National Defence Medal

:confused:

Looks like a rip off to me

It's not earnt, it's bought.......it's just a bit of bling with some jingoistic pseudo pride atached to it by the marketing people :confused:

This strikes me as a bit like a commemerative (sp?) plate, issued by whatever 'mint' they choose to call themselves. I'm sure the intention is good, but the fact remains, if it's not recognised, it cannot be worn on dress uniform and is therefore completely worthless.

Medals look good, and without doubt add credibility. But I'll stick with the three I've legitimately earned and leave it at that.:thumb

WTF??

As an ex soldier I can only think whoever decided upon this must admire our US allies!!! After all, they used to get a medal for flying over NI which they classed as a combat zone!
:nenau

Panzer's and Stubbs posts above are quite telling. In the UK our counterparts in the US (for example), are considered to be decorated for the slightest of reasons. Where in the British Forces, you see a guy wearing a medal ribbon and you know that chap has earned it. You don't know the in's and out's of what he had to do to get it, but you know he earned it.

I think our Force's would prefer that, rather than wear pretty freebies.

Today my son who's in the RAF told me about this new medal which is about to be issued -

http://servicecomm.peweb8.m25.co.uk/item15.htm

It's a shame it's likely to cost £45 though.

Paul, it's not real.

It's a Walt Gong and there are loads of them about. "Cold War" medal, "BAOR Medal" and "National Service" are a few.

They are mainly purchased by those who want some tin on their chest at memorial services etc but don't have any real ones.

Tis a pity but the RBL sort of encourages this practice as they allow the makers to advertise in their publications.

On the subject of Septics and medals, some of their ribbons are just that, they don't actually get a medal for completing so many weeks of basic training but they do get a ribbon. When you see some spotty Merkin Oik with a row of ribbons, often that's all they are but that's because they like lots of badges and bling on their uniforms.

I served 7 years in the RAF and to show for it I've got some good memories, an RAF tie and a freebie veterans badge from Uncle Gordon.

Anything like this 'commemmorative' medal is just walting.

I take you points about this 'unofficial' medal, but I wondered if it may be like the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal and issued to all servicemen and emergency service people.

A bit like the Aussies who used to emulate us Brits (having built their Military forces from British mentoring/training and old British kit), but have now decided to go all bling and emulate the 'Merkins after buying their kit.

They have more uniforms than you can shake a stick at, and award everyone a medal for completing 4 years service in the Australian Defence Force. Since everyone has a minimum term of 6 years, everybody gets one. It was originally for the old boys who had done their bit during the war, but snowballed to become a commonly issued item amongst serving and retired members.

I didn't bother hanging around long enough to earn mine (15 months was more than enough)....:augie

That National Defence 'Medal' is nothing but cheap bling and a total waste of £45. A quote from the website homepage:

"SERVICE COMMEMORATIVES was established in 1992 to provide Servicemen and women with high quality Commemorative Medals for service that various Governments chose not to recognise with official medals. "

The Queens Golden Jubilee Medal is an officially recognised award, and can (should) be worn with uniform if still serving. Being Gold coloured it is very bling though. My kids call mine "Dads Bling Gong":D

Seems like it's priced a bit steep to me, from a UK manufacturer the dies would cost around £150 each side (if the back was detailed if not only one die would be needed) and perhaps £3-£4 each to strike, polish and plate) depends on numbers ordrered, could be cheaper. The ribbon could cost about the same, the bars might be maybe £1-£2 each, the box £2-£4. All these prices depend on numbers ordered and would be much cheaper if sourced via the Far East.

Shep

arr the Golden Jubilee (or Naafi queing medal), totally worthless and IMO should never have been issued, the LSGC is bad enough but the Jubilee takes the p***, you can't even polish em properly now as there so thin the plating wears off :mad:

I take you points about this 'unofficial' medal, but I wondered if it may be like the Queen's Golden Jubilee Medal and issued to all servicemen and emergency service people.

Short answer is no. The QGJM is an official award.

Basic rule of thumb is that if you have to buy it from the internet because you were never issued one then it's unofficial and you're just a short step away from being a sad walt like Jamie Barrett.

THE NATIONAL DEFENCE MEDAL is available to all British Commonwealth and allied ex-servicemen and women,both regular and reserve, and to civilian volunteers (Police,Fire Service,Essential Services,Emergency Services,Coast Guard,Merchant Navy,Ambulance Service,Red Cross etc.) who have served their homeland faithfully for a minimum period of 28 days.
Is that a mis-print? :nenau So if you've been in the merchant navy or Red Cross for 4 weeks, you qualify for a medal which costs you £45. :rolleyes:

Is that a mis-print? :nenau So if you've been in the merchant navy or Red Cross for 4 weeks, you qualify for a medal which costs you £45. :rolleyes:

Qualifying period as determined by the sales director of said medal making company perhaps ? :nenau

EDIT: No disrespect intended to anyone who 'did their bit' and got missed out on recognition for it by the authorities, but as a former serviceman I find these 'Medals for sale' a bit tasteless and offensive to those who have served/are serving and deserve theirs. It just belittles the meaning of official honours and awards if any old Tom, Dick or Harry can simply buy theirs for cash.

Qualifying period as determined by the sales director of said medal making company perhaps ? :nenau
I'm sure you're right, but they haven't set the bar very high have they? :rolleyes:

... as a former serviceman I find these 'Medals for sale' a bit tasteless and offensive to those who have served/are serving and deserve theirs. It just belittles the meaning of official honours and awards if any old Tom, Dick or Harry can simply buy theirs for cash.
You're not alone. I've never been in the services (came bloody close to joining the Police once, but I doubt that "coming close" counts) :mmmm and this "National Defence Medal" rattles my cage, so I can imagine what it does to someone who has earnt a proper medal. :mad:

I think your are all being a bit harsh. (Well someones got to disagree otherwise this just becomes a one-sided debate). I have two 'proper' medals and for years they stayed in a drawer and the GSM just became tarnished. My lad dug them out one year and had them framed along with an old photo and an RE cap badge. Very nice I thought.

Last November we both went into town on Remembrance Sunday to watch the parade and clearly the troops these days certainly have far more medals than in my day pre-Falklands.

I dipped out on the QEGJ medals I retired from the local force three months before the date of issue. As I did 27yrs in the Army and Police, I have retrospectively applied for one.

Personally I can see no harm in these unofficial medals just as long as we don't become like the Merkins. I saw a group of extremely smart but baby faced soldiers in the Grand Central Station in Washington DC. I couldn't believe the number of medal ribbons they had already accumulated and I swear some were almost too young to shave.

Personally I can see no harm in these unofficial medals just as long as we don't become like the Merkins.

Paul, as you say, there are differing perspectives.

On the one hand there are those who have served in the Armed Forces and never qualified for any 'tin' through no fault of their own.

There are those who have served in particularly dangerous roles and yet there exists no recognition (I'm thinking of Bomber Command in WWII).

I recall bandsmen coming to West Belfast in the early 70's, to hang around Bn HQ, safely tucked-up in Turf Lodge playing their instruments for 30 days just to qualify for a GSM. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration, some of them did some stags in Sangars but only doubled-up with a fully-trained soldier (who would have been on his own anyway).

I used to think that the wearers of these unofficial, 'commemorative' medals were pretty harmless but now I take the view that any Walting is the same. Turning-up wearing these pseudo-gongs is no different from the extreme form of Walting (as perfected by the infamous "Baron Castleshort").

I have some gongs (they are mounted in a case with those of other family members and proudly displayed by my mother on her wall). I have never had the need to wear them since leaving uniforms behind. If I go to a Remembrance Day service, I don't wear them, I don't feel the need to display my own paltry efforts at such events, I go there to remember family and friends. It would go a long way to remove the desire to wear these commemorative medals if the RBL and others ruled that medals should only be worn in uniform by serving personnel.

It would go a long way to remove the desire to wear these commemorative medals if the RBL and others ruled that medals should only be worn in uniform by serving personnel.

Gotta disagree, you just look at some of the old WW2 vets on rememberance parade wearing theres, would you really stop these very proud men showing what they achieved. These were men that fought for Queen and country so deserve to be recognised, just a shame it's only one day a year. Now the modern soldier IMO isn't fighting for Queen and country or even for right or wrong, he's fighting for the bloke next to him, or to make sure he gets home to the family he's left behind. It's just a job these days, I don't agree with these medals you buy but if someones been awarded one let them wear it.

Now the modern soldier IMO isn't fighting for Queen and country or even for right or wrong, he's fighting for the bloke next to him, or to make sure he gets home to the family he's left behind. It's just a job these days.......

Is that opinion based on personal experience Ned??

Back
Top Bottom