Who else keeps thier pride and joy outside

Outside, no option. A nylony breathable (so they say) cover is the best it gets. A bucket of warm water with Turtle wax in it - no hose either.
Warm water because I am not putting my hands in cold, OK.

ACF50, far too expensive - Mr. Sheen and occassionally WD40 from Wilcos when it is on a BOGOF or a 50% extra deal - then i buy three or four!

Doesn't look to bad for an new girl, well new by my standards - only changed to it 3 years ago, now 6 years old. One before lasted from 1981! RS100.

Just wash it when you get home each day, it only takes 15 minutes. When you're finished the toast is ready - you know this because the "toast is burnt again" alarm goes off. Poached eggs will be hard, too.

Alternative. Burn toast and hard cook eggs before you do the bike.

winter

hi
my old gs was only ever rode in the wet winters , 3 in total , 15000 miles .sports bike for the summer , 3 years of not cleaning and only a stone chip on a fork leg ,its exposed to sea air 24/7.
first day was the only day it looked nice . underneath was coated in waxoyl , tank stands ,linkage plus fork legs abs ring,handle bars .shaft ,insides of frame work , nuts and bolts ,just about everywhere ,alloy can ,Remus . used to stink when hot , everything else was rubbed over regular with 20/50 motor oil or anything else i could get my hands on ,ac 50 in switch gear . first time i done this to a bike .the only problems i had was a sticking brake caliper after the first winter because i washed it and left it for a few days . also the oil in the engine went milky ,cold water hitting the hot engine and caused condensation so i never washed it again when i sold it it was real bad to get off , but no corrosion . so the goo works . every thing i own metal gets that treatment now and it works but you have to keep on top of it . inland would not need this quite extreme effort , salted roads for the few weeks in winter would be as bad though .
hope this helps pb:)

Mine sleeps outside, up by the window there.

An old sweat shirt with the arms cut off goes over the screen, then a soft cover, then a nylon waterproof cover, then a large plastic waterproof cover over everything. If windy I have a strap goes over and round to stop it blowing away or chaffing.

Never hurt the 'bikes, always in top condition, no one would ever know any of my 'bikes have slept outside :thumb

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Sleep outside.jpg
    Sleep outside.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 324
Mine sleeps outside, up by the window there.

An old sweat shirt with the arms cut off goes over the screen, then a soft cover, then a nylon waterproof cover, then a large plastic waterproof cover over everything. If windy I have a strap goes over and round to stop it blowing away or chaffing.

Never hurt the 'bikes, always in top condition, no one would ever know any of my 'bikes have slept outside :thumb

Get those new (six months too late but never mind ;) ) crash bars off and spray them black Micky FFS!! :blast

:kissy2

PS looks to be a useful little space under there for a tool roll ;)

That where ya gonna put it....I remember you saying something along those lines :)

Snow009.jpg

Get those new (six months too late but never mind ;) ) crash bars off and spray them black Micky FFS!! :blast

:kissy2

But I quite like 'em Bill :kissy2

They go with the finish on the pannier mount rails :kissy2

Anyway ... they suit my shy introvert personality :eek:

I've kept all my bikes outside sometimes covered but most of the time I forget. A quick wash down with the hose after riding and a good wash every now and then seems to do the job.

My HD 'Scruffy Glide' lives outside... 'Cos I've got no garage!

The GS will have to as well ;-) Hoping it holds up better though!

I use plenty of 'Asda Multi Spray' it's £1 (or less) for 400ml.

It leaves a waxy residue on the bike that seems to protect it.

Never used the ACF stuff, so I don't know if it's much worse.

I've never had a garage.

Bike spends its time parked up under a lightweight cover that lets 'some' rain through... but fends most off.

Prefer that to these so called 100% waterproof covers that when/if the sun comes out turn into mini saunas.

bike looks good despite being 10yrs old this december.

bike230109002.jpg

I couldn't sleep .........keeping my bikes outside

My bikes (various bikes) kept outside for over thirty years without a problem, without corrosion ....

.... and that's with a DN4 post code :D

Back
Top Bottom