USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port

NeilF

Reaction score
officially THE best place to live . . . . Wokingha
Hi

Since running Paretologic's DriverCure (which scans your pc and then goes off to download for you the latest drivers) whenever I insert a USB device (memory stick, camera, or Garmin 2610!) I keep getting the error message balloon "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device"

How the heck do I fix this?

Screenshot attached, if it helps.

Cheers,

Neil.

Right click on my computer>properties>device manager ...click on the + next to universal serial bus controllers>root hub>right click>properties and check out all the tabs, make adjustments as required, click ok, repeat same for all hubs.:thumb

:type:hide

Hi

You may have a genuine hardware problem that a driver change has revealed or you may have simply corrupted a driver.

You dont say what operating system you are using. As I have Windows XP I will give instructions for that. Vista will be similar. I am assuming you have internet access from you PC (since you posted here).

Log on with administrator rights, Get to the device manager. For example control panel -> system -> hardware ->device manager.

You will see a list of device types. The bottom one is Universal Serial Bus controllers. Expand the twisty and see if any of the listed USB devices has an exclamation mark against it. If any have right click on it and chose uninstall. Then reboot. Windows should automatically install the correct driver.

If all are clear of exclamation marks then you need to figure out which one is the USB device giving you problems. Right click on each in turn and chose update driver. Windows will check that the driver is correct.

If all are correct right click on each in turn and chose disable. When the relevant USB port stops working you have found the driver (dont do this if your keyboard and/or mouse are connected by USB).

Then right click on the relevant entry and chose properties, then click on the troubleshooter button in the centre of the screen and follow the instructions.

Steve

Thanks Steve

It is WinXP I'm using.

I've tried all your suggestions but still get the balloon warning message.

Nothing actually changes on the Device Manager display, but when I click on the balloon message and then click on Reset in the subsequent window, the USB port shown (in the same list format as in the Device Manager window) has a yellow question mark against it and is labelled "unknown USB device".
If I don't go through the "reset" process and try to reinsert a USB memory stick I get two "unknown USB devices" with yellow question marks against them!

? ? ?

Hi

Can I just summarise where we are to check my understanding. If any statement is not true either correct it or carry out the relevant test.

1.You are using Windows XP.
2. Device manager shows no USB devices with a problem (i.e. no exclamation marks)
3. Every USB device driver is current according to Windows update.
4. You have deleted and reinstalled the device driver for the problem device using Windows update
5. Inserting any USB device into any of your USB slots gives the error message "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device".
6. If you click on this error message the USB device you insert is not recognised (you get unknown USB device)
7. The USB devices work correctly on another computer.

Assuming all this is true I would try this, which I got off the web.

"To work around this issue, disable the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller.

Note When you disable the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller, you lose USB 2.0 functionality. That is, you revert to USB 1.1 functionality.

To disable the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller, follow these steps: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage. 2. Under Computer Management (Local), click Device Manager. 3. In the Device Manager pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. 4. Right-click the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller, and then click Disable.

Note The name of the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller may vary. 5. When you receive the confirmation message, click Yes."

1.You are using Windows XP.
2. Device manager shows no USB devices with a problem (i.e. no exclamation marks)
3. Every USB device driver is current according to Windows update.
4. You have deleted and reinstalled the device driver for the problem device using Windows update.
Correct.

5. Inserting any USB device into any of your USB slots gives the error message "A USB device has malfunctioned and exceeded the power limits of its hub port. You should disconnect the device".
The main slot used is the USB port on the front of the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop: other USB ports are to the rear, and are currently supporting DeskJet printer, Logitech wireless mouse & keyboard, Logitech joystick, iPod docking station. So not true to say "any USB device in any USB slot . . ."

6. If you click on this error message the USB device you insert is not recognised (you get unknown USB device)
7. The USB devices work correctly on another computer.
Correct.

Assuming all this is true I would try this . . .
"To work around this issue, disable the USB 2.0-enhanced host controller.
I've raised a fault ticket with ParetoLogic and so far sent them a logfile and screen shot of the warning balloon.

Thanks so far, Steve.

Hi

I dont think the fault is anything to do with Paretologic.

It looks like an incompatability between your Dell hardware and the latest Windows USB 2.0 driver. From the brief look I have had on the web it appears that this is a reasonably common problem and the usual result is that the computer manufacturer and Microsoft blame each other and the user doesn't get a solution.

The fix I posted should solve the problem.

Stve

Hi again

It is also possible that everything is working perfectly and you simply have too many USB devices connected at once. Try disconnecting a few and see if the issue goes away.

Steve

HI there,
After reading this i couldnt help but trying to help. i have a garmin navigator V and for the last few days, i dont know if it was a windows 10 update or something with the garmin itself. So i bought a (for me) USB A to Micro B Y-Cable which provides 2 USB "A" Male connectors and 1 USB micro "B" Male connector, provides the additional power required by some Micro USB external devices..................... BANG IT WORKED FIRST TIME.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom