understand the argument that a wheel bearing might need replacing due to wear at 12,000 miles... but a steering head bearing is pretty much a life-time-item. The only way it'll wear is if it has got dirt into it, and on a bike like the GS, if dirt gets into it, it's a design flaw.
    Don't pay for it.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Just had my steering head bearings replaced under warranty 09 bike 12400 miles
    no problem, as before check with a different dealer.

Change of dealer

Okay, have taken the bike back down south which is where I should have taken in the first place, had my 6000 mile service there. They've confirmed informally bearings are usually warrantable, as you all thought. Park Lane is hounding me by phone to pay the bill (£88) for the diagnosis of the not-under-warranty problems (including the bearings), which I'm becoming stressed about. They're so adamant and keep arguing me down! Missed another call from them yesterday - I guess they'll just put the bill in the mail

To give you the full picture, I had also got them to check the fuel gauge (fuel ran out once with 23 miles left on the meter!), rusty pipes where they exit the engine block, and look into accumulation of oil around the filler plug which had occurred despite me not having touched it, so part of their argument was that they spent time looking at those issues and nothing was wrong. I understand these checks took some time. But if they’d replaced the bearings (since they ARE under warranty) due to the clicking like I’d asked – and calmly tried to negotiate – they wouldn’t have had ‘non-warrantable’ issues and be demanding money . They did find a heated grip was busted and replaced it.

Should I capitulate and pay the bill? Don’t want fees to accumulate, this would stress me out! Maybe BMW head office will refund it? I feel like I’m skipping out on a bill – but the bill is totally illegitimate in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jonno; 15-03-11 at 10:55. Reason: spelling!

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Arrow

Jonno,

you're best taking this up with BMW Head office, i don't think they will quibble at £88 fault finding mission for the sake of you being a happy customer....write them a letter with everything you've mentioned on here and i'm sure they will sort you out

Hi all, just stumbled on this thread as Pro-tyre told me they noticed a rough rear wheel bearing when balancing my new Anakee 2. As anyone who has followed the chain failure thread over the past couple of years will know:

1. F800/650GS has been built with quite a few poor quality parts.
    2. BMW customer service and head office don't give a f..k and will deny any problem.
    3. Some dealers take it upon themselves to try to maintain the level of service BMW used to be renowned for (good on them) - other don't.

BMW now appears to be concentrating on broadening it's product range and market segment at the expense of quality and service with many of it's products and this is a shame. As for Park Lane, just tell them they can take you to court if they want the money - the cost to them of doing this would be prohibitive and you would probably win anyway!

Fixed. No cost.

Fixed with no fuss whatsoever by Vines - credit to them. Picked it up on the Saturday and got a free curry and ride of the 1000RR thrown in (that's a tempting piece of machinery)! Such variation in service between dealers, very hard to understand. Thanks Vines for being somewhat close to London but having 'local' type understanding and service. Have written to the manager at Battersea about the stupid bill, giving them first right of official reply (have argued with them three times about it now, so its letters only. Verbal back-and-forth wasn't getting me anywhere) before I take it to head office. Thanks for your help everyone.

BWT front end handling feels amazing now - F800GS riders don't put up with an F800GS that has crap-all front-end feel and significant clicking over bumps/rutts that's not from the brakes. Yes it's a bit 'dive-ey' with braking (that's 'normal') - but it seems the race bearings can be loose and/or faulty so check it out.
    Last edited by Jonno; 22-03-11 at 16:11. Reason: Added more blah

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    FWIW BMW Park Lane is not a normal dealer but is owned by BMW itself.

Plenty of stories of money-grabbing stinginess and poor service on here. I don't know how they stay in business.

I doubt they'd go to court to argue that an important bearing is a 'wear and tear' item with about the same service life as a front tyre
    There can only be 11 and I'm one.

My pics

Glad you got it sorted, Jonno. With regards to the bill, pay it and then take it up with BMW UK. That's what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    Glad you got it sorted, Jonno. With regards to the bill, pay it and then take it up with BMW UK. That's what I would do.
    You have great faith in BMW head office customer service Jonno! My experience with two faulty chains was that it took over a year and the involvement of VOSA to get them to even admit a problem (even after the manufacturers, CZ, admitted there was). They then replaced chains at service (no recall) and refused to reimburse those of us who had previously replaced chains ourselves at our own cost. My advice - don't pay!

As for wheel bearings lasting 12k miles being OK, my mate has just replaced an original one in his 17 year old FJ1200 Yamaha after 42k miles (the other one is still OK). The quality of parts BMW have used in the F800/650GS is just not acceptable for an expensive (yes it is!) motorcycle and has damaged their reputation considerably amongst those of us with long memories.

I am seriously thinking about replacing mine with something like a KTM SMT which has better quality components all round, which is sad because I have had 3 previous BMWs and they have been sound.

Done and dusted

Had a reply to my complaint letter to Park Lane - the £88 fault finding fee has been waived, but they 'can't comment on another dealer's willingness to fix the fault under warranty'... Seems to me like BMW probably don't re-imburse them as much as they can charge the consumer, so they go for the consumer if they can.
    Thanks again for your input guys.
    Joker - I just felt that I needed to keep Park Lane involved and accountable for trying to charge £300 for something that, broadly speaking, is definately a warranty issue. I agree, head office may have re-imbursed me, but Park Lane shouldn't be wasting people's time.
    Lunchbox, I agree, I didn't know much about what timeframes constitute reasonable wear-and-tear for different parts, but have since learned that race bearings being worn-out after just 12000 miles is a joke. I had planned to export this bike to Australia at considerable expense and to 'run it into the ground' (put many thousands of miles on it), but now have to re-think whether it's as reliable as I'd hoped. With things like chains snapping and bearings wearing out, etc, on UK bikes that are used on flat tarmac, I'd hate to see how these bikes cope in the desert / on the dirt like I'd planned. Despite them supposedly being built for adventure. Grrrr! Anyway, still mostly love the bike, so will now get my 12000 mile service with motoscot and keep riding.
    J

PS - Joker let me know if you guys want to go for a spin any time.

Glad you got it sorted Jonno. As regards hard use - for serious off roading I would go for a proper enduro bike - a KTM or Husky, Honda or Yam or something. They are lighter, stronger and built with proper off road suspension. For mild off roading and adventure touring (particularly with luggage) the 800GS is great and seems to have a strong motor, you just have to replace softer OE bits like chain, bearings, rims etc when they go. If you check the other 8GS sites, especially the US ones you will see people taking them to some pretty wild places!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast