Sheep-shit on my helmet - tales from the trails

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
The official Llangollen trail rides appeaing a little over-subscribed, a small group of us set off early on Saturday moring to ride a 90 mile loop to the south of Llangollen. This was a modified vesion of Timpo's 2007 trail ride.

The riders were:

• Simon Jarvis (Jarv)
  • Matt Rockall (Ming)
  • Martin Nelhams
  • Mike Fisk
  • Me
on 3 KTMs, a Beta and a Husaberg.

An quick 5-minutes break where I first discovered sheep-shit on my helmet. Thanks for the roosting Matt!

IMG_0087.jpg

Matt discovered he was getting HT voltage through the bars!

:eek:

A detailed examination of the electrics followed. Mike, Simon and Martin carefully supervise. A length of tape and rerouting of the throttle cable sort the problem.

IMG_0088.jpg

When I failed to jump a deep hole, carnage broke out behind with Mike and Martin both going down. Much piss-taking then ensued as Martin attempted to remove his bike from the same hole:

IMG_0089.jpg

Wheel spinning didn't help:

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

We struggled to believe that the right-of-way ran through the immaculate garden of this family home, but it did! We all avoided the temptation of chewing up the owner's lawn:

IMG_0092.jpg

Matt:

IMG_0093.jpg

Martin:

IMG_0094.jpg

Simon (now without his handbar-mounted GPS!):

IMG_0095.jpg

Mike:

IMG_0096.jpg

Simon demonstrates river-bank cresting:

IMG_0097.jpg

and back:

IMG_0098.jpg

Matt does the same:

IMG_0099.jpg

and back:

IMG_0100.jpg

A leg down from Mike saves him from disaster:

IMG_0101.jpg

Martin's turn:

IMG_0102.jpg

Oh dear! :blast

IMG_0103.jpg

Simon offers advice:

IMG_0104.jpg

Simon says "Wheelie it out of the river bed":

IMG_0105.jpg

Martin admits defeat and turns the bike for the easier bank:

IMG_0106.jpg

and rides out:

IMG_0107.jpg

Simon heads back to look for Matt:

IMG_0108.jpg

Matt emerges:

IMG_0109.jpg

and then Simon:

IMG_0110.jpg

All in all, a great day's ride even if a couple of us were bolloxed at the end!

Greg

Despite the weather forecast it looks like you had a grand day for it Greg. :thumb2

Friday's light rain kept the trail-dust down, it wasn't too hot and hardly any rain for the ride.

The weather was perfect!

:thumb2

Greg

Friday's light rain kept the trail-dust down, it wasn't too hot and hardly any rain for the ride.

The weather was perfect!

Greg

I live just up the road from Llangollen, I set off at 9am & got back home at 7pm. As I put the bike away it stated hailing! :eek:

Superb weather all day despite that. :thumb2

The DR didn't need too long on the jet wash either - result.

8.jpg

Nice!:thumb2
Glad to see you got that far South from Llangollen.
Your dead right about the garden, it's really smart but true enough, it's a county road.
The Bombhole is the trail where your going up the bank. The bank was cut with spade and pick to allow bikes to scale the face, as some people were having difficulty getting around/over the tree roots at the side...... right Gaz?:augie. It's hard to imagine that there was a packhorse bridge there once......:rob

Timpo.

Nice!:thumb2
as some people were having difficulty getting around/over the tree roots at the side...... right Gaz?:augie.

Like Meatloaf said "2 out of 3 ain't bad"
Falls that is :blast

But I never actually fell in the hole, unlike certain Scousers ... :augie

Anyway Greg, you were right to avoid the GS offroad rides, you'd have been bored on the pogos. We had quite a slow day, but still lively, though not as much as HT through the bars:eek

More pictures from Ming:

Martin recovering from the bombhole:

17May2009-Llangollen1.jpg

Jarv:

17May2009-Llangollen2.jpg

Jarv:

17May2009-Llangollen3.jpg

Greg

Next time mate i'm going to make sure i've got my camera with me!! Thanks for arranging the day, fun had by all.

Back
Top Bottom