Thanks Richie

Gecko, ?????? in the red top (sorry, forgot your name :doh ), Rabittson and Richie, amongst others :D .

Attachments

• richielunchgeckorabbitson.jpg
    richielunchgeckorabbitson.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 113
GSPeP said:
Just got a phone call from home: the thunder came by mail today :( :mad: in form of a letter that I drove too fast.

I'll have a look at it this evening and let you guys know what's in there.

Jezz Peter That was bloody quick. They normally take weeks to send them. Maybe it was from an earlier indiscretion.....before paying it maybe wait and see if me and Rabbitson get anything too because there is no way they can prove who was speeding if there are 3 bikes in the picture.

Rabbitson said:
Bad News there then Peter, I was hoping it was the weather as Gecko suggested!

Regarding the weather, it was fine until I got to North Brabant then it started hailing like crazy and along came a really strong wind for about ten minutes (I kid you not, I have never seen anything like it in Europe). Then it suddenly stopped and nothing else happened, very bizarre. Unfortunately during this time I needed to go across a long bridge, which was pretty frightening.

Made it home safe anyway and was glad to just veg-out on the sofa after a long weekend!!

Nice time though. See you guys again soon.

Glad to hear you made it back OK. I bet that last bit of weather got the wind up you :D
By the way I still don't understand why you headed for Rotterdam just south of Antwerp - the way you went takes you through the Toll tunnel whereas if you had kept following me you go through the free tunnel and follow the Antwerp ring around and it leads you straight onto the Breda road....never mind you made it back which is the main thing.
Let us know if you have any unwanted mail from the Belgium flashers :p Hopefully we'll see you for a beer at Easter. I may have a spare tent. It depends if Mrs Gecko makes her mind up and comes with us or not. If I bring my large tent with 2 sleeping compartments you are welcome to one if it isn't in use. I'll let you know nearer the time .
Cheers
Gecko

Gecko,

Don't talk to me about the Antwerp ring road, you were right following signs to Rotterdam wasn't the correct choice. Not only did I have to pay, but the road didn't even seem to be finished! So I had to turn back and follow Breda anyway in the end!!

As you can see I haven't had good experiences with the Antwerp ring road so far!

It seemed like a good idea to follow signs to Rotterdam at the time, but with hindsight it was a blunder!

Thanks for the possible tent offer, let me know. I would like to show at Kasterlee, but as it's the weekend before the marathon, I'll probably have to do like two half days and one night or something as I need to train a bit that weekend and watch my drinking a bit.

P.S. Richie, what do you think of the Kanon bier? It's a bit of an acquired taste and should only be drunk VERY cold :D

David

Sorry to hear that David....I tried to slow down but you were slowed down for the filter lane already and I had a car bearing down on me so I couldn't signal you. Next time you'll stay on the BREDA road :D ....and isn't it time to invest in a GPS. That hand scrawled bit of paper stuck on your tank with cling film and sellotape was very.....erm.......blue peter ;)

I know, my route planning does leave a lot to be desired doesn't it! You might have a point about the GPS but I can't really afford it at the moment. One of those GPS 5 cheaper ones that Richie mentioned might be a good option at some stage though.

Thanks for the guide to Antwerp though, at least I got about halfway to Holland without getting lost, god knows where I would've ended up if I hadn't been following you guys!

You could sell a kidney ....that shoudl get you enough for a new 2610 :D ....no the GPSV is a great bit of kit - that's what we used to get us out of France ......in the end . You may have thanked us a bit prematurly if you get one of those fines landing on your doormat :(

Gecko said:
Jezz Peter That was bloody quick. They normally take weeks to send them. Maybe it was from an earlier indiscretion.....before paying it maybe wait and see if me and Rabbitson get anything too because there is no way they can prove who was speeding if there are 3 bikes in the picture.
It is bloody quick indeed (They used a 'Prior' stamp on the letter;) ). It's the one from sunday evening: E17 at Kruishoutem (km 33,2) direction Antwerp 19:01h - 139 kmh where only 120 kmh is allowed.

139 kmh ? I'll have to check the tracklog on my GPS.

According the new listing for traffic offences, it should be 150,- EUR if you drive between 10 an 20 kmh faster as allowed. I'll have to wait and see :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bollox !!! No way were we doing 139 at that point - it was just after we passed the accident so we were only just speeding up again and there was a Renault Scenic in front of me and he wasn't speeding up hardly at all....I remember glancing at my speedo a split second after the flash (as one does) and it indicated about 130 maybe 135 and the speedo is about 10 over the GPS speed so maybe 125 at the max.....!
I didn't have anything similar in the mail at home today so I guess if there is nothing tomorrow it's only Peter who they got. Sorry mate - What a bummer :(

GSPeP said:
It is bloody quick indeed (They used a 'Prior' stamp on the letter;) ). It's the one from sunday evening: E17 at Kruishoutem (km 33,2) direction Antwerp 19:01h - 139 kmh where only 120 kmh is allowed.

139 kmh ? I'll have to check the tracklog on my GPS.

According the new listing for traffic offences, it should be 150,- EUR if you drive between 10 an 20 kmh faster as allowed. I'll have to wait and see :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think you have some 40 witnesses that you were NEVER there !!:D So it can't be you !!

I did some checking on the track from the GPS:

The location of the flash was a bit more than 2 km before a gas station, because a few hundred meters after the flash I saw the sign "2 km to next gas station". I remember it was at a bridge the flash hit us. and at that distance there are only two bridges.

- At the first bridge the GPS track says 135 kmh
- At the second bridge the GPS track says 139 kmh

So, I think we were indeed driving a little bit too fast.

I did notice that every time we went on the fast lane to overtake some cars, our speed went up a bit. However, most of the time we were driving between 120 and 130 kmh

I don't think Rabbitson will be on the picture, because he was reasonably far behind me when the flash hit us. He would have had enough time to slow down a bit.

Gecko: wasn't it somewhere in the middle between the road works and the accident that the flash hit us?

OK, nothing to do about it. Now it's just waiting to see how much this wil cost me. :(

Better late than never...

Finally liberated my digital camera from the locked bike with the missing key and so why not indulge in a bit of reminiscing...

Starting with this artistic number, entitled 'Windmill & Oblertone'

Attachments

• entente_oblertone.jpg
    entente_oblertone.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 80

Back
Top Bottom