Installing - Steering damper

1Rider

Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and install a steering damper on my ’08 GSA. Gorilla Zilla has a few nice kits that fit the German bikes and the Öhlins SD 415 Steering Dampers (also sold as Scotts).
http://www.gorillazillaproducts.com/product_list.php?cat_id=10&subcat_id=all
Had contact with Dave from Gorilla Zilla and ordered via e-mail, wired the money and had the kit delivered from South Africa within the week. Had some other work to do on the bike so with the tank removed it was a breeze to install the kit. (see pics). Caution must be observed when routing the throttle cable to avoid binding, wear and possible chaffing. Had to make a minor adjustment to the angle of the bracket to get a perfect fit, but all in all it appears to be a well made kit and a snug fit just in front of the tank. :clap

Ride report will have to wait - the steering damper may improve the snow handling capabilities, but I pass for now:augie

Attachments

• 20090214207.jpg
    20090214207.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,561
  • 20090214208.jpg
    20090214208.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 20090214210.jpg
    20090214210.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,210
  • 20090214211.jpg
    20090214211.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,573
Interesting, but may I ask why?

I've not come across a time on the road where I've felt I'd need a steering damper, even with a great oaf like me at the helm behaving like a hooligan.

Perhaps of benefit off road?

Bling:thumb
A GS has many limitations offroad before a steering damper would make any difference;)

Thought that might be the case :D

In the event that I ever want to go off road I'll take a pogo, ta. This is unlikely however as I'm useless at it :beer:

In Cape Town, with only a few days in a year with wind less than gale force, man that damper is sweet. It makes those horrid cross winds just that bit less intimidating. Helps for the wind burst from on-comming and when passing trucks and busses also. Appart from that the GS is pretty stable and head shakes and wobbles are rare as far as I can assertain. I took the plunge on the damper and in my opionion it is worth it. More off-road ability rather go big and splurge on 21" front wheel.

Nice bit o' bling, but of no use in reality. Have owned bikes with proper power and fast steering that would shake their heads like a bastard over nowt more than a cats eye. The GS is neither powerful, or quick steering!

Never had even the smallest whiff of a tank slapper in all my miles on the GS.

That reminds me, I must make some space on the handlebars to fit that ashtray.

Damn, If only I hadn't fitted those muffs........:blast

Bling

Do I need it for where I hit a bump just wrong while powering out of a curve, for crosswinds, snow, deep loose sand, or long deep mud to improve the comfort level a bit and make it less tiring on long hauls? No.
Will I feel the positive effects of a steering stabilizer? Time will show.
Should I spent time and money at rider training – yes. BMW Motorrad Enduro Training at Hechlingen last fall was great. Recommended. Offroad trips like China, Patagonia, Baja and Copper Canyon. Sure.
But of course you are right. Mucho bling!! :drool

Hey, it's does look cool on the Bike. :thumb I didn't think anybody made a mount for a GS.

I ordered a steering damper for 610 Husky.:eek: It will be nice on the really rocky stuff.

Never ridden a bike that couldn't benefit from a steering damper, that looks like a very nice setup....:beerjug:

Bling. Tosh. Bling. Tosh. Surprised Touratwat's don't sell them. Or do they?

IMHO - should have spent the money on riding the bike !

Gerbing

What are the two erect nipple objects sticking out next to the winglets ?

Ty

Gerbing Permanent Dual Temp-Controllers
http://www.gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html
Heated clothing highly recommended for cold wx and long days. Ease and comfort:thumb2 Safety (a cold rider is not a good rider):rob

To me the location was determined by; Ease of use and to some extent look. Down side is if you need to remove "the plastic" it is one more thing to think about and remove.

PS The main control unit for the Gerbing is placed in the compartment below the tool tray and the out puts are in the same area as the bike's aux pwr

has anyone heard the term ...PREMIUM PRICING

This is where a mediocre product is offered at a insanely expensive price and those in our ranks who have allowed themselves to be dumbed down assume it must be the dogs bollox with another set of dogs bollox grafted on just because its expensive.Nike ,Rolex, Ray bans, etc. spring to mind . And the oft repeated STANZA/MANTRA that you only get what you pay for doesn’t help. I bought a cheap NEW steering dampener from E-Bay sub £20 and a fork clamp ring, sub £20 whacked it on my 07 GS1200 with less trouble than those overpriced over complicated PREMIUM PRICED things and it does the same thing/or not. Maybe the purveyors of ammonia smelling bodily fluid on these posts are correct. Anyways 4,5,or600 quid would be better spent on good tyres and fuel for long meaningful learning rides. Has anyone else used these cheaper versions? After all if they fail.. your steering just goes back to not having one. At the worst the fluid will leak and wont dampen. It won’t lock up..:jes it’ll just be on its lowest……NO-EST….setting. Then again if you are minted get one as they really do look classy.

Back
Top Bottom