Camping food ?

w00kie

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice for someone who's done this before. Do you?

1. Cook nothing but Tea on your stove.

2. Buy provisions just when you need them (fry-up) and cook them then.

3. Have some secret ingredients that last for a week in the bottom of a pannier and cook as required.

Confused in Wicklow (the stove didn't come with a recipe book)

Tescos do a lovely range of soup in a plastic bag. Alway suseful to keep one or two in the panniers just in case. As its floppy, you can fit them in nooks and crannies in the panniers and a piece of pish to warm up - taste lovely too. :drool

All I'm taking is some Costco pancake mix, maple syrup and (real) coffee. Might go crazy and buy a bananna to have with it as a special treat...

'Boil in the bag', then use the water for a cuppa. I boil the water and cook in a tin mug, basic I know but fecking practical. Cuppa soups are the other stand by, just buy rolls whilst on the road.

visit any camping shop and go for the boil in the bag or add boiling water menu :thumb2 by fresh where and when you cantake a few herbs and spices to improve the flavour

This is a great idea for a thread:thumb Think I will buy some of the wayfarer range suggested by bobble to see me by if I forget to buy stuff on route!! Been collecting up my wee salt & peppers + sauces from the work canteen:D

Aldi do the boxes of foil wrapped cupaccino and latte' range which are handy when stopping for a quick brew, and the baxters packets of soup out the Co-op at £1.30 a shot are ace!:clap

Ok lads,whatever you will need to know about cooking and camping food ask me!!!! :augie I'm a chef and camping and cooking are my favorites hobbies :p
Anyway tesco and lidl have a lot of foods suits for cooking in camp..... I do this all the time here in ireland. And yours discussion about food make me laugh :D I can't wait to meet u all.... 9 days left :thumb

These are very filling, tasty and can be heated in a pan or chucked in a Microwave if your in a bunkhouse.

One of these and some bread is enough for an evening meal.

41-130-h-home-chicken.jpg
41-130-h-home-beefstew.jpg
41-130-h-home-lanc.jpg

:)

Ok lads,whatever you will need to know about cooking and camping food ask me!!!! :augie I'm a chef and camping and cooking are my favorites hobbies :p
Anyway tesco and lidl have a lot of foods suits for cooking in camp..... I do this all the time here in ireland. And yours discussion about food make me laugh :D I can't wait to meet u all.... 9 days left :thumb

So, what's your packing list for the camp kitchen?

One meal which I want to try on a trip is Mussels in a white wine sauce. :drool Its simple to do at home and I can't see any reason why it can't be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
  • Get a bag of live Mussels or pick your own
  • Clean the Mussel shells, rip off the "beards" and bang them in a saucepan.
  • Pour in say half a mug of dry white wine
  • Cover the saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for say 5 mins - by now the smell is fantastic. :drool
  • Chuck any Mussels that have not opened - they're dead
  • Pour most of the boiled wine back in to the mug - but leave the screggs (grit etc) at the bottom of the sauepan and discard it
  • Pour the wine back into the saucepan (still with the Mussels in it) and
  • Add a small carton of fresh double cream and a squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own)
  • Stir and gently re-heat
  • Pour the lot into a deep bowl and
  • Scoff with fresh buttered bread and the rest of the white wine.
If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 20 minutes, you've done something wrong. :D

One meal which I want to try on a trip is Mussels in a white wine sauce. :drool Its simple to do at home and I can't see any reason why it can't be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
  • Get a bag of live Mussels or pick your own
  • Clean the Mussel shells, rip off the "beards" and bang them in a saucepan.
  • Pour in say half a mug of dry white wine
  • Cover the saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for say 5 mins - by now the smell is fantastic. :drool
  • Chuck any Mussels that have not opened - they're dead
  • Pour most of the boiled wine back in to the mug - but leave the screggs (grit etc) at the bottom of the sauepan and discard it
  • Pour the wine back into the saucepan (still with the Mussels in it) and
  • Add a small carton of fresh double cream and a squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own)
  • Stir and gently re-heat
  • Pour the lot into a deep bowl and
  • Scoff with fresh buttered bread and the rest of the white wine.
If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 20 minutes, you've done something wrong. :D

Hey Taff....tell us more, I'm interested in more good tips on good food and getting girls pants off:D:D:D and not necessarily in that order! Together is sometimes fine as well:green gri

Hey Taff....tell us more, I'm interested in more good tips on good food and getting girls pants off:D:D:D and not necessarily in that order! Together is sometimes fine as well:green gri

This might work :augie

Banana flakes

4 bananas
4 cadburys flakes

Start to slice your banana in half across its middle, but make sure you don't cut right through
Snap flake in half, and carefully push each half down the middle of each banana handle
Lots of banana flesh will burst out-ignore it
And if the skin splits here & there, don't worry
Manoeuvre the banana halves back together as best you can. Wrap snugly in tinfoil.
Put the bananas in the fire for about 5 minutes
Unwrap and scoop out the gooey, chocolately mess with abandon

Works best with open fire but have also cooked these on bbq, in oven, on stove etc

From the 'Cool Camping' cookbook which is great

Tip- if you can still find them, use old 35mm film canisters for herbs & spices :thumb2

I always take pasta and rice as this goes with pretty much anything, is easy to store and fills you up with minimum of fuss.

I'm looking for some advice for someone who's done this before. Do you?

1. Cook nothing but Tea on your stove.

2. Buy provisions just when you need them (fry-up) and cook them then.

3. Have some secret ingredients that last for a week in the bottom of a pannier and cook as required.

Confused in Wicklow (the stove didn't come with a recipe book)

Last time I camped (in France), my evening meals mainly comprised a bottle of wine (yes, just for me!), a loaf of bread and some local cheese ... the stove was used to boil the water for the very necessary morning cup of real coffee :thumb and another cup of coffee (real!) along with my daily chocolate ration around lunch time. Occasionally I cooked pasta.

I bought these daily while travelling ... and went to a restaurant when the meat craving became too strong. What could go wrong?

Back
Top Bottom