Gathering of the Clans 2010

• Thread starter Deleted account rno
  • Start date
What were the midges like? Monster dive bombing bastards or timorous cowering wee beasties?

'Cos earlier in the year does have some advantages, although I did notice the snow in the Glen Coe pics.

What were the midges like? Monster dive bombing bastards or timorous cowering wee beasties?

'Cos earlier in the year does have some advantages, although I did notice the snow in the Glen Coe pics.

Would you come if it was earlier or was it just a suggestion for the rest of us to chance the trip North in shite weather?

Please don't make it earlier, the midges weren't a great problem :)

Thursday eve whilst wasting time with the Bede and Klanky they were narsty :eek
there were dabs of snow all many very high peaks :thumb

I managed to avoid they Midges until Sunday morning, I then proceeded to give some of them a snack to keep them going until my return :D

Stewart

Would you come if it was earlier or was it just a suggestion for the rest of us to chance the trip North in shite weather?

To quote the great Meatloaf: You took the words right out of my mouth...:thumb

I fink that another one in Ullapool is definitely the way to go for the next GOTC.

Although I can appreciate the comments by Flash regarding seeing as much as possible, it must be said that Ullapool is probably one of the only locations that can cater for such a large wide and varied group such as ourselves without compromising in some area:

Wide choice of good accom and camping facilities. Not scattered across some great big bloody town.

Enough pubs and eateries to accommodate everyone with a campsite condusive to dining/drinking al fresco in nice surroundings.
Plus the ability to 'just nip up the road' to the next boozer/eaterie if you want to catch up with a different group of Tossers without feeling isolated.

Compact to the point that it doesn't feel like a 'town' at all.

It's safe, no gangs of drunken Neds and Chavs (apart from our lot...) and it's safe to leave expensive motorcycles outside on a night.

Tolerant local Constabulary (yes, you Flash:augie)

And the best roads in Britain.

I say bring on Ullapool for GOTC 2010 and then re-assess for 2011.

I think 2010 is going to be rather busy.......

I wanted to come this year, but other commitments* prevailed, my experience in Scotland in late May/early June is that the midges are an occasional nuisance, unlike later in the year when there are hordes of the little sods and all the Avon skinsosoft won't prevent them from regarding me as dinner.

But as was pointed out, midges are less of a problem in a B+B, which is probably what I would prefer since it didn't seem too expensive.

More an appeal not to have it later in the year I think, but shite weather is always a risk any time.

* being in charge of the two youngest kids while the other half took the eldest camping with the Scouts

I had a great weekend in Ullapool. The only fly in the ointment for me was the curious way the Ceilidh Place had of segregating hotel guests from everyone else when it came to mealtimes (well, breakfast) which meant that although Garfield and I went in for brekky together on Saturday, we had to eat in different rooms! :confused:

And they have a bit of a captive market on Sunday mornings too... :(

Didn't spoil the weekend for me though. Just a niggle.

Oh, and hopefully next time I'll be wearing something more waterproof than a Hein Gericke Journey suit...:blast :blast :blast

I'm sure that Johnny (HRH) will agree that the venue and dates (dates still to be officially confirmed) aren't really open to debate due to other factors like alternative UKGSer events and both of us having decided that we'll have it in Ullapool next year :pullface :D :D

I had a great weekend in Ullapool. The only fly in the ointment for me was the curious way the Ceilidh Place had of segregating hotel guests from everyone else when it came to mealtimes (well, breakfast) which meant that although Garfield and I went in for brekky together on Saturday, we had to eat in different rooms! :confused:

And they have a bit of a captive market on Sunday mornings too... :(

Didn't spoil the weekend for me though. Just a niggle.

I'm guessing here but wonderin' if that's to keep the non payers (the hotel guests who'd paid for BnB) apart fae the plebs who were wanderin' in aff the street having shook themsels oot o' tents and bunks. Maybe for ease in collecting monies?

I'm guessing here but wonderin' if that's to keep the non payers (the hotel guests who'd paid for BnB) apart fae the plebs who were wanderin' in aff the street having shook themsels oot o' tents and bunks. Maybe for ease in collecting monies?

Probably more noticeable since we had hotel dwellers, bunkers, and campers all fraternising together.

I suppose if I was a genuine rufty-tufty world travelling adventurer I'd have camped and made my own cornflakes out of weevils, anyhow. :drool

It's really got to be in Ullapool again :nod

I tentatively phoned the Ceilidh Place to say thanks and was pleasantly surprised to hear that they thought we were great guests. No damage, mess or unpaid bills :D Only mystery being mising sheets and a threadbear carpet in two of the Bunkhoose rooms :thumb

I just hope it fits in with my rota - it was a perfect venue and an absolute hoot....great time:clap:clap:clap

Book me in for two oors in the campsite and the rest of Friday on the bunkhoose shitter flair:thumb2

I fink that another one in Ullapool is definitely the way to go for the next GOTC.

Although I can appreciate the comments by Flash regarding seeing as much as possible, it must be said that Ullapool is probably one of the only locations that can cater for such a large wide and varied group such as ourselves without compromising in some area:

Wide choice of good accom and camping facilities. Not scattered across some great big bloody town.

Enough pubs and eateries to accommodate everyone with a campsite condusive to dining/drinking al fresco in nice surroundings.
Plus the ability to 'just nip up the road' to the next boozer/eaterie if you want to catch up with a different group of Tossers without feeling isolated.

Compact to the point that it doesn't feel like a 'town' at all.

It's safe, no gangs of drunken Neds and Chavs (apart from our lot...) and it's safe to leave expensive motorcycles outside on a night.

Tolerant local Constabulary (yes, you Flash:augie)

And the best roads in Britain.

I say bring on Ullapool for GOTC 2010 and then re-assess for 2011.

I think 2010 is going to be rather busy.......

I wus thinking one of the best bits is the number of routes through the north, north west and north east highlands within an easy days ride that start and end in Ullapool. Never ceases to amaze me the variation in scenery.
Maybe the Applecross loop next year Klanky?

The weather is often good late May early June, plus we were lucky that there was a breeze blowing much of the time which kept the midgies grounded.

Single room at the Ceilidh Place please. Is this the first single room request?

I like Freeloaders new avatar, I know where he got it too!

Back
Top Bottom