***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Switched power - The easy way

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm going to order one now. Left the spots on AGAIN!

Switched Power Question

Hi all - with the accessory socket extender fitted and powering radios and Autocom once the ignition is on - what happen when you connect a battery charger to the accessory socket - does it Power up the Autocom and radio connected to the extension lead?

I can't BELIVE the cost of the adapter lead from BMW. So thought I'd make my own.

Does anyone know the name of the socket type used in the Aux plug or is it unique to BMW?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Assistance required

Hope you kind folks can help we wade through all this knowledge. The more of this thread I read the more confused I become.
    So, 2010 GS, just brought a set (pair) of Denali aux lights for a trip to France coming up. Seams straight forward plug and play until I get to the white “trigger” lead! It has a posi tap on the end. Where exactly does this go.
    I have no other aux stuff like sat nav plumed in, just heated grips from new!!

Hi, Just bought PROZOR Motorcycle Headlights with Switch Motorcycle Front Spotlights 2 Piece 125W 3000LM CREE U5 LED Motorcycle Fog Lights. But no where in the specs does it give what amps they draw. I want to add them to my optional socket but don't want to damage the canbus. Ill invest in that cable splitter if the lights will work with that socket. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFinnegan View Post
    Hi, Just bought PROZOR Motorcycle Headlights with Switch Motorcycle Front Spotlights 2 Piece 125W 3000LM CREE U5 LED Motorcycle Fog Lights. But no where in the specs does it give what amps they draw. I want to add them to my optional socket but don't want to damage the canbus. Ill invest in that cable splitter if the lights will work with that socket. Thanks
    Each light draws 1.25 amps to give 15 Watts per lamp.
    John Bentall

So with a limit of 5amps for the optional socket. both lamps will only draw 2.5amps. 30 Watts. So what is the significance in the description "2 Piece 125W 3000LM" . I understand the 3000 Lumins. but what of the 125 Watts , Thanks

Specification:
    Light Color: White

Input Voltage:12V-80V DC

Actual power: 15W

Light Power: 125W
    The answer is on the page.

Do be sure to disable the strobing function or bods’ll think you’re a twerp or worse.

Thanks Wapping No strobing function on mine anyway. But tell me this , is it safe to connect them into the optional aux. socket that's under the seat. ??

Is it safe?

If I understand it correctly, you simply need a live feed, presumably one that switches off, when you turn the ignition off. The under seat socket, assuming somebody didn’t wire one directly to the battery, does switch off. So that ticks that box. It won’t blow up. What length of lead do you get with these Chinese works of art, as it’s quite a long way from under the seat to the sharp end of your awesome. You may find that you’ll need to extend the leads. That in itself is not difficult.

Ah! brilliant my friend.. I'm a dab hand at most things electric, was just concerned about the canbus on the bike, extending, soldering ect. no problem to me. Thanks again. I can now proceed with confidence.

How did you get on?

Any hints and tips for anyone thinking of going the same?

I guess we’ll never know.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345