► Steering head Bearings

moto1527

Hi all, ok just clocked up 11k miles and the head races are "notchy" probably not greased up on the PDI (this happened before on various bikes- kawasaki, Aprilia etc). Anyway the lads down at Bath Rd motorcycles (Bristol) are going to fix it on tuesday.

Anyone else had this or heard of it happening? The symptoms are a vagueness or wandering sensation at very low speed ie <10mph. Still delighted with the bike in general but slightly disappointed that BMW have let these silly little things mar the experience.

Moto

rutted head bearings???

hey there again, has anyone experienced a rutted feel on the steering of the 800gs especially when 2 up.:blast felt it today and got the bike up on the centre stand with the front wheel in the air. had a feel turning the steering from one lock to the other and its definately stiff/rutted when passing the centre mark.

the bikes only got 1500 on the clock with no offroad use as yet and i can remember feeling this before. is it normal or should it go in for new bearings?:confused:

Sounds like they're fooked to me ... Is there a definite 'pocket' (hard to describe it any other way) when the wheel is pointed straight forward?

Either way I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to look at it. Does anyone know if these bearings are common parts with any other model?

G

definately a 'pocket' feel to it as you say. taking it in to Battersea BMW tomorrow. hopefully it does not take too long.:rob

thanks guys

Steering Head Bearing F650GS

Hi all,

bike's in for it's 40K km service. For the last month, I feel the front wheel vibrate when I let go of the handle bars. Got a phone from the dealer today and they say that this vibation isn't caused by a poorly balanced front wheel as I suspected, but by wear on the steering head bearing.

Is this normal after 40K km? Have never been off-roading on the bike, never pulled a wheelie.

Thanks for any input.

Gert

My wifes old F650 single had failed head bearings at 20 months/9500 miles, they were replaced without any quibble under warranty free of charge. These were ball bearings and seemed to dimple the races easily.

The twin range has taper roller bearings if the parts fiche is correct. A small amount of slack can be take out by undoing the top fork clamp bolts and tightening the central nut. If this is overdone the bearings could become damaged and the steering very vague.

The bearings are fairly easy to check, lift the front wheel off the ground and by pushing and pulling the fork bottoms feel for any play by placing your finger on the bottom yolk and frame. There should be 0 movement.

Next centralise the forks and let them fall from lock to lock. There should be no roughness or resistance, if there is a notchy feel its time to get the bearings changed. This should be a warranty claim if the maintenance schedule has been followed.

thanks for the how-to

so, do I understand you correctly? noticeable wearing of the steering head bearings after 40K kms is NOT normal and *should* be replaced under warranty?

-G-

Try a warranty claim first, Our dealer noticed the wear on our old bike and offered to change them free. A correctly designed and fitted bearing assembly with good maintenance should last for many years. They could have been assembled wrong or not greased from new (This was a common problem on the old Aprilia Pegaso bikes)

BMW will also replace swingarm bearings ,wheel bearings and fork seals under warrenty, it depends how good your dealer is and how much you pester them. They should not fail in 40000k (25000 miles) without abuse or neglect.

well, I've talked with the dealer: he says there's zero chance of the bearings being replaced under warranty after 40.000km's. He compares it to the wear and tear on the chain and sprockets, which are also not under warranty (provided they do not go bust after just a few thousand kms).

On another note: I must say I'm verry happy with the way the chain holds up: after 42000km, I'm still riding about with the original chain. Dealer though, he says chain is now deteriorating.

Its not a good example of BMW engineering then, imagine the complaints if BMW car drivers had to replace their wheel bearings and steering components every 40000K.

So,

bearings are replaced under warranty @ 45.000kms! Went to another dealer as the dealer where I bought the bike in the first place, wouldn't even check with BMW if it's a warranty job or not.

Oh, yes, had a new chain fitted also; first one was pretty nackered after 45K.

New bearings ad chain: it's like riding a brand new bike again!

G

Head Bearing worn/replaced by warranty.

Found through the more than useful (he'll start charging soon :augie) 2nd Greggors maintenance day.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220275

I explained my weird problem, 'one of many'..some might say!

Riding along I'd take my hands off & at say 40mph the steering bar/handle grips would judder forward & backwards by up to 2 inch's so to speak (over exaggerating no doubt) on each side. Greg went through the process of elimination & found that my head-bearings had worn & needed replacing. The wheel was wiped off & the forks were pulled back & forth whilst the bike was on its center stand & added '3rd' leg. The forks literally made a clicking sound, the movement was I'd guess two millimeters.

Everyone then dashed around their own F800's as we thought it might be contagious. But I didn't kiss anyone!!! :kissy2 Got it sorted under warranty today & the bike feels rock-solid now. However Northampton-Wollaston motorrad engineers have left my rev counter with a good bloody scratch..ffs :blast

..here's hoping that it can be polished out..

had mine replaced 3 times actually, the first time they scratched my dials as well and i managed to get them to replace it as it was their sloppyness.:rob
Make sure you go back to them in about 500miles for them to check and tighten it as the bearings seem to work their way loose when settling.

Cheers for the response's & nice heads-up on 500mile tighten tip zippygser! :bounce1

(What's you avatar about Zippygser you got a webby link?!? I don't look into the travel areas as I don't want to jinx myself in the brain department)

N1 G for locating problem, I have just got off the phone & they will replace the screen (I did say it looks like the unit can we undone & took apart) on my Rev counter.

So with a certain amount of grief internally I will be getting it sorted next wednesday on my half-day off. Bloody hate complaining when I've had such good service from Motorrad @bmw Northampton.

-----------------------

Just want to point out that they do all the Touratech stuff there, you can order it & grab it within a day or so. I would ride down to Bahnstormers to do my orders for touratech gear/bling & one day one of the guys said why are you traveling 100+ miles to here?? :clap Am I been stupid or do all bmw motorrad dealerships have the option of ordering touratech gear..because they don't go out of there way to inform the public/customers.

Just had my head bearing replaced today.
This is the second time it happened.
The guys in the dealers - Kearys in Cork - actually asked me to come back after two hundred miles to have it tightened.
They reckon this is the problem with head bearings on these bikes.

To date I would have to give Kearys 9/10 for their service. :thumb2

Busted headlamp lens + steering head bearings shot

Hi all.

Okay. All you people with headlamp protectors can feel smug now. I've always thought they were a tad pretentious, until some prat in Turkey cut in in front of me on a gravel road and showered me with stones. They were bouncing off my helmet and visor, but I didn't realise until later that my lamp lens had a big crack in it.

Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I think I've read elsewhere that you have to replace the whole lamp unit which seems ridiculous.

Also need to replace the steering head bearings. They seem to cost about £28 for a pair from Motorworks, but BMW are quoting me £170 to do the job (inc parts). Is this something I could do myself, bearing in mind I don't have much mechanical experience, and my life depends on getting it right? I have taken out the front forks before, but never removed the headstock.

Bike is F650GS twin.

I think I know the answer already!

Malcolm,

Yes, the headlight is fooked, and no ... it's not kinda!

If the bike's not due for an MOT anytime soon, I'd leave it for the moment and just tape over the crack with some waterproof clear tape (B&Q do it for about £3.00/roll I think) The OE lamp is so shite that a bit of tape is going to make naff-all difference IMHO.

The head bearings - hmmm - DONT BUY BMW BEARINGS!! Find out the number, go to your local bearing stockist and get some quality bearings... then do the job yourself. It's pretty straightforward and should only take a morning (as well as save you £170...)

G

The head bearings are covered by your 2 year BMW warranty. My wifes were getting rough at 21000 miles and 30 months old, the extended Motorad warranty we purchased covered the replacement.

Back
Top Bottom