► Steering head Bearings

Head Bearings

I replaced my bearings at 6500 miles last week. I've thought a lot about the problem and discussed it with some engineer acquaintances and we think that the bottom bearing is at the upper limit of it's design load and is not really designed for being static for long periods if the bike is solely used on the road.
I have always had Airheads and remembered that each time I put the bike away I have always turned the front wheel lock to lock a few times to re-distribute the grease. I now do this with the 800 when I return from a ride when the headstock area is nice and warm. It certainly can't hurt and may just help.
I have also done the torquing procedure three times now: on installation / 50 miles / 200 miles and I'll do again at 1000 miles if I still own the bike which is currently for sale. This will ensure that the bearings bed in consistently whilst maintaining the approved tightness in the bearings; this may seem a bit of overkill but changing bearings is a PITA. I also think that the bearings may not have been lubricated and set up correctly at manufacture / PDI and certainly not at 600 mile service.
:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom