Vodaphone roaming + Insurance

Deleted Account 180923001

Reaction score
Just a couple of misc. items:

Insurance:
From the countries that we're visiting, the only countries that aren't in the EU are Croatia and Bosnia. Depending on what you want to do, or what cover you already have, you may need to check with your insurance company about a Green Card for those 2 countries. I've got one for Croatia but Equity Red Star (via Carole Nash) wont cover me for Bosnia. Option, for me, is to buy the cover on the border or ride up to Zagreb without leaving Croatia. The Green Card cover is only 3rd party.

Roaming:
From the 1st June for 3months, Vodaphone are scrapping there roaming call charges. ie. the calls you make abroad will be the same as if you were in the UK............for 35 countries only, but all the countries we're visiting are listed. Link is below. Today, I've bought a Vodaphone sim card for a fiver, which included £5 credit !!! ...and stuck it in my phone. If you're doing the same, make sure your phone is unlocked so it'll accept the vodaphone sim card and ensure you apply for a Vodaphone passport.........basically, you text PASSPORT to their 2345 telephone number which then allows you to roam. It also means, calls from the UK to the mobile wont be charged for receiving a call.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispat...eLabel=templateBlank&pageID=OS_0099&WT.srch=1

cheers

gordo'

Just a couple of misc. items:

Insurance:
From the countries that we're visiting, the only countries that aren't in the EU are Croatia and Bosnia. Depending on what you want to do, or what cover you already have, you may need to check with your insurance company about a Green Card for those 2 countries. I've got one for Croatia but Equity Red Star (via Carole Nash) wont cover me for Bosnia. Option, for me, is to buy the cover on the border or ride up to Zagreb without leaving Croatia. The Green Card cover is only 3rd party.

Roaming:
From the 1st June for 3months, Vodaphone are scrapping there roaming call charges. ie. the calls you make abroad will be the same as if you were in the UK............for 35 countries only, but all the countries we're visiting are listed. Link is below. Today, I've bought a Vodaphone sim card for a fiver, which included £5 credit !!! ...and stuck it in my phone. If you're doing the same, make sure your phone is unlocked so it'll accept the vodaphone sim card and ensure you apply for a Vodaphone passport.........basically, you text PASSPORT to their 2345 telephone number which then allows you to roam. It also means, calls from the UK to the mobile wont be charged for receiving a call.

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispat...eLabel=templateBlank&pageID=OS_0099&WT.srch=1

cheers

gordo'

It's a strange world. I'm also insured via Carole Nash (nice girl) but with Groupama Ins. I've been told they'll green card me for both Croatia and Bosnia.

Before reading this post, I called BMW Motorrad Insurance (Devitts) today to discuss the green card. NIG underwrites their policy.

From what they said, seems that the green card only EU + Croatia, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. Didn't think to ask about Bosnia, however it seems likely that the green card won't cover that area. Looks like I'll be doing a u-turn at the border too. :blast

Thanks for the Vodaphone news - looks like the best way to keep in touch during the trip. :thumb

Gordo, Thanks for the Vodafone tip, I've ordered my free SIM and will use that in my spare phone for the trip.

On insurance, I am also with Carole Nash with cover from Norwich Union. I checked with Carole this morning and they claim I have full cover for Croatia and Bosnia included. I perhaps should have asked if they would provide a green card as well but can do that later.

BMW Motorrad Insurance confirmed that insurance doesn't cover Bosnia - apparently because there's no repatriation agreement for bikes or people???:blast

Looks like I'll have to backtrack through Croatia

BMW Motorrad Insurance confirmed that insurance doesn't cover Bosnia - apparently because there's no repatriation agreement for bikes or people???:blast

Looks like I'll have to backtrack through Croatia

It's not going to be a problem....there's a route which runs parallel to the Bosnian border while keeping us in Croatia, heading up towards Zagreb. No worries.
A physical bit of green paper with the insurance info. is helpful....incase you're asked to produce it. Might just save a bit of cash from having to buy 3rd party cover in country.

I will be going the indirect route.

400km from Split to Zagreb staying in Croatia

465km from Split to Zagreb riding through Bosnia.

I'll personally be going through Bosnia. At the meeting it was discussed and the bottom line is it could be the highlight of the trip.

So I will definately be up for the day trip into Bosnia - after all i'm not riding all that way just to miss it out.

I'll just try not to crash :thumb2and look forward to meeting up in Zagreb for a beer or two:beerjug:

400km from Split to Zagreb staying in Croatia

465km from Split to Zagreb riding through Bosnia.

I'll personally be going through Bosnia. At the meeting it was discussed and the bottom line is it could be the highlight of the trip.

So I will definately be up for the day trip into Bosnia - after all i'm not riding all that way just to miss it out.

I'll just try not to crash :thumb2and look forward to meeting up in Zagreb for a beer or two:beerjug:

Count me in stevo.

Bosnian Border

Does anyone know the cost of getting the third party insurance at the Croatian/Bosnian border. I ask, as my insurance is due before we travel and a couple of companies will issue green cards for Bosnia,(Groupama,Zenith) but they are slightly more than existing insurer (nig). As stevo said I think the main trick will be not to have any incidents on that day!
Cheers
Brett

Back
Top Bottom