Detailed mapping of Spain

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone have, or know where I can get, detailed mapping (similar to OS 1:50,000 Landranger) of an area about 150 miles diameter centred on Malaga (and no I don't need the sea bit).

I have an unlocked copy of City Navigator V6 (with my SP3), which is not bad, but I would like greater details of the “outback”.

I don’t need to be able to load the mapping data to a GPS, just a number of waypoints. I then want to be able to download track logs from a number of GPS’s over the mapping / waypoints to check that people have been where they claim to have been!

I have a few digital mapping products that would take .jpg or similar files of maps and allow me to calibrate them, including Memory-Map and Touratech QV so I could possibly do it by scanning in paper maps but as I’m a lazy git I’d rather get them by some other means. Can anyone help?

Michelin 446 fits the bill exactly.
Have a look HERE or ring them +44 0 1225 707004 £4.49 +p&p Going there with me bruv late september then back up the costas.

Attachments

• michmap.jpg
    michmap.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 284
Bob:

Just some background info for you - the availability of detailed electronic cartography for any given country is entirely dependent on how much progress the government of that country has made converting their paper maps into electronic (vector-based) format.

Companies such as Nav-Tech and eTak might be willing to invest the money into creating vector maps of big urban areas from paper maps, but there is no way they will ever bother to convert all the rural roads - just no ROI for them. This explains why there is reasonably good coverage of the big urban areas in Spain - e.g. Madrid, Malaga itself - but very spotty coverage of the outback. The same applies to the Czech Republic, where NavTech did Prague, but the government has not made any progress on the rest of the country.

We had a similar problem in Canada up until the end of 2003 - NavTech had done the 6 biggest cities, but the government did not get the hinterland converted to vector format until about the summer of 2003. As soon as the Canadian government got the hinterland converted, a Canadian company (DMTI Spatial) struck a deal with Garmin to supply this info in Garmin's format, and the result was MetroGuide Canada Version 4, which has amazing coverage of all the dog sled trails in the Arctic, canoe portages in the national parks, Hudson Bay Company traplines, Lewis and Clark's original footprints, etc.

Bottom line - until the government of the country concerned gets the job done, you won't ever see much more than just the biggest cities available. Now you know why the Republic of Ireland is still not available, even though all the rest of the EC countries (excepting the ones south of the Alps and Pyrenees) are 100% complete.

PanEuropean

Haha, looking to go to Andalucia next year, virus permitting, but was searching on "Hinterland" the Oxford jacket, and found this old thread which has pointed me on which hard copy map to get. Mapping on the Sat Navs has improved over the last 16 years!

Have you ever thought ‘why is UK mapping carried out by Ordnance Survey?’

Have you ever thought ‘why is UK mapping carried out by Ordnance Survey?’

IIRC it's either to do with the landowners being able to prove what they own, so they can keep the plebs off. Or, it was for military purposes, especially around the various Jacobite rebellions.

If you want detail in the ‘outback’, my experience, east of malaga, has been old military paper maps which I have double checked with google maps.

Have a look at eBay item # 273504326466

You would need a GPS that takes raster maps.

Back
Top Bottom