Camping Bookings Progress

(RIP) Rivendell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just a quick update:-

I spoke to the 5 guys who are down for Hotels etc and I am confident (with crossed fingers) that they will be joining us hardy campers.
On that basis I been in touch with all the listed sites and have confirmations for approx 12 pitches at Mittenwald, Trieste, Vienna and Split (2 nights).
Sites at Prague and Zagreb have yet to get back to me.
Now that we know where we will be I can check what local Hotels etc are available for those who would prefer an occasional (or frequent) bit of luxury. Some of the sites have Cabins etc which could be available.
Hopefully Jim has had some joy with the Mainz site for those camping on first night.
I am leaving the next to last night (colditz area) until we have the route details.
So hopefully we have one main group wth Stevo,Hayley,Charley and Ruth shadowing and joining whenever possible.

Roll on July :beerjug:

David

Nice one David :thumb

Its all coming together nicely :augie

Just had an email from P&O confirming they have all the names and reg numbers :Motomartin

Nice one David:thumb,

I am in the process of trying to book up hotels for both Charlie,Ruth & Hayley and myself (the couples)

When i get firm responses i'll list exact hotels, so any occassional hotel people can contact direct if they so desire.

watch this space.

Stevo

Camping Mainz - Hi, a short reply from the ferry(slow network response).

There should be no problem with camping in Mainz. I was asking the site owners for space for 5 bikes and 5 tents though, but I still believe it will be OK for a larger group. Will update the thread more tomorrow, but I suggest we use a central Mainz site which would allow you to walk into the centre of city (20-25mins) as opposed to the original site a few miles away in Mainz Laubenheim. This would allow us to all meet up for a joint meal in Mainz in the evening if we wished to do that. More anon. Cheers Jim

Camping Gear

As some of the guys are going to be looking to buy a bit of camping gear it would be really helpful if someone who has been on one of the previous trips (or one similar) could provide some insight into what type of camping to expect.
For example, there seems little point in spending big bucks on a Multifuel stove if we are going to spend most evenings eating in Tavernas.
However, I would spend money on a good mattress and sell it after rather than have uncomfortable nights.

Any thoughts?

As some of the guys are going to be looking to buy a bit of camping gear it would be really helpful if someone who has been on one of the previous trips (or one similar) could provide some insight into what type of camping to expect.
For example, there seems little point in spending big bucks on a Multifuel stove if we are going to spend most evenings eating in Tavernas.
However, I would spend money on a good mattress and sell it after rather than have uncomfortable nights.

Any thoughts?

Last year i just took a cheap gas stove + a couple of spare canisters.
We ate out most evenings,but it was handy for hot drinks, breakfast,etc.
I also took a cheap airbed + a three season sleeping bag,which done the
job.

Mainz Campsite.

I would suggest that you use this Mainz City site

http://www.krkg.de/

which is close to the centre of the city. I went to the site on Monday and they say no need for a booking for bikes in July and they will be able to take 5 bikes and 5 tents no problem. The site is on the Rhein and it is just over 20 mins walk to the city centre over a bridge and probably about 30 mins to the IBIS hotel.

The original campsite in Mainz-Laubenheim

http://www.camping-doering.de/

is 4 miles south of the city centre, again on the Rhein. I went to that one too and made a provisional booking, leaving my name and number. If you decide against this one I will cancel this booking.

Both sites are small but fine, however (although I am not camping in Mainz) then I would go for the http://www.krkg.de/ one for the convenience of being able to walk. Please let me know your preferences, and I'll confirm dates and numbers by email to the relevant site.

Mainz Campsite.

I would suggest that you use this Mainz City site

http://www.krkg.de/

which is close to the centre of the city. I went to the site on Monday and they say no need for a booking for bikes in July and they will be able to take 5 bikes and 5 tents no problem. The site is on the Rhein and it is just over 20 mins walk to the city centre over a bridge and probably about 30 mins to the IBIS hotel.

The original campsite in Mainz-Laubenheim

http://www.camping-doering.de/

is 4 miles south of the city centre, again on the Rhein. I went to that one too and made a provisional booking, leaving my name and number. If you decide against this one I will cancel this booking.

Both sites are small but fine, however (although I am not camping in Mainz) then I would go for the http://www.krkg.de/ one for the convenience of being able to walk. Please let me know your preferences, and I'll confirm dates and numbers by email to the relevant site.

I think this is one for Major Gadget, Chubs, Paul, Fuddy and Gordo to call
If I wasn,t sleeping in a nice comfy bed that night my vote would be to follow your recommendation.

David

I will not be going to the Mainz campsite we used last year. As far as I know Paul had found another campsite we can use.

Cheers Ken.

I think this is one for Major Gadget, Chubs, Paul, Fuddy and Gordo to call
If I wasn,t sleeping in a nice comfy bed that night my vote would be to follow your recommendation.

David

Yep, have pm'd Jim, agreeing with his choice. Make the most of that comfy bed for the ONE night! It's under canvas after that.:bounce1

Happy to go with the flow for the Mainz campsite.

As for recommending camping bits....well the list can be exhaustive, but it's the simple things that can make some difference:

Small amount of string + clothes pegs to dry clothes
Decent, STRONG tent pegs for when the ground is solid
Couple of tins of fruit with self opening lids for that 3am mouth wash !
Torch which straps round ya heeeeed
Old mobile phone with spare batteries.....
Avon 'skin-so-soft'.......keeps the midgies etc at bay
A handy bog roll for those OMG moments !!! .. any colour will do.
Thermorest, or similar, self inflating mattress.
Spare tent pole and/or repair kit
Aluminium chair.....it's already been discussed.....A MUST.

shed load more no doubt.....just some of the things that came straight to me.

Which one was that Ken?
Brett

I think it was the Mainz-Laubenheim. The woman who ran the site was so miserable,and unhelpful especially when I went there later in the year that I just found somewhere else to stay.

Cheers Ken.

Make the most of that comfy bed for the ONE night! It's under canvas after that.:bounce1

Not necessarily:-

Guten Abend. Haben Sie ein Zimmer für die Nacht, bitte?
Buona sera. Avete una camera per la notte, per favore?
Dobra večer. Imate li sobu za noć, molim te?
Dobrý večer. Máte pokoj na noc, prosím

(Google Language tools - magic :type)

Admittedly the rest of the conversation requires loudly spoken English and a lot of mime but by that stage should be checking out the en-suite facilities!:)

Another update:-

The campsite in Prague have now confirmed availabilty, however they are normally full at that time of year so I have booked for 12 tents. If anyone books a hotel for that night please pm me so that I can adjust the numbers.

With regard to the Colditz stop, I have been in touch with www.campingplatz-colditz.de and made a provisional booking. It is within walking distance of town so would keep us all together at night.
Please check it out and let me know if you want me to confirm with them.

All the sites which Bryn kindly listed for us are now either booked or have confirmed availability.
The site in Trieste came back to me with a silly price for the night so I have asked them to reduce the cost by allowing us to pitch 2 tents on each placement.
Once I have this info I will post up a full list of the site costings.

David

Back
Top Bottom