Hard Wiring Autocom To GS

gsbiker

Reaction score
Got my Multitec helmet and speakers all fitted now. I'm planning on installing the Autocom unit under the seat unless there is a better place for it?

I'm looking through the instructions and note that the power lead has to be hard wired into a fused ignition feed. I have no GS Haynes manual and BMW would charge me £74 to do this for me. I'm willing to have a go myself, can anyone advise me how this is done please? BMW say they would wire into the side light feed but I have no idea where this wire is or where best to tape into it?

Regards
Paul.

Got my Multitec helmet and speakers all fitted now. I'm planning on installing the Autocom unit under the seat unless there is a better place for it?

I'm looking through the instructions and note that the power lead has to be hard wired into a fused ignition feed. I have no GS Haynes manual and BMW would charge me £74 to do this for me. I'm willing to have a go myself, can anyone advise me how this is done please? BMW say they would wire into the side light feed but I have no idea where this wire is or where best to tape into it?

Regards
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I installed a 300 a few weeks ago onto my GS. Having done a bit of searching here I found that wiring the positive to Fuse No. 1 and negative to the battery is best.
Fuse 1 is nearest the left hand side of the bike and running the negative to the battery gives the unit the best possible grounding and least chance of interference.

Best of luck, Rob.

Hi Paul,

I installed a 300 a few weeks ago onto my GS. Having done a bit of searching here I found that wiring the positive to Fuse No. 1 and negative to the battery is best.
Fuse 1 is nearest the left hand side of the bike and running the negative to the battery gives the unit the best possible grounding and least chance of interference.

Best of luck, Rob.

Thanks Bohsfc, can't find much on this site. maybe I'm using the wrong keywords but where is the fusebox on this bike or if it's different where is fuse No.1?

Thanks Bohsfc, can't find much on this site. maybe I'm using the wrong keywords but where is the fusebox on this bike or if it's different where is fuse No.1?

You have a 1200GS motorcycle built by BuMW.

It has no conventional fusebox.

Insert word Autcom into the Search facility.

Go through threads until something catches your eye.

Read it and act on it.

Just in case:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152130&highlight=autocom+wiring

Post no.2 from our own GSRich, who should know what he is talking about vis-a-vis a simple powering of the device.

Not quite a miracle but that's it.

No more questions.

Still more questions because I haven't had my question answered yet? OK read through that thread Wapping - helpful yes but there seems to be an expectation that you know where all the wires are before you go splicing. I haven't a clue where or what accessory socket is, unless it's the small power socket on the left side of the riders seat?

Here's a photo of my under seat area...

UnderSeat.jpg

Which lead exactly do I splice to connect the Autocom power lead to? GSrich said the red/green wire but where is that?

why not just follow Autocoms instructions and piggy back it onto the accessory socket :aidan

Hey if that works great - but where's this socket and which wire??

Photos work for me!

1200GS owner's manual.

Section 7 Accessories

Page 96 Power socket

Words and pictures.

Or if you're that paranoid / useless at wiring, just get a 90 degree powerlet plug and power the autocom from the accessory socket. Not hard wired, but who cares :)

Here's a picture.

PPL-004_p_134_webl%20sml.jpg

Where can I get one of those plugs from? Does it have to be BMW or do places like Maplins sell them?

To be honest I think I'd prefer to hard wire the thing in!!

Oceon say the've had people with problems wiring into that red/green wire. Sometimes effect the canbus and can result in bike not charging battery. Anyone hear of this?

Oceon say the've had people with problems wiring into that red/green wire. Sometimes effect the canbus and can result in bike not charging battery. Anyone hear of this?

With the plug if you think there's a problem, take the plug out and see if it's ok :)

And with the plug, you have to take it out to charge the battery through the accessory socket, what a baragin :thumb2

Where can I get one of those plugs from? Does it have to be BMW or do places like Maplins sell them?

I am not sure if you are lazy, stupid, or both. Or simply Mr Out-of-his-depth, who wishes he had never got back into the image of riding a motorcycle after 25 years.

You know what the item is called. Just employ a bit of common sense. You do a search, either on UKGSer or on Google. It's easy. You hunted out reams on HID lights, so it's much the same.

To be honest I don't think you should try doing anything. Not without a grown-up. The £74 Ocean wants looks like a bargain.

Do a search and / or contact GSRich (you have spoken to him before, remember) over your charging concerns. Another search will reveal that Autocom make a widgit that fools the Canbus sytem into not 'seeing' the Autocom when the ignition is not on, so all is well.

Better still, don't use the BuMW smart charger at all, though Ocean will be keen enough to sell you one for sure, if only to make up for the oxygen you must have used up in their showroom. Buy an Optimate and charge away with confidence, without Autocom's extra widget.

That is definitely all you now need to know on this topic.

F%$k you Wapping!! I've done loads on my RD since getting it last summer (including removing, stripping and rebuilding my gearbox/engine, brakes, master cylinder and calipers, stripped of all the panels for complete respray - basically rebuilt the bike from knowing nothing - I've learnt by asking for help when needed). So don't tell me what I can't or what I shouldn't do.

I couldn't see any obvious leads on my GS to tap into despite looking at the owners manual and Autocom instructions. And as many seem to have Autocoms, this was a good place to ask for advise. Thought this was a place where we all help each other out rather than wasting time slagging others off when questions are asked - is this a GS snobs club? if so I've come to the wrong place!!

Jeeze, for the time it takes you to type sarcastically you could write something constructive. If you can't offer anything constructive please don't reply to ANY of my posts in future - that goes to any other tosser who's of similar ilk!

I am not sure if you are lazy, stupid, or both. Or simply Mr Out-of-his-depth, who wishes he had never got back into the image of riding a motorcycle after 25 years.

You know what the item is called. Just employ a bit of common sense. You do a search, either on UKGSer or on Google. It's easy. You hunted out reams on HID lights, so it's much the same.

To be honest I don't think you should try doing anything. Not without a grown-up. The £74 Ocean wants looks like a bargain.

Do a search and / or contact GSRich (you have spoken to him before, remember) over your charging concerns. Another search will reveal that Autocom make a widgit that fools the Canbus sytem into not 'seeing' the Autocom when the ignition is not on, so all is well.

Better still, don't use the BuMW smart charger at all, though Ocean will be keen enough to sell you one for sure, if only to make up for the oxygen you must have used up in their showroom. Buy an Optimate and charge away with confidence, without Autocom's extra widget.

That is definitely all you now need to know on this topic.

OTT to say the least. Suppose to be a site to help each other.

Sorry for misleading you earlier, PH4824, about the fuse box. Should have noticed by your avatar that you have a 1200. I have an 1150 so obviously a different set up.

OTT to say the least. Suppose to be a site to help each other.

Sorry for misleading you earlier, PH4824, about the fuse box. Should have noticed by your avatar that you have a 1200. I have an 1150 so obviously a different set up.

No problem!

I must have upset wapping in a previous life cause he's none stop sarcastic like that on most of my posts! Getting fed up with it now!

F%$k you Wapping!! I've done loads on my RD since getting it last summer (including removing, stripping and rebuilding my gearbox/engine, brakes, master cylinder and calipers, stripped of all the panels for complete respray - basically rebuilt the bike from knowing nothing - I've learnt by asking for help when needed). So don't tell me what I can't or what I shouldn't do.

I couldn't see any obvious leads on my GS to tap into despite looking at the owners manual and Autocom instructions. And as many seem to have Autocoms, this was a good place to ask for advise. Thought this was a place where we all help each other out rather than wasting time slagging others off when questions are asked - is this a GS snobs club? if so I've come to the wrong place!!

Jeeze, for the time it takes you to type sarcastically you could write something constructive. If you can't offer anything constructive please don't reply to ANY of my posts in future - that goes to any other tosser who's of similar ilk!

If you had looked at the Owner's manual and / or the Autocom instructions you would have learned:

(a) Where the accessory socket was. You have had the bike for months.

(b) That there was no conventional fusebox. Ditto.

(c) Where the sub-fuses for the auxiliary lights lived.

(d) The suggested easiest way to wire the Autocom in.

You say you want to do things for yourself. That's not true. What really want is for other people to do everything for you, except wield the screwdriver. Look at your threads, every one of them is take, take, take, not one bit of contribution or anything of interest or assistance to anyone but yourself.

You have rebuilt gear boxes, brakes, master cylinders. Why not contribute towards some of the threads where other people ask for help? Surely when doing all the work you gleaned some sort of basic mechanical aptitude? Why then do you struggle with everything? Is it because you spend so long enquiring you have actually forgotten what it is you wanted to do?

Surely it's easy to work out that to get switched power to an electrical item you need to find a switched live feed? There are loads of posts, threads and websites on the subject, but you couldn't find one? Why? Apparently because you used the wrong word to search or you didn't look.

Think for yourself. What are you trying to do? What is live with the ignition?

The lighting circuit, you can't turn driving lights off, except with the ignition switch. Which wire is easy to trace? The rear light. Don't use the brake light feed, that will only power when you brake. Which of the wires? Disconnect one and find out what no longer works. What else is switched live? The accessory socket, under the seat, surely you know it's there? Which is the live wire? The one that lights a simple bulb - make a circuit tester - or flicks a volt meter.

I will reply to all and any of your questions in any style I like. You set yourself up for a pisstake. You like pictures, so you get a picture of the plug some kind soul suggested to ease your woes, it being a farly safe bet you didn't know (or couldn't imagine) what one was. Where to get one from? Why didn't you take the name, 90 degree powerlet plug, and Google it to find out where to get one from? No, it's easier to let somebody else do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom