Ténéré owners sign in

Tim Cullis

Scotland lover
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Putney, London and the Altiplano de Granada
The Ténéré now has its own area rather than lumped in with 'thumpers' and many of the past threads in other areas of UKGSer have now been consolidated here.

It would be great to know who owns one so please sign in below if you're a Ténéré owner.

tenere-pavey-ark.jpg

In Greater Langdale with Pavey Ark obscured by clouds
And yes, I need colour-coordinated ratchet straps :)

Blue (with yellow flashes on the rear of the tank)
Registered May 2009
Mileage now 1350 of which just 50 is down to me
Will be used for piste riding in Morocco

Currently standard other than hand guards/deflectors

Planning to fit Centech fuse box via relay to switched power to feed
- Zumo 550
- heated grips
- Gerbing regulator for heated jacket
- Hella aux socket (per GS)

Thinking about HID conversion and/or additional 'presence' lights, plus Stebel Magnum horn
Will probably add Metal Mule pannier rails as I already have the panniers

First impressions: It's not as high as I remember when I first rode one in Ouarzazate (my inside leg is 30"). Good fun and tractable.

Tim

White & red Tenere.
Registered new 16/6/08.
Mileage now 5800.
Used for long distance trail rides.

Factory options:
Engine bars.
Bash plate.
Headlight protector.

Mods include:
Single sided exhaust can.
One tooth lower front sprocket.
Acerbis Multi-plo handguards.
Oxford sports heated grips.
Pirelli MT21 tyres.
Rimlocks front/rear.

Fors:
New price.
Brakes.
Looks and presence.
Fuel capacity/consumption.
Easily maintained.

Againsts:
Rear cushdrive is poor.
17" rear wheel.
Non adjustable damping front or rear suspension.

387225720_C3n4c-M-1.jpg

P9200297.jpg

pix006.jpg

Timpo.

Me too, I've got one.

Absolutely standard 09, apart from the white paint job and colour coordinating hand guards, and a 'Peatbog' rear rack so I can tie on my HG toerag bag.

Going to be fitting a Nuvi660 in a bit.

Would like to get a main stand and perhaps an engine plate/guard, but I'm fairly patient.

I really should get a headlight protector.. and a tank bag... and erm, there's bound to be something else.

I have one too :D
It's not without it's faults but overall i am well impressed :thumb2
A friend of mine had one go on it then went and bought one :comfort
I got it more for adventure touring :augie
Mark and i will be putting them to the test around europe next year :D

DSC_1751Large.jpg

Would also be interested on what you think of the Yam Tim compared to your 650GS....?
I have rode a new 800GS offroad and thought the engine was not the best for offroad...The Yam is much more user friendly IMHO

Last september in the Alps - (Previously posted on XT660.com/ADVrider)
Gonna reluctantly have to sell it soon due to retirement and emigration.
sized_DSCF1601.jpg

sized_DSCF1626.jpg

sized_DSCF1595.jpg

I've had my 2008 white Tenere for about 3 weeks now, I wanted one when they first came out but decided to go for an X Challenge instead.
Bought mine second hand with 3000 miles on the clock, previous owner had put everything on it, panniers, bash plate, engine,headlight and hand protectors, MT21's and a custom made seat.
Couldn't resist buying one after I rode with a guy on a french rally who had one of those beautifull blue ones with a Leo Vince exhaust system on it.
So far its a great bike.

Bought my Tenere new in January this year done nearly 5000 miles.

Great little bike on and off road.

Lakeland200909thmayXT660COM002.jpg

Gary.

Thoughts on new Tenere.......Good or Bad!!!

I purchased my new Tenere three months ago after much research and a test ride. I was looking for a bike similar to my old KTM 640 Adv but without the reliability issues.
I knew about a few problems with the bike and was prepared to live with/rectify them as I believed they were not too serious....

Having recently returned from a 2,000 mile ride through France (4,000 miles on the clock now) I feel I have enough knowledge to make comment and offer unbiased advice to anyone contemplating buying one.

Despite the figures (power, weight etc) the Tenere really does perform; it covers distance with ease, will cruise at 80/85mph all day, handles extremely well, has good brakes and has a 23 litre fuel cell with a range of 300 miles - if the speed is kept below 70mph. It carries luggage well and the standard screen keeps the wind at bay (I'm 6ft 1). Apart from the odd gravel track I've not ventured off road but I believe it would be well capable as it carries its weight well and feels very well balanced. The suspension, despite having a limited range of adjustments is spot on and gives good feedback.

I have the Yamaha top box which I recommend, the factory engine bars, oxford hot grips and I retro fitted Ktm handguards(they will fit with a little help from a dremmel). One of the problems that needs looking at is the turbulence problem; over 40mph wind passes under the headlight, hits the fuel tank and is directed upwards between the front of the tank and handlebars - not a problem wearing a road helmet but with a peaked helmet (Arai Tour x or similar) it creates a nodding dog effect and is dangerous and induces nausia. I made a "screen" which I have fitted below the headlight which blocks the wind....problem solved.

The "other" Problem, with a capital "P" is the vibration. Having owned and made several trips through N Africa on big singles I'm no stranger to the vibes.
The Tenere is bad here and I believe the vibrations are responsible for other problems.....the mounting bracket for the hot grips snapped, the Yamaha engine bars snapped, the cush drive rubbers are falling apart (they have taken on a resemblence to chewing gum) and the resonance through the already very uncomfortable seat makes it a real pain after two or three hours. The broken skin/scab on my a**e a sign of how serious it is.

To sum up.......the Tenere is good, very good.........If you can put up with the terrible seat and vibrations; Sadly I can't and the thought of another long trip is reason enough for me to be selling it. I'd be happy to use one for blasting around the UK but to go overseas....no thankyou.

The bike is now for sale........offers anyone?:)
Kev

This is mine

Its an older 1985 55w model. owned by a few people on the site. Went for test ride up and down a old airfield yesterday and its pretty good runner , alot more powerfull than i rembered them to be and light compaired to modern versions:augie
However theres a few oil leaks and a thread or 2 that will need helicoils in and other work to make into a good bike again:D
looking forward to riding it when all jobs are done:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2,760
This is my 1991 XTZ660 Tenere with Ailsa Craig in the background. I rode it up to Ayrshire where I was working earlier this year on The Open at Turnberry. This pic was taken on one of the routes from my cottage near Colmonell to site, near Pinbraid Trout Reservoir. The bike was surprisingly comfy on the long run as long as speeds were kept below 80. It was just perfect for the potholed back roads. It is my everyday `hack` but I have grown to love riding it.

Attachments

• Reduced On way to work with Ailsa Craig in background.JPG
    Reduced On way to work with Ailsa Craig in background.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,675
I've had my 2008 white Tenere for about 3 weeks now, I wanted one when they first came out but decided to go for an X Challenge instead.
Bought mine second hand with 3000 miles on the clock, previous owner had put everything on it, panniers, bash plate, engine,headlight and hand protectors, MT21's and a custom made seat.
Couldn't resist buying one after I rode with a guy on a french rally who had one of those beautifull blue ones with a Leo Vince exhaust system on it.
So far its a great bike.

How's it compare to the XChallenge?

tenere, wot tenere?

got three so far (dont ask!) all '86 1vj's. 1 white 2 blue. been to iceland on one and girlfriend came round eastern europe on one. tempted by the nu un. hmmmm....

My good old 1997 XTZ-660 Tenere is now replaced by GS Adventure, but I still in love with her, as her perfect and loyal service for past 7 years is absolutely unforgetable.

:beerjug:

my new toy - XT660Z Tenere in Black!

Hi mate,

Just bought my new XT660Z tenere with 800 miles on the clock, shes now got 2000 on and have not really been anywhere yet - but its only a matter of time. Would like to get across the water on it next year !! maybe a few french camping trips ahead?!

Its standard at the moment but hope to get heated grips a Puig black taller screen annd rear hugger. I love it.

:beer:

unfortunately - not sure if im being a bit thick but cant figure out how to get a picture on here : (

Back
Top Bottom