EQUIPMENT

Major Gadget

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
God it's gone quiet recently, so here goes.......

MY NEW STUFF

TENT.

P1010155.jpg

It's a Shangrila-3, shown packed with the Groundsheet against the Outwell Arizona L Tent I used on Italia 08

P1010161.jpg

you first peg out the Bathtub Groundsheet.

P1010163.jpg

Then erect the tent over it using the same pegs.

AIRBED

The Gelert Backpacking one shown against the Exped 9DLX i used on Italia 08

P1010157.jpg

Airbed unrolled

P1010164.jpg

SLEEPING BAG

P1010156.jpg

On the left a Snugpak Traveller with sewn in Mosquito Net against the Snugpak Chrysallis I used on Italia 08

P1010165.jpg

Laid out on the Airbed

P1010166.jpg

The Mosquito Net that zips around the head.

P1010167.jpg

If the weather is bad you can just sit in the chair that I have inside the tent.

P1010169.jpg

All 4 items packed up and sitting on my camping table

P1010176.jpg

All 4 items in my 38 Litre Pannier.

STOVES

P1010177.jpg

The multifuel Stove on the right that I bought on Ebay for £30 inc P&P, and the Honey Stove I bought in the UK for £34.

P1010171.jpg

Storage bags unpacked.

P1010179.jpg

The Multifuel Working and using unleaded

P1010173.jpg

Using Butane

P1010174.jpg

The Honey Stove erected and Complete with a Trangia Meths burner

P1010181.jpg

With the Trangia Gas Burner Adaptor. If you run out of fuel you can use twigs that are lying around, I have made myself a cup of Tea using twigs.

P1010182.jpg

Some other Goodies I have bought. Next to the Gas Container.

Fold up feet for the container.
Markhill adaptor for Resealable Camping Gas containers.
Markhill adaptor for Pierceable Camping Gas containers.
Toasting Fork.

I feel a lot better now.

:Motomartin

Small is beau' Chair gets a big thumbs up too:thumb
Number of times I've zonked in my chair after a days ride......excellent.

gordo'

camping kit

Iam glad to see the smaller kit ken.
Picking your bike up will be alot easier now.

Campfires

Tastes much nicer using simple tea bags.

I think you've probably misread the crumpled up bag. It's actually Twinings

So much for my Ray Mears impression. My life is now in Tatters :blast

Ahh yes. The great wilderness of mainland europe where only the hardy survive. :D

All I can say is look at the ' camps' around Calais they're all trying to escape from Europe into the UK. It must be BAD in there.:rob

Equipment

To get back to the Equipment theme.....

Ken, Thanks for the pictures and and the PM Exchange and I thought I'd reply here to share some thoughts.

As I said in the PM I'm on the lookout for a light tent, but like you do not fancy crawling into some low tent that has little space and I am hardly able to sit up in. Also, I don't fancy taking my Halfords tent which is heavy may not be the most robust.

I have to say I did not take your tipi option too seriously when I first saw the pictures, it seemed a step back to the bell tents I used to sleep in for scout camps as a lad, but have now had proper a look at your GoLite Shangri-La 3 on the web and read a few reviews and am thinking again.....

It seems a clever combination of hi-tech materials in a simple proven design. I see you have gone for the main GoLite Shangri-La 3 Outer tent and the groundsheet. I am thinking of going for the GoLite Shangri-La 3 outer but adding the GoLite Shangri-La 3 Nest, which seems to include the groundsheet but has a mesh similar to an inner tent. One of the sites, ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk are doing a deal on the Outer and Nest ordered together, though still more than I was planning to spend. I'll have a look around when I'm in Germany next week before finally deciding, but the idea of being able to put all the camping stuff for the trip in my smaller TT case, is quite appealing.

I'm interested in your dual fuel cooker too, and see some similar ones on e-bay. I'm used to the old fashion camping gas ones which need to be pierced...and are a bit bulky. I suspect I'll only take one stove though, why would you take 2 stoves when someone else in the party has a spare :augie. It would be good to run off unleaded as that's not normally too hard to get hold of, so will keep an eye out on ebay for something suitable. I expect to be carrying a TT 2L fuel can, so being able to use petrol would be an advantage and save carrying gas. However I see you have the fuel in a metal fuel cannister, and maybe I need 2 1L metal ones instead of the 2L plastic container.

I'm also like the idea of a chair. Do you plan to take it this time now you are going ultra light? It looks like it will still be quite large folded and it would seem a pity to have to strap a chair on, if you got everything else in the pannier. Is it a specific make, aluminium I suppose, as I have what looks like similar chairs in my campervan but would think them too big to drag across Europe on the bike.

Anyway, thanks again for the post. As accomodation in B&Bs seems a bit tricky to get maybe more will consider the camping option. Come and join us!

I'll have a root around in camping and bike shops in Germany next week and update this post later when I've come to some conclusions. Cheers Jim

Equipment

Hi Jim, I also checked out the reviews before I bought the Shangrila-3 and the only negative things written were that when raining water could get into the Tipi when entering and exiting it which is the same for all Tipi's.One reviewer also complained that you needed an area of 4 Metres square to erect it, but I needed far more than that to erect my Arizona L.

I also considered buying the inner tent with the no-seeum mesh, but after talking with a guy whose daughter used this tent in Croatia last year I decided against it. She used a Mosquito Repellant for Materials made by Nikwax who make the the Clothes Wash, she sprayed it on the inside of the tent and had no problems.It is supposed to provide protection up to 6 Months.You of course can also spray it on your clothes.I am also taking a Sleeping Bag that has a sewn in Mosquito Net.

I take 2 Stoves because the Honey stove measures about 125mm.X 125mmX .7mm. and weighs Grammes,and can be pushed down anywhere if necessary.I have found it helpful to have 2 stoves on the go when cooking something like Spaghetti Bolognese, as you can have both ingredients ready at the same time.

I find being able to sit in a good chair with Back support after a day in the saddle is important at my time of life and this is one thing I won't compromise on, having camped in the past and used a milking stool, that is one aching holiday I won't go through again. I would like a Kermit Chair, but I just can't justify that sort of expense at the moment.

All the best Ken. :Motomartin

Back
Top Bottom