Hard Wiring Autocom To GS

It looks very similar to the male terminal end of the fuel pump controller lead. I suspect it's a standard BuMW fitment. I do though admit that the words 'looks', 'suspect' and 'similar' are often fraught with internet induced twaddle danger.

A possible answer is to get Ocean to order one in, take it into the showroom and have a look against a bike, or yours if it is parked outside. If it's no good, stroll back to the parts department and get your money back. Look forward to the news.

I came up against the "similar" when trying to make a FPC work around cable. Plug / socket looked similar, wasn't until I had them together I noticed one was a mirror image :tears

You could take the accessory plug off the bike for a 100% confidence check when you see the dealer.

Or, ask them if they have an accessory socket in stock for 1200 GSA to compare against :)

PS While you are at it. Get rid of that dreadful Scotch connector thing.

They are the source of more trouble than a teenage daughter and can be just as lose. Pikey kids use them to join audio cables in their Vauxhall Nova slamin' machines, not neat and tidy 1200GSA owners.

Join the cable(s) with solder and shrink wrap it. The excellent thread on how to make a lead to power a Garmin shows how. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117400&highlight=zumo+lead

I did mine yesterday, and as I want to be able to disconnect things without too much fuss, I get the cable which goes directly into the aux socket (as marjorbumsore did) on the GS (don't have the P/N here, but it's different to the one which have been shown on this thread), and then some two pole AMP connectors from eBay (http://stores.ebay.de/Renzos-2-Rad-...W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ10957757QQftidZ2QQtZkm) which are chap and are working.

In general, I took the live wire from the aux cable, and the negative went to the battery, and hey I did something which actually works (and didn't break the bike).

I'm still trying to find the perfect place for the headset cable, but am trying to figure out how to have it done the same way as one see it on police bikes, which looks like being the best way... but that is for the future.

Casper

I did mine yesterday, and as I want to be able to disconnect things without too much fuss, I get the cable which goes directly into the aux socket (as marjorbumsore did) on the GS (don't have the P/N here, but it's different to the one which have been shown on this thread)

There's the danger of my 'suspecting'.

Would be handy to know the part number, if possible. Thanks.

There's the danger of my 'suspecting'.

Would be handy to know the part number, if possible. Thanks.

As far as I can see on the fliches from Max's it's P/N:

71607685624 connection cable, socket - Up to 08/2006
61127700005 connection cable, socket - 08/2006 and above

But ask for the cable which is used to add an extra power outlet socket, then you'll get the right one.

And as I'm slightly colorblind, it's the red which is the live one:(

Casper

But ask for the cable which is used to add an extra power outlet socket, then you'll get the right one.

Casper

Excellent.

Never take up work in bomb disposal.

Wow such much to catch up on. Thanks for your detailed info Wapping and everyone else, of course! I agree the scotch connectors are crap and it makes the whole thing look like an escourt! I will get that sorted. I removed that plug on the tank as you mentioned - with great difficulty - and bought some more. I will have a go later this week and see if I can feed the cable through to the dash. I visited BMW today and that cable doesn't look like it will fit - different fitting altogether - infact that ebay link "casperghst42" posted looked alot similar to the plug on my bike.

My next thought is about my iPhone or iPod. In the pocket is discreet but it's the wire that gets in the way. I like the idea of a not to big iPhone case mounted with audio and power cable ready to go.

Piggy back cable

Casper

For the latest 08 model update GS the part number is...

I've been using one for a while now, works a treat :thumb

Ordered this part for my 2008 GS

£23.74

Autocom "fix" for older 1200 GS (05)

I have had continual problems with my Autocom unit, which has never worked properly on account of numerous dealers faffing about "tidying up" the wiring and insisting that a software update will solve the problem. (Bike's computer sees unit as a fault and shuts off all power to the aux sockets.) Autocom sent me the following "fix" last year but, because I am technically inept, I had to translate it for my local dealer (Pau), who ignored it and did another software update instead. :blast Bloody thing has cost me a fortune in wasted labour ...

Anyway, for the benefit of any other poor soul who has bought an older model 1200 GS and is having the same sort of issues with their Autocom unit, here is the fix:

So the cheat wise we (Autocom) wire the live side of the comms to a blue/white wire that feeds 12v to the small bulb within the head light. We extend the power lead slightly and run it over the top of the tank and wire into loom that runs along the left hand side of the bikes headstock. The cloth outer cover is carefully cut back by around 3 inches so you can see the wiring loom. We select the blue/white wire and trim back the outer cover so around 1cm of inner wire is exposed, we wrap our wire around this and solder the connection. Once all joined up we use tape to cover the join and recover all of the wiring loom so you can tell we have been in there.

The earth is ran to the battery as some of our dealers run the earth from the back of the power socket, which if shutting down will lose the connection.

Unquote

Hopefully, Vines will finally sort the thing out when I am back in the UK at the end of April. Fingers crossed.

Anyway, for the benefit of any other poor soul who has bought an older model 1200 GS and is having the same sort of issues with their Autocom unit, here is the fix:

I installed my 200 onto my '05 GS last week, bought the BMW plug, wired the + into it and plugged it into the accessory socket to the left under the seat, the - into the battery - and all works perfectly. Easy peasy. :augie

Inspired by this thread & ph's photos, I purchased the splitter cable for the '08 model and fitted it today. Cut the meter-long tail in half & then put the positive of the autocom onto the red/green and the negative onto the other wire, solder and then covered with heat-shrink. All tucked away neatly under the tool tray & working perfectly. Interestingly, the bike only keeps it live for 60 secs after I turn off the ignition, not the 2 mins I noticed mentioned elsewhere. Then fitted the bluetooth dongle & all working very nicely.

Only thing I forgot to do was order a couple of extension leads from autocom so that I can plumb the rider & pillion leads in more neatly, but thats not urgent as the built-in cables are long enough.

Also bought the headphone adapter cable, but was a bit baffled that it didn't come with connectors for the mic, so while it lets me use my earplugs, it doesn't let me do away with the in-helmet speakers. Anyone know if autocom make a mic & helmet noise only connector without the speakers wired on? (just cutting the speakers off seems a bit ott).

Loo.

Wow such much to catch up on. Thanks for your detailed info Wapping and everyone else, of course! I agree the scotch connectors are crap and it makes the whole thing look like an escourt! I will get that sorted. I removed that plug on the tank as you mentioned - with great difficulty - and bought some more. I will have a go later this week and see if I can feed the cable through to the dash. I visited BMW today and that cable doesn't look like it will fit - different fitting altogether - infact that ebay link "casperghst42" posted looked alot similar to the plug on my bike.

My next thought is about my iPhone or iPod. In the pocket is discreet but it's the wire that gets in the way. I like the idea of a not to big iPhone case mounted with audio and power cable ready to go.

.....just to give you an early heads-up if you connect a phone or music source that is also powered from the bike you are highly likely to get whats called a "ground-loop" issue......what this means in practice is that you may get some sort of electrical whine/noise through the audio....its solved/lessened by firstly grounding directly to the battery if possibly and if that doesn't work on its own, fitting an isolator (autocomm do one that plugs in) or you can order this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46788 Also check the routing of your cabling for the autocomm power/audio leads....too close to things like ABS pumps, coils etc can cause electrical interference noise too....hope this helps.

Marc

Loolah

I think the part is "Part 1126" "Type D head loom" I picked a couple up for me and the Mrs. from Bikestop in Stevenage. Great guys, very helpful. We use duocoms ear peices with the autocomms. But.... check with them first.

wayne

Part Number: 611 323 16621 = £13.71 from BMW
Can anyone confirm this will fit the plug on the GS power socket as BMW could not confirm this?

My disappontment, Doesn't fit on a 2008 r1200gs, returning mine to the dealer for a credit to my account

Do you mean this this little monkey:

splitter.jpg

QUOTE]

And this dont fit the 1200 either...:mad:

Part Number: 611 323 16621 = £13.71 from BMW
Can anyone confirm this will fit the plug on the GS power socket as BMW could not confirm this?

A possible answer is to call upon a bit of public spirited effort from you. Ask Ocean to order one in, explaining why you want it. When it arrives, take it into the showroom and have a look against a bike, or yours if it is parked outside. If it's no good, stroll back to the parts department and get your money back.

Casper

I've been using one for a while now, works a treat :thumb

£23.74

Inspired by this thread & ph's photos, I purchased the splitter cable for the '08 model and fitted it today. Cut the meter-long tail in half & then put the positive of the autocom onto the red/green and the negative onto the other wire, solder and then covered with heat-shrink. All tucked away neatly under the tool tray & working perfectly.

My disappontment, Doesn't fit on a 2008 r1200gs, returning mine to the dealer for a credit to my account

And this dont fit the 1200 either...:mad:

To answer Wacit's and Hatchet's frustrations.

As is clear from the assorted posts, BuMW (as is their wont) changed the part number and its design.

I fitted the earlier part (shown in Hatchet's photograph) quite happily to ChasMill's vanilla 1200GS (06, I think?) where it works just as it should. Other years / models of 1200 may well require a different part number.

Go back to the dealer. Ask them to exchange the parts (assuming you have not chopped them up) and then ask the dealer to look the correct part number up on the fische.

£23.74

Here's a photo of that part numbered item - for the latest model 1200GS :thumb2

I'd like to source an appropriate blank end to fit my Autocom wires to and then just plug in, but if not I will trim the spare end and hard wire into that as some others have done. Much happier leaving the bike loom alone though being a bit of a DIY disaster area.... :D

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 11,699

Back
Top Bottom